Post by Caradellino
Please take the time and read the newsletter, it will explain the really unusual imconvinieces you are experiencing currently. Believe me, this app is as good, as the idea sounds. Yes, sometimes it needs some patience, but its still the fastest updating nav-system and the community based traffic info beats everything else I know.
It's just the current growth rate, that's hard to handle.

Also check the topic “points update“ on the status page, it may offer a clue to your missing drives.

You could also take your area as an area manager

But a word of advice from personal experience: map editing can be adictive, but won't damage your health ;)
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Greets...and keep on wazing
Caradellino, CM for:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Common ... /Mysig.png
AT-Wiki | Team Austria | Wie Waze Routen kalkuliert
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Post by Caradellino
jwkilgore wrote:I don't believe there is any specific level of editing experience necessary
Your observations are correct, currently they are granting areas without any limitations or questions. For we are in the process of cleaning up the freeways in Austria to get the Toll-Road-Feature activated, i currently need a lot of area (about 15 permalinks a day). You can request new areas also by mail (areamanagers@waze.com), just make sure you include your (account)name and email and the required set of permalinks - in my experience it seems to be easier for them to process with the single mail for i get quicker responce than by using multiple forms.

But be aware, that in countries/states with self-management of AM by the local community the procedure might be different and requests to areamanagers might be futile. We don't havi it yet, therefore I have no experience in this.
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Greets...and keep on wazing
Caradellino, CM for:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Common ... /Mysig.png
AT-Wiki | Team Austria | Wie Waze Routen kalkuliert
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Post by CBenson
scruffy151 wrote:I am afraid you will have to learn to let it go, the two will never match exactly. The server side takes the actual numbers and generates a point total. That is sent out to the client which estimates points for new activities and adds them to the total.
I agree with your conclusion, but not your logic. The problem isn't client activity. The problem is that the dashboard and the scoreboard don't match.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Regardless, has anyone received this bonus recently?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CrackedLCD
I don't know if this has been touched on in this thread yet or not (I was directed to page 8 and read onwards from there) but I think there's two different issues at play here.

One is the backlog, which affects everyone equally as far as I can tell.

The other is more insidious in that it only seems to be affecting random users like myself, and I think it's a bug in the back end or related to minor network issues on the client side.

See, like everyone else here, I wasn't getting new areas opened up. I waited and waited for a week or two and nothing happened. The URs I left showed up for other editors, the roads I munched cookies on showed clear on other clients eventually and I got all my points/miles/cookies within a day or three. But I never got those areas opened for editing.

In all these cases, there's been two constants for me: the app closing during navigation for some reason and poor network connectivity.

My phone is old and loaded to the hilt so I can't always minimize Waze and open another app (even something tiny like Notepad) without Waze exiting but leaving that stupid icon in the notification bar. I think when it unloads itself it forgets the entire drive from that point backwards.

Second is Waze is unusually sensitive to network issues. I get the red Waze icon and "searching for network" even when the network signal is strong. It's not looking at strength but access to data, which for us CDMA users who deal with 1x/RTT patches in the hinterlands is a deal killer. It takes so long to switch from 3G to 1x that the app thinks there's no data at all. It really needs to double or triple its timeout. I experience this same issue with the Gasbuddy app and Foursquare but not some other more patient programs like web browsing and Simple Checkin. The difference with Waze is that those other apps allow the user to hit 'reload' over and over until data comes alive, while Waze institutes an unnecessary and frustrating mandatory timeout of about a minute, at which point the data usually returns but Waze won't let me use it.

The app should be recording my path even without network access but apparently it doesn't. One dropout and the whole thing's lost. This makes, at least for me, accessing some very rural but very messed up roads impossible in the editor because I can not now or ever get 3G or reliable 1X in those areas!

I've become an area manager for some of those hard to reach places, but that's not really the perfect solution. I'd much rather the client be more robust and forgiving of slow data connections, and retain all drives until the client is shut off. I think that would solve all the non-backlog-related issues here.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
As a last resort did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the app on your phone?

Seems like since I did that, it's been logging my drives within a day or two. You will start over as a baby wazer until everything syncs, so don't freak out if you do give it a try.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
DarkTranquility wrote:Hi,

is it possible that Waze has problems handling long drives?

At 4th, Nov I drove from Bochum to Stuttgart (Germany). The Waze crashed after 176km. This drive is shown. After the crash I restarted Waze immediately. The drive from this point to Stuttgart is missing.

At 02nd, Nov I drove from Stuttgart to Bochum. Near Frankfurt I pressed the homebutton. Waze disappeared to the status bar which is normal. I checked an email and after that I restored Waze from the status bar. Normaly waze shows immediately the map an the current position. But at this time Waze stated completely new (No error shown). If I take a look at my drives, the drive from this restart is shown but the drive TILL the restart is missing. So on about 200 km are missing.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.3.4).

Is this normal or a bug?

Regards,
DarkTranquility
I've experienced those exact same issues and I have the same phone as you (with Android 2.3.5).

It bothers me that Waze seems to be unloading from memory when we do other things with the phone. I would leave it in the background for the entirety of trips if I thought it wouldn't crash or quit on its own. Sometimes it comes back to the map after doing something else, but often it starts over like new and loses everything prior.

To me it's a huge mistake to depend so heavily on the network to keep the client and server synced. Maybe in Israel or Europe, coverage is so good that one never encounters dropouts and GPRS or 1x/RTT connections, but in the US this is still incredibly common outside major cities. That plus crashes and the programming quitting when multitasking means that the majority of drives are probably not being recorded for most users!
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
It's at a bit of a nail-biting point for me. I'm right on the cusp of half a million points, and I should have passed it yesterday, but with the points lagging behind I dunno if I made it or not. :shock:
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cswadner
Drove from Sacramento to San Francisco on 11/2 and 11/3. The drives show up in my profile but yet I cannot edit around those drives? Same thing happening in the south area of Sacramento. Took a drive out Grant Line Rd last week, drive appears, points have calculated (i think), yet I cannot edit that portion of the drive.

Thoughts?
cswadner
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Status page is now working again and they do have a status posted stating that there is a delay in posting recent drives and points are also delayed due to this issue.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint