Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

At-grade connectors

Post by HandofMadness
I've seen in thread after thread that at-grade connectors should only be used when they cause routing issues, however the wiki lists system generated errors as a reason to use them:
in the new editor, if resolving map problems of the type 'The roads are too far apart from each other and most likely a road is missing in between'. This problem would be located at an intersection and the GPS tracks show that the turning lane is far enough from the intersection. in some cases the intersection can be reworked to resolve this problem.
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/At-Grade_Connectors

I propose we strike this from the wiki. These system generated errors are so common where any pair of larger non-split roads meet, that the map would soon be covered with at-grade connectors if every editor followed the wiki guideline.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:6884845

Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
mapcat wrote:When deciding whether or not to add a connector, isn't the determining factor a physical barrier of some sort (island) between the turn lane and the intersection?
That's one of the criteria in the Wiki to add the connector.

I'm specifically talking about the quoted line above, which states that system generated messages, by themselves, are a valid reason to add a an at-grade connector.

See http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/At-Grade_Connectors for a full list of reason TO add an at-grade connector.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
For more clarity, here is how the Wiki is today:
There are only a few situations in which connectors are called for in an intersection:

when the turn lane physically separates from the main road well in advance of the intersection;
when the turn lane is far enough from the point of intersection on the map (due to the size of the intersection or the angle at which the roads meet) that the driver might overshoot while waiting for a delayed "turn" audible, or that the Waze client might become confused and disrupt navigation
when the area is "busy" enough that the driver may not get any advance warning that a turn is coming up--in which case a connector lets you notify the driver a little earlier
As an Area Manager, when you get a user complaint that the audible was too late, or that the map should have shown a connector
in the new editor, if resolving map problems of the type 'The roads are too far apart from each other and most likely a road is missing in between'. This problem would be located at an intersection and the GPS tracks show that the turning lane is far enough from the intersection. in some cases the intersection can be reworked to resolve this problem.
Emphasis added by me.

My proposal is to strike the bold part above, so the page would then read:
There are only a few situations in which connectors are called for in an intersection:

when the turn lane physically separates from the main road well in advance of the intersection;
when the turn lane is far enough from the point of intersection on the map (due to the size of the intersection or the angle at which the roads meet) that the driver might overshoot while waiting for a delayed "turn" audible, or that the Waze client might become confused and disrupt navigation
when the area is "busy" enough that the driver may not get any advance warning that a turn is coming up--in which case a connector lets you notify the driver a little earlier
As an Area Manager, when you get a user complaint that the audible was too late, or that the map should have shown a connector
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
I made the change. I can always add it back if someone makes a good argument for cluttering the map with them. And if I do add it back, I'll fix the capitalization to boot.

Next question: Should we add a specific line about how to deal with the system generated messages?
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Who has the ear of the devs?
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
They've cranked up the sensitivity on these again and we're seeing a lot of them.

I agree that this should be worded differently in the wiki. This invites a lot of IGN type editing from people who don't know better.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Maybe we should complain to the devs that it's too sensitive again and they need to adjust it. Then we won't have to put anything about the message because in most places, it won't happen.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
The Champs...I'll put the word out.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by mapcat
When deciding whether or not to add a connector, isn't the determining factor a physical barrier of some sort (island) between the turn lane and the intersection?
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
Sounds like a good change Shawn. If there are no objections, run with it.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1