[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov 16

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.3

Postby zCougar » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi,

I often see that new inexperienced map editors change segment levels where not necessary. I have heard different excuse like they have tried to change segment priority or access level.

To hunt down such segments from map is impossible without such a great tool as WME Color Highlights. To make it possible to highlight such segments which has level different than zero I added one more option to the list. You can find the patch here https://gist.github.com/3841752

I didn't want to add too much options right now and "not zero" is a good start. In the future it might be good to see segments with level -1 and +1 also in different color to easily see where are real problems like levels "9" and where are just correct multilevel interchanges.

Cheers and keep up the good work,

--
Cougar
Waze 3.9.5.3: Nexus 4 | Nexus 5 | Nexus 7
CM@Estonia / WME beta tester / Android beta tester
PALUN LOE: Waze eestikeelne juhend wikis
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Timbones » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:57 pm

FreeMan12 wrote:I seem to have run into an issue with the city highlighting. I select a city from the drop down, and not all the roads that are in that city get highlighted.
[...]

That is very odd. I tried it myself, but I could not replicate it. It could be because the Road Data from Waze is incomplete.
Do you get any errors in the Error Console? (Ctrl+Shift+J)

Edit: Send the details via PM...
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby linus71 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi Timbones.
I would like to thank you for the work you've done.
The script that you developed is a fantastic tool!

Last month, some users have destroyed the Italian maps and your script helped us a lot

In addition, I would like to ask you a question inherent to a system that can provide greater protection for maps...

Do you think is possible to create a script that can do some sort of backup of a map?

What I mean is this: for example, in this permalink, the map has been completed
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&l ... FFTFTTTTFT

If a vandal will make some changes to the map, with your script I can easily see where he made ​​changes.
The only way to repair the damage done, is to edit the map again: if the problem is related to a few dozen changes, you can easily fix it.
But if the changes are thousands, it is very difficult to solve the problem in a short time.

It would be great if there was a system that photographs the map and keeps a memory of the original...

You think it is technically possible?

Thanks
Lino
linus71
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby FreeMan12 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:23 pm

Timbones wrote:
FreeMan12 wrote:I seem to have run into an issue with the city highlighting. I select a city from the drop down, and not all the roads that are in that city get highlighted.
[...]

That is very odd. I tried it myself, but I could not replicate it. It could be because the Road Data from Waze is incomplete.
Do you get any errors in the Error Console? (Ctrl+Shift+J)

Edit: Send the details via PM...

It was intermittent as I was updating city values, and now that I'm done with the town I was in, I can't reproduce it. I'll try to remember to check the error console if I run into it again.

EDIT: That's why I included a screen shot, not just a permalink, just to prove I'm not crazy! :)
Samsung Galaxy S5 w/root

Indiana
FreeMan12

Postby harling » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 am

zCougar wrote:I often see that new inexperienced map editors change segment levels where not necessary. I have heard different excuse like they have tried to change segment priority or access level. To hunt down such segments from map is impossible without such a great tool as WME Color Highlights. To make it possible to highlight such segments which has level different than zero I added one more option to the list.

Quite a while ago, I proposed a feature on Uservoice that would display (and make selectable on the map) only roads within a certain range of levels. There are places in Boston where overpasses, surface streets and tunnels all stack on top of each other--with the requisite number of ramps snaking over, under and between throughout--and it can be nigh-impossible to see, let alone adjust, anything without zooming in so close that you can no longer see the "big picture".

The Uservoice page for the map editor is gone, and with it my suggestion, but it occurs to me that it -might- be possible to implement something along those lines using scripting. I expect that the tiles cannot be adjusted to remove undesired segments altogether, but by highlighting included segments, and suppressing selection of & snap-to excluded segments, would at least make it a bit easier.

If anyone would like to give it a shot, I'd be glad to develop a functional spec. (Even dig into the code myself, given some guidance about where I should look.)
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby Timbones » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:23 am

Thing is, do levels actually have any purpose? They might be used for rendering overlapping roads in the client, but they don't influence routing. When there's a fat purple line on top of the map, the levels aren't visible anyway.

Hiding levels won't be possible, as the tiles are drawn on the server.

via mobile
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby harling » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:40 am

Timbones wrote:Thing is, do levels actually have any purpose? They might be used for rendering overlapping roads in the client, but they don't influence routing. When there's a fat purple line on top of the map, the levels aren't visible anyway.

In the jumbles that I have worked on, I have been careful to set relative levels as correctly as I can determine. So, at least in those locations, the ability to view just a cross-section of those levels would accomplish exactly what I need.
Hiding levels won't be possible, as the tiles are drawn on the server.

I realize that they can't be hidden entirely, but they could be subtly de-emphasized visually; maybe slightly greyed-out. It actually wouldn't be bad to know where they are; the big deal would be to get the editor to ignore them when selecting, or adjusting geometry.

In some places, there are so many segments in close proximity that anything you try to move will snap to everything in sight, and even selecting a segment through the tangle of other roads is a challenge--again, unless you zoom in to a microscopic level, then zoom back out for some perspective, then zoom back in to make a geometry change, then zoom back for the big picture again, etc...
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby zCougar » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:31 am

harling wrote:Quite a while ago, I proposed a feature on Uservoice that would display (and make selectable on the map) only roads within a certain range of levels. There are places in Boston where overpasses, surface streets and tunnels all stack on top of each other--with the requisite number of ramps snaking over, under and between throughout--and it can be nigh-impossible to see, let alone adjust, anything without zooming in so close that you can no longer see the "big picture".

The browser does not draw any segments but these come as transparent PNG images from server. Now when you zoom in enough then server sends segment geometry data to the browser and then you can select segments. And at this point scripts are able to change segment color and visibility. I guess it is done so for performance reasons. It is less load to the server, less network traffic and faster UI experience.

The Uservoice page for the map editor is gone, and with it my suggestion, but it occurs to me that it -might- be possible to implement something along those lines using scripting. I expect that the tiles cannot be adjusted to remove undesired segments altogether, but by highlighting included segments, and suppressing selection of & snap-to excluded segments, would at least make it a bit easier.

You are right, the segments can't be removed form the map because these come as images. In theory it should be possible to completely hide the layer where segments are drawn and make all segments drawn by browser visible like they are selected but using different color.

If anyone would like to give it a shot, I'd be glad to develop a functional spec. (Even dig into the code myself, given some guidance about where I should look.)

If you can develop a spec taking in account how Waze works then it might be even possible.

--
Cougar
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby zCougar » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:33 am

Timbones wrote:Thing is, do levels actually have any purpose? They might be used for rendering overlapping roads in the client, but they don't influence routing. When there's a fat purple line on top of the map, the levels aren't visible anyway.

True. These are not critical problems on map but a good indicator of wazers who haven't fully understand how to use WME and a good start for people who would like to work with them :-)

--
Cougar
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:57 pm

Tim, how about an option to change the default background color? White is OK, but sometimes I wish I could make it black.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor