Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Apple and the iO6

Post by txemt
I don't like the maps program on Apple's new software update. I will be sticking with Waze. I did try it out a little bit today and will try it out this weekend, but I've already decided not to use the Apple mapping program. On that note, I did notice something the Apple maps did that Waze doesn't do and I was wondering if there would be an update to programming of Waze. Here's what I noticed:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 7,62374276

I was driving down Wruzbach Blvd and ditched onto Sid Katz as soon as I hit a major traffic jam due to construction. As soon as I turned, I heard "turn right onto Tom Slick Dr" and as soon as I turned onto Tom Slick, I heard "turn right onto Hamilton Wolfe Rd." I noticed that as soon as I turned, Apple maps knew I turned and already had told me I needed to turn again, which is a very short distance. I know Waze would take just a little bit longer to update the route and I may have missed Tom Slick Dr because of that delay Waze has. Is there something in the programming that could be done to make Waze quicker at getting new directions when we veer off course? Or is there nothing that can be done because it's all based on how quickly GPS updates?

On another note, Apple upgraded Siri, so you can open apps just by voice, but the iPhone interprets "Waze" and "ways" and will not open the Waze app. I have no problem with opening it by hands, but this is the other thing I noticed.
txemt

POSTER_ID:8943870

Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by xbassman
RoundTrip wrote:ways and W.A.Z.E both fail for me.

"was" seems to work, it is also how siri pronounces the app. If you say "launch was GPS" or "launch GPS was" you should get WAZE or a list of your installed GPS apps..

It may also depend a little on which region you have your language set to.
Interesting....
Siri understands when I spell Waze.
It is also working when I pronounce it Wozz. (short o).
xbassman
Send a message
Area Mgr. - Tulsa, OK

Post by xbassman
mi2001 wrote:
On another note, Apple upgraded Siri, so you can open apps just by voice, but the iPhone interprets "Waze" and "ways" and will not open the Waze app. I have no problem with opening it by hands, but this is the other thing I noticed.
Try spelling W A Z E. It works for me
Works for me as well.....
xbassman
Send a message
Area Mgr. - Tulsa, OK

Post by txemt
Spazinbc wrote:
ha, i would NEVER use Waze for mapping, especially since in my area it didn't even show rivers. I only use it to view/report traffic conditions and police. Other than that, it's Google maps, Nokia maps, or Mapquest for iOS 6 for me.

Where do you live, Spazinbc?
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
jasonh300 wrote:
Spazinbc wrote: ha, i would NEVER use Waze for mapping, especially since in my area it didn't even show rivers. I only use it to view/report traffic conditions and police. Other than that, it's Google maps, Nokia maps, or Mapquest for iOS 6 for me.
So in other words, you contribute no useful data. You don't run the app and contribute traffic data. You report traffic conditions, which doesnt actually contribute to rerouting around traffic if you're not driving with Waze running. And you post in the forums complaining that the data is bad in a crowd sourced application that you don't contribute to.

Obviously Waze is not the app for you.
I have to agree with you Jason. Why complain about something you know nothing about and don't use often enough to know how beneficial it is for you. I bet this guy is one of those people that will report a "general error" about the map and there's a "user reported GPS" a block long and a "Waze provided route" 5 miles long and we can't figure out what's going on. :)
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
I noticed Apple has said "use the other mapping apps" instead of theirs. Thank goodness for Waze!!!
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
It DID work!!! Last time I tried it, it didn't work. I guess Siri still has a few bugs. Oh well.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
mi2001 wrote:
Try spelling W A Z E. It works for me
I tried that, too and it didn't work.
txemt
Send a message

Post by TexasGuy317
Well I got Siri to open Waze by spelling it out on my iPhone 5, so thanks for the tip (couldn't get her to open it otherwise)

While I do own Navigon, I am fond of Waze.

M
TexasGuy317
Send a message
----------------------------------------------
Wazing somewhere in San Antonio, TX

Post by stevecody
For Siri, say "Launch sounds like Waze" and it works. You can even shorten it to "Launch like Waze". Both work for me, every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message