Android beta 3.4.99.110 Feedback thread

Moderators: Unholy, hilaroth

Re: Android beta 3.4.99.110 Feedback thread

Postby khaytsus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:34 pm

a4bolek wrote:
khaytsus wrote:
FreeMan12 wrote:I've taken a look at the "test", "test2" and "test3" color schemes, and I'm not particularly fond of them, which isn't a huge deal at all - that's why there are multiple schemes. However, I'm a bit miffed that after looking at them and deciding that I don't like them, when I go back to the "Map editors" color scheme, I still get "test" as the night scheme.

Isn't there only one night scheme? Or does changing the day theme also change the night theme? AFAIK there's only one, and it's been changed.

However, this one is the bomb, IMO. I'm loving the look, just wish I had a better way to refresh it when Waze updates.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11873&start=20#p250867

Obviously we are smoking different stuff. IMO current night mode colour scheme is atrocious beyond imagination. Not to mention premature degradation of OLED screens.

So.. I'll leave my original post there so you can read it again, slower this time.

To summarize: I think there's only one night scheme in Waze. IE: Not a pair of schemes per setting. One night scheme.

And there is a great alternative night scheme in the URL provided.

I did not say the current Waze night scheme is good.
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2012 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Samsung Galaxy Note (i717 AT&T; AOKP 4.4.4)
khaytsus
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby khaytsus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:47 pm

FreeMan12 wrote:Thanks for the link, khaytsus. Based on that, I've begun modifying my night color scheme, and will probably end up with a mashup of the various ones people provided over there. I do have to remember to make a backup of what I end up with so I don't lose all my settings with the next beta or release version that comes out. Hopefully, Waze will see fit to give us some options for night scheme, too, and maybe even a "User customized" option that will be left behind during updates so we don't have to backup/restore manually each time there's an update.

I put in the form about themes the ability to have multiple night themes, just like day, but your idea is great. User themes. Even if it's not "user facing", a theme you can create and drop in and doesn't get clobbered.

Back before Map Editors theme, I used to have to manually fix the default theme to the Map Editors theme all of the time. I'm sure I could come up with a way to automate it with Tasker if I tried. :)
USA Country Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
khaytsus
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby khaytsus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 pm

wimdelange wrote:In my opinion there is a problem with the alerts on slow traffic you get. While I'm driving 70 km/h on a busy highway I get always (every half hour drive once or twice) one or two alerts on slow traffic. That would be nice if the slow traffic is on my route, but that is often not the case.
This is the the case in the non beta version (as far as I know).

There are two problems here: Why do I get alerts while driving? Can alerts on my route, or very close by, have more priority?

You have it set to show reports, in the settings. Look in there. If you have it set to show reports from someone in a group you're in, you'll see it, driving or not.
USA Country Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
khaytsus
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby khaytsus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:35 pm

I randomly get "Could not communicate with the routing service" (maybe not that exact wording) when I first start on a drive... I suspect it's related to looking up favorites/time of day etc, as it's usually when I am leaving work.

What I don't understand is my network connectivity isn't changing, so I don't know why it'd fail, but it does it pretty frequently. It's possible it's a server load thing, as I do leave work around rush hour.

Anyone else seeing this? Not sure if it's a bug in the client, server, etc.
USA Country Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
khaytsus
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby khaytsus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:59 pm

khaytsus wrote:
deeggo wrote:Some thoughts on Waze closing in the background.

Since a couple of weeks I changed my HTC DesireHD for a HTC One X. I found out fast that Waze closes more often in the background on my new device than on my old, although its specs are higher. That has been this way with the current market version and the last 3.4.99 betas. Switching from Waze to the gmail app and reading an e-mail can be enough to trigger this.

With closing in the background I mean that the Waze icon stays in the task bar, but when switching to it, Waze relaunches as if it wasn't running at all.

Apparently, the One X (or Android 4) memory management is more aggressive. I'm never using any task killers.

Here's some info on this subject, that was found during the development of Flitsnav, a Dutch GPS program that was experiencing exactly the same during development. I hope it can help you improve this behaviour, since several users are reporting this.

Waze closing in the background has to do with Android's Out Of Memory (OOM) management.

Some info on OOM_adj (-17 tot +15): The LOWER the value, the MORE important Android thinks the process is.

Foreground Application: -16 to 0
Visible Application: 1
Secondary Server: 2
Hidden Application: 3 to 7
Content Provider: 8 to 14
Empty Application: 15

Maybe you can adjust Waze, so that it sets is own OOM_adj to -17 and repeats that every 5 seconds for instance?

I've been (attempting to) research this more to help provide specific info on how they can help here.... -17 isn't possible without root, and I believe the app must be a system app to do this at all. And in reality, -17 is probably not a good idea.

startForeground was my next idea, but according to Google engineers this is also a bad idea, unless you want your app running 24/7. We don't really want that.

So I dug into what Waze is running as today using an app called AutoKiller Memory Optimizer (no, it's not a task killer, it's pretty cool low level view of OOM levels etc on apps etc), and it seems to always be a "Hidden app" or "Previous app" in Jelly Bean, which puts it somewhere between 7-9 on the OOM kill list. Lower is better. A "Perceptible service" is better, at around 2, but I'm failing to find how to specify that in the app code/manifest... I think if Waze can figure out how to set itself as a "Perceptible service" it'll unlikely get killed unless memory is truly low.

Today, Waze seems to have the same priority as any other background app, and since it's large it'll probably be highest on the list to be killed. I've pondered some of the tweaks/patches that adjust the ICS/JB OOM priority list but I don't want to patch my ROM constantly, and of course that would only help me out. ;) So it'd be nice if the Waze guys can figure out a way to lower their OOM priority while the app is in the background. I'm sure it can be done, but I can't find any details offhand on what to specify in the startup or manifest or such.

I'm going to experiment with making Waze a system app.. Just for giggles, see what happens. I've heard system apps have better (lower in number) priority and are "harder" to kill.

One more post on this subject.. I've talked to the Tasker dev a bit about this, since I found the following..

If I use Autokiller (a task viewer, lets me see some details) for Tasker I see:
OOM 1, OOM group: Visible, Importance: Visible.

Waze is
OOM: 7, OOM Group: Content Provider, Importance: Background

His suggestion is that maybe that Waze is not doing startForerground method in the Service class.

http://developer.android.com/reference/ ... ication%29

But I'd think this was already being done in Waze. Tasker stays at its settings mentioned above, where I've seen Waze as "Foreground" or "Vislble" and OOM:2 then a few seconds later, it's "Content Provider" "Background" and OOM 7-9. Again, I wish I knew anything about actual Android development to make more specific suggestions on what to change.
USA Country Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
khaytsus
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby khaytsus » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Colonel667 wrote:I have the push notification feature turned off. Yet when I restart my phone, I got Waze running in the background. 1 process and 1 service:

- PushService
- Waze

Now when I actually run Waze and exit it again, none of them will be running in the background afterwards.

(Android 2.3.7)

Interesting, I had noticed that too but didn't pin it down to just reboots, I thought it was just randomly restarting itself.

I wish Waze would tell us exactly what "Push Notifications" means. I haven't yet seen it here. Does that mean users can be contacted directly via the Client? A post somewhere mentioned from the Forum, but I'd have to guess 98% of users aren't in the forums, etc.. It'd be nice to know what it's doing, how it can be used, etc..
USA Country Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
khaytsus
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby khaytsus » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Waze was crashing on me on launch today, couldn't get it to stop so I had to uninstall it and nuke the SD card files, and lost my favorites!? I thought this stuff was stored on the server? Meh.
USA Country Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
khaytsus
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Majumdar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:59 am

ryanh85 wrote:Noticed this in last beta, and its still in this one. I am listed as having a level of Royalty Wazer but graph shows me as a Baby Wazer

Same here (noticed in last beta as well)...

Cheers,
Rob
Area Manager - Quebec, Canada

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Android 4.4.4 | Waze Beta 3.9.3 | Telus Mobility
Majumdar

Re: Re: Android beta 3.4.99.110 Feedback thread

Postby Majumdar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:53 am

Autourdupc wrote:Should we have 3 diffrents icons for traffic jam ?
1 icon with 1 car (means little issue)
1 icon with 2 cars (means important issue)
1 icon with 3 cars (means traffic stopped)
Actually, we have the same icon for both cases

This could be clear to read !
Image1.jpg

Interesting suggestion but I suspect 3.5 is "feature-frozen" given that we are at a. 99 beta and the focus is on squishing bugs in the existing feature set.

Robin
Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2
Area Manager - Quebec, Canada

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Android 4.4.4 | Waze Beta 3.9.3 | Telus Mobility
Majumdar

Postby markcurrancavan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:39 am

Feedback on Waze 3.4.99.110:

1. I drove about 350-500km over the past week with this new beta version. Very stable and had no performance issues. If anything I think the battery consumption was better on this version over the last.
2. On New UI, its nice but I find streets hard to see on the map with the new test theme. Primary Streets and higher are OK.
3. Foursquare integration is my biggest gripe. The checkin option is gone! Could'nt believe this is still gone. Really hoping this get re-added in the next beta version.
4. I still noticed that closing Waze takes ALOT longer now over the 3.2 version on Play. I actually thought it had crashed but its actually just slow closing.
5. On my status page it says I joined Waze 1 ago when I'm almost 2 years on Waze. Something wrong with that data its querying.
6. I noticed that in places of poor internet access that the UI does freeze but if picked up again once the network connection improves. The previous version of Waze did not do this.
7. The new closure button does nothing (this is were the foursquare button used to be). I cannot even select the button.
8. I'm not a FaceBook fan at all so could never see myself using that feature. I do find it strange that waze has chosen to align itself with the Facebook community.

General Ongoing Feedback on Waze:

1. I'm using a xperia s HD running android 4.0.4. When you select the Menu or Report on the Waze UI the resulting window is formatted for a 4.1 inch screen, however this phone has a 4.3 inch screen. The display is actually 16 million colours, 1280 x 720 pixels. The buttons really should be larger on this type of phone and expanded to the full width of the screen on these type of phones. I'd imagine all phones with a larger display than 4.1 inch would have this problem.
2. Navigation: Every time I start Waze the navigation automatically asks me if I want to goto work. I wish there was a way to turn off the auto navigation prompts and that you had to manually activate it when you want or need navigation.
3. My Scoreboard: If you go into My Scoreboard and select My Rank, the new page jumped down a little and hides the Me, Friends and All buttons. Its only a minor UI problem but is kinda annoying as you have to scroll back up to see the buttons again.
markcurrancavan

PreviousNext

Return to App Beta Testing