Why do you edit maps?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Why do you edit maps?

Postby mattlach » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:25 pm

A little bit of a perfectionist here.

When things aren't right, it bothers me, so I fix them.

I had 3 iPhones in a row. (original > 3G > 4) NEVER AGAIN!
mattlach

Postby Kuhlkatz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm a practical joker and I love to see people running around in circles.
What better playground can you ask for than this ? :grin:

That sounds way better than :
I hate it when shizz doesn't work, and I love it when I can actually fix it myself and still benefit from my own work.
And NO, just in case you wondered, the addiction and the competitive edge does not play any role at all, and I'll keep telling myself that.
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby zCougar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:44 pm

When I read these posts I couldn't agree more. All the same reasons plus I have started with map editing when in Estonia there was few streets in the capital and almost no roads outside. Now I guess the capital is 99% mapped. All other big cities are also going better every day. Major highways are mapped, a lot of minor roads as well. And the user base has grown thousands times mostly because of the hard work of map editors. It gives just a good feeling if you can make world a better place to live :-)

--
Cougar
Waze 3.9.5.3: Nexus 4 | Nexus 5 | Nexus 7
CM@Estonia / WME beta tester / Android beta tester
PALUN LOE: Waze eestikeelne juhend wikis
zCougar
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby stevecody » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:43 pm

zCougar wrote:When I read these posts I couldn't agree more. All the same reasons plus I have started with map editing when in Estonia there was few streets in the capital and almost no roads outside. Now I guess the capital is 99% mapped. All other big cities are also going better every day. Major highways are mapped, a lot of minor roads as well.

This is one of the biggest reasons I use Waze and edit maps. I feel like I am helping someone everytime I map out a neighborhood or new roads that aren't currently on the map. It's probably because these are the areas that have frustrated me the most with other GPS systems... the lack of current maps.
Steve Cody
iPhone 4 - Verizon - iOS 6.0.1
AM: Columbia, SC and Sumter, SC
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager

AW: Re: Why do you edit maps?

Postby Teneflip » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:54 pm

mattlach wrote:A little bit of a perfectionist here.

When things aren't right, it bothers me, so I fix them.

Same as me :)
Teneflip

Postby gryzman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Because I like the idea of community working on content like that, some of it makes really sense.
However, when I encounter moments like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1E8RKlbyBs I like to scream and give up.
iPhone 5 Baby
gryzman

Postby jemay » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:42 pm

gryzman wrote:Because I like the idea of community working on content like that, some of it makes really sense.
However, when I encounter moments like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1E8RKlbyBs I like to scream and give up.
The video is private, so not able to view.
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

DROID TURBO 2 - Android 6.0 - Verizon - Waze Ver. 4.2.0.1
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Why do you edit maps?

Postby lordkaosu » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:56 pm

gryzman wrote:Because I like the idea of community working on content like that, some of it makes really sense.

Please make the video public!
lordkaosu

Why do you edit maps?

Postby lordkaosu » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:59 pm

I edit maps so the routing works.

I really like the routes Waze chooses over Google or other nav apps I have tried. The maps are the weakest point but at least I can help that out.
lordkaosu

Postby wifiwi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:41 pm

LOL this is an interesting question. I don't have an answer, as it's more of a journey for me. I started out reporting map issues not knowing I could fix them myself. Of course, I'd prefer to be lazy and let someone else fix them, but I learned how and they are easy to fix.

I hate wrong answers. I'd rather hear "I don't know" than to hear or see a wrong, or worse (i.e stupid) answer. So, I've been poking about fixing things I know are wrong or missing. Detail is important. Missing detail is annoying. I can be O-C sometimes.

However, the rules for editing, need to change or the frustration is not worth my time. There was a beautiful map fix someone did for a problem I saw, but someone else undid the fix. I fixed the error myself then, and that was undone too. WTF!? is my usual exclamation when I drive by and see the failed map display.

PLEASE PLEASE come up with a more authoritative way to validate changes by wazers "at large". Establish community leaders. Let them help validate changes. Measure who drives by these points every day. Grant authority by local experience and technical authority.

Oh, and one more thing, keep up the great job! Even when we sometimes become despondent, we know tomorrow is another day and we'd rather see the world a little better place. Thanks.
wifiwi

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General