[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov 16

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: [Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov

Postby CBenson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:12 pm

I utterly disagree. There are plenty of one way roads and turn restrictions in the suburban areas that I deal with. I have always found that Waze routes better through an area full of soft restrictions than an area that has been blindly QWd. The selfcons really don't have that much of an effect on routing.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skapur1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:55 am

CrackedLCD wrote:
Timbones wrote:And it's not even specific to the JNF script - any editor can use QW on every junction node they see with red arrows, blindly allowing all turns without adding value to the map and destroying any information that may have been there.

Displaying 'measles' to every road just presented another excuse to 'fix' junctions that didn't need fixing.

This line of thinking may be appropriate for where you live, but in my part of the US, minor roads on Waze are often very heavily travelled despite not qualifying for primary or minor/major highway status. And in suburban areas, we don't have one way streets or, for that matter, much in the way of turn restrictions, so blindly allowing turns and fixing revcons are actually not that harmful for 99% of the area that I cover.

I agree but only for residential areas.

In rural and suburban US residential areas one way streets and turn restrictions are extremely rare. They are other mapping sources/satellite images that can be scanned to see if there are any such turn restrictions or one way streets in an area and if there are none, but every intersection in Waze has them, then Waze is grossly incorrect and may need some "blind" correction.

It is better to remove them to improve routing for 99% of the routes then to leave them be so that only 1% of the routes are correct. A driver who should always obey posted signs and not follow Waze blindly.

In suburban and rural US one way roads or turn restrictions are usually for parking lots, drive thrus, split roads and private roads leading to building entrances (e.g. schools, hotels, office buildinngs, shopping malls etc.).

Urban areas and even rural towns are completely different and do have many one way roads and loads of turn restrictions. This is one of the reasons a lot of people like to live in the 'burbs.
skapur1

Postby CrackedLCD » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Timbones wrote:And it's not even specific to the JNF script - any editor can use QW on every junction node they see with red arrows, blindly allowing all turns without adding value to the map and destroying any information that may have been there.

Displaying 'measles' to every road just presented another excuse to 'fix' junctions that didn't need fixing.

This line of thinking may be appropriate for where you live, but in my part of the US, minor roads on Waze are often very heavily travelled despite not qualifying for primary or minor/major highway status. And in suburban areas, we don't have one way streets or, for that matter, much in the way of turn restrictions, so blindly allowing turns and fixing revcons are actually not that harmful for 99% of the area that I cover.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ditchi56 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Some areas of suburban streets have "red arrows" pointing each way at every turn. Clearly these have never been edited since the base map was loaded.

Surely with such areas it is best to start by naming all streets and enabling all turns deep within the suburbs? Turns on/off main roads I check, but experience suggests that it is very rare indeed for turns away from main roads in the suburbs to be restricted; sufficiently rare that I think checking them is not a good use of time.

To repeat myself for emphasis, I am only suggesting suppressing "red arrows" without further investigation in areas which have clearly never been manually edited, and even then not along major roads.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby mssusa » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 am

I've seen even level 5s touching segments every now and then using scripts just for points without actually changing or fixing anything. The points system should just be scrapped.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Timbones » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:49 am

And it's not even specific to the JNF script - any editor can use QW on every junction node they see with red arrows, blindly allowing all turns without adding value to the map and destroying any information that may have been there.

Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby dknight212 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:33 am

I am now convinced Tim was correct in not highlighting issues on more minor roads. Time and again in my virtual travels I've come across whole swathes of areas where people have just set two way directions and then used JNF without little or no attempt to name or set correct directions. I have no real issue with using JNF on areas otherwise sorted but at the moment scores are artificially inflated by this trend. Get proper editing people, please!

Rant over.
dknight212

Postby iainhouse » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 pm

I would like to suggest an additional highlight - roundabout junctions with soft turns.

I understand that it's not really neccessary to highlight soft turns in general - it would probably tempt people to go around "fixing" them without adding any real value to the map. However, as far as I am aware, roundabouts should never have soft turns. The JNF script includes removing these automatically and I think WME Addons does something similar.

If roundabout junctions with soft turns had a nice yellow dot, similar to the red & purple ones, it would save me a lot of time speculatively checking roundabouts. :)
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby orbitc » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Tim,
I wanted to tell you that your scripts are Awesome. Thanks
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby bz2012 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 pm

I suggest the highlight be either 1/2 the width of the road and denser OR 2 times the width of the road and much less dense.

Some highlighting can be done wider+translucent while others can be narrower+darker.

Either of those combinations should show up no matter what the background coloring.

The times I have trouble are when the highlight is about the same width as an not highlighted segment and the same color/density.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor