Jolly drivers

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Jolly drivers

Postby invented » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:15 am

Type: General error
Description: remove Burlington. not here
Reported on: Sep-08

reported near Sarnia, about 3.5 hours from Burlington.

Description: Burlington not here
Reported on: Jul-20

thank you, I know.
invented

Postby invented » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:11 am

Description: remove. unknown. nothing to know.
Reported on: Aug-01

Description: remove Unknown. nothing to know
Reported on: Aug-01

This is likely referring to the ubiquitous City of "Unknown" that plagues the Canadian map, due to many parking lot and private basemapped segments coming in with a city field of "Unknown". Once they are all quashed (to be completed in 2083) it will disappear, but this is kind of funny.
Last edited by invented on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
invented

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Can't wait to see the UR from this one... :roll:
[ img ]http://xkcd.com/1116/

That is awesome! :lol: Looks like IGN work there!
jasonh300

Postby HandofMadness » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Description: it's Kaiser Elementary not Kaiser Elementary

I'll get right on th....wait a second....

(Bonus, no elementary school near UR location)
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Can't wait to see the UR from this one... :roll:
[ img ]http://xkcd.com/1116/
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Type: Incorrect address
Description: Hi, My house address is ## XXXXXX Lane, CITY, CT. My house is 4th house on the left on XXXXXX Lane. Make a left from XXX Lane to XXXXXX Lane and my house is 4th house on the left. But its showing a different house address. I am unable to edit the marker point which Waze is showing. Even mapquest is showing the same. So I sent an email to mapquest with the latitude and longitude details of my house. I am not knowing how to edit this marker point and move it to the right location. Can anyone of you look in to this and edit this. The latitude and longitude details of my house are ##.######,-##.###### but currently your showing as ##.######,-##.###### which is incorrect. Thank you Meera

All Hail Meera for the amazing level of detail in this report... Now, where did I put that link the GPS update resources...
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:17 am

+1

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:21 am

bgodette wrote:This has value for truck drivers, people with trailers, u-hauls, 1960's VW Beetles, etc, but will likely have to wait for vehicle profile support in the client. It'd also be awesome if routing would take that into consideration and provide a route that doesn't exceed your set max by more than a few %. This would make Waze usable in Urban areas for scooter riders without horribly corrupting traffic data or endangering the rider.

And people like me who sometimes keep it under 65 on the interstate to save gas.
jasonh300

Postby foxitrot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:05 pm

(I'm getting pretty of-topic here...)

harling wrote:
foxitrot wrote:... on some roads I'm occasionally driving much slower than their average speed. In such cases the ETA is totally unusable and I'd appreciate an option in the client for specifying my personal preferred max speed.

If you're driving slower than prevailing traffic for some other reason, I don't see how any other nav is going to give you a better estimate.

While using many "offline" navis (and route planners) I was often able to define my driving speed profile (city, outside, freeway). I'm aware it is less important with Waze's historical data, but was pretty good customizable on roads where the road profile was not the speed limiting factor.

bgodette wrote:I may be misunderstanding foxitrot's suggestion, but what I gather is he'd like to be able to set a Max Speed and have ETA take that into account if the route uses segments where the current/historical average is higher than that.

Exactly.

harling wrote:Waze's speed data is correlated to time of day * * I'm not sure if it also takes into account weekday vs. weekend, season, holidays etc.

It seems to take all single week(end)-days into account and distinguish between them. (I'm not sure whether the discovered shifts by 8 hours and later 24 hours were already fixed.)

Upon Waze's advertisement (Outsmart The Memorial Day Traffic with Waze) it is apparent, that Waze aims and tries to take also seasons into account... and must have prepared (or selected) data for this particular day (at least 1 year) in advance. But the seasons off course do differ between countries. Thus I've contacted them a few days later with a question, whether they would be interested in gathering specific dates for particular countries. They replied with their well-known silence :|

It also does not take long-term holidays into account, probably for the same reason. Which causes huge data pollution, with rather long catch-up phase during+after summer holidays.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:59 pm

harling wrote:
foxitrot wrote:Except that on some roads I'm occasionally driving much slower than their average speed. In such cases the ETA is totally unusable and I'd appreciate an option in the client for specifying my personal preferred max speed.

Waze's speed data is correlated to time of day*, so it takes time-of-day variations into account. If you're driving slower because overall traffic is slower, Waze's ETA should be accurate. If you're driving slower than prevailing traffic for some other reason, I don't see how any other nav is going to give you a better estimate.

* I'm not sure if it also takes into account weekday vs. weekend, season, holidays etc.
I may be misunderstanding foxitrot's suggestion, but what I gather is he'd like to be able to set a Max Speed and have ETA take that into account if the route uses segments where the current/historical average is higher than that.

This has value for truck drivers, people with trailers, u-hauls, 1960's VW Beetles, etc, but will likely have to wait for vehicle profile support in the client. It'd also be awesome if routing would take that into consideration and provide a route that doesn't exceed your set max by more than a few %. This would make Waze usable in Urban areas for scooter riders without horribly corrupting traffic data or endangering the rider.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor