Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by invented
jeff412 wrote:I drive a lot and not just a daily communte. Many times I am in unfamiliar areas. I have a Garmin GPS that has speed limit information on it. I use this information all the time. Speed limit info is one of my requirements when picking out a GPS. I don't need it for routing or traffic. I need it to prevent me from getting a speeding ticket. Once all of the routing issues are fixed with Waze, I want Speed Limit data. I will gladly help enter the information.

Jeff
Good news: the routing issues will never be fixed.
invented
Send a message

Post by invented
gkpdx wrote:So a little beep reminding me that the speed limit has changed is most welcome.
Are you volunteering to make all the timely speed limit parameter changes to all segments across the world? Else, how would this database stay up-to-date? We already have whole towns that are still crap basemap road data, let alone lacking speed limit data.
invented
Send a message

Post by jeff412
I agree. However, I don't need notification that I am going over the posted limit, but notification of a speed limit change would be great. Just "ding" when the posted limit changes. That way if I missed a speed limit sign I am notified.

Jeff
jeff412
Send a message

Post by jeff412
I drive a lot and not just a daily communte. Many times I am in unfamiliar areas. I have a Garmin GPS that has speed limit information on it. I use this information all the time. Speed limit info is one of my requirements when picking out a GPS. I don't need it for routing or traffic. I need it to prevent me from getting a speeding ticket. Once all of the routing issues are fixed with Waze, I want Speed Limit data. I will gladly help enter the information.

Jeff
jeff412
Send a message

Post by jeff412
If you lived where I do, or if you have traveled like I have perhaps you would have a different perspective on the world around you. Not everyone lives in a big city with "1000's" of vehicles around. I live in a small rural community where a traffic jam is defined by two cars stopped in the road talking to each other. Speed limit signs are easily covered by overgrowth. Get your heads out of your ____'s and realize that your perspective on the world around you isn't the only one.

Jeff
jeff412
Send a message

Post by kshoufer
I would love to have speed limits posted in the map. Some way of warning that I am going over the speed limit would be valuable too.
kshoufer
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
bgodette wrote:BFE is even easier; it's as fast as the harvester will go. The same rules apply, don't drive like an idiot and Deputy Strate won't be picking you that day.
Just guessing here, but are we drumming up support for Waze or trying to push users over to [add you fave GPS name (that might or might not support speed limit data) here] ?

I sure as hell think this is not working ... :roll:
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by mssusa
xteejx wrote:+1 it needs too much work to implement, and time that could be better spent giving a more useful base service!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
OK. Wouldn't it then be better to give this as an explanation instead of "you don't need to know the official speed limit"?

For me it could be useful in countries I'm not familiar with. But it is not really important. What is important for me is that Waze displays traffic code properly. When I move at 20km/h on a freeway /highway segment I call that traffic. When it takes me 10 minutes and 4 or 5 red/green switches to clear an intersection I call that traffic. I don't care if this is the normal pace during this time of the day in that particular segment. Anything less than the speed limit is traffic in my book.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by mssusa
harling wrote:
mssusa wrote:
xteejx wrote:+1 it needs too much work to implement, and time that could be better spent giving a more useful base service!
OK. Wouldn't it then be better to give this as an explanation instead of "you don't need to know the official speed limit"?
Nobody is saying "you don't need to know the speed limit":
  • 1) Waze doesn't need to know the speed limit in order to function; and
    2) Anyone who does want to know the speed limit, can look through the windshield for posted signs
I guess you either did not complete reading my post or I didn't explain myself well

mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by mssusa
Yes. Speed limit data for the driver is not as important for me as perfect traffic detection and I believe waze needs the speed limit to perfect its automated traffic detection.

What is annoying for me is that Waze does not always show me the traffic on the map /route eventhough it knows about it (this is evident in the fact that ETA is almost accurate to the minute). Average speed is not as important to me as the current speed compared to what the highway /primary street is designed for.

mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message