Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Group relating to motorcycle interest

Post by MotorcycleClub
Not able to directly reach anyone in administration, I need to reach someone to discuss expansion and application of WAZE for motorcycle travel interest. I just established a group called Motorcycle Thunder (associated with MotorcycleThunder.com for feed support). Anyone interested in refining this usage, please reply.
MotorcycleClub

POSTER_ID:11225734

Send a message

Post by cherianchris
iainhouse wrote:I'm an ex-biker myself. The arrival of children 10 years go forced me onto 4 wheels but, before that, I was a despatch rider in London (when satnav didn't exist and mobile phones were literally bricks) and a member of a European bike club making a dozen trips to the continent every year. The last bike I had was retired after having been clocked twice (over 200,000 miles). So I think I can understand some of the problems bikers would have with Waze - and vice versa!

Unless you ride a bike simply because you like it and are content to sit in traffic with the cars, the movement patterns of bikes is very different from cars. In the majority of cases, slow and standstill traffic simply doesn't exist for bikes. When the cars slow down, you just start passing them. When they're stopped that gets even easier - as long as nobody decides to make a u-turn in front of you (that was my first broken leg :( ).

This is a problem for Waze, because bikes "pollute" the speed data. Traffic is at a standstill but Waze is getting reports that it's moving. The other way round it's a problem for the bike user - Waze is reporting traffic that doesn't really exist for a bike user and routing that user accordingly.

Another problem for Waze (in the UK at least) is that motorbikes are allowed to use bus lanes - and a few of these routes may not be in Waze because they're not allowed for cars.

I think the only way around this is to have the client offer more than one "operating mode". If you run it in "motorbike" mode, it would not use the bike speed to update general traffic info and would ignore that info for routing the bike.

If a feature like that existed, it could also be extended to bicyclists - with an additional feature of ignoring invalid routing - as cyclists can do many things that motorists can't (even if they bloody well shouldn't!). Even a "pedestrian" mode might be worth considering.

Having said that, whether or not anything like this might ever happen is another question. Waze is primarily aimed at commuting cars and dealing with traffic by intelligent routing. I don't know if Waze (the company) would find any of this important enough to the core business model to be worth implementing. If I was still on 2 wheels (Oh, happy days!), I'd certainly be asking for it!
+1. I'm still a biker though. iainhouse just gave me a glance into the future. :(
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by cherianchris
Now that is good news. :smile:

Waze on a plane? The pilot will probably refuse to take off here in India. :lol:

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by didlight
Excavation inside!

i think we can easly add motorcycle mode with red flashing background and a big alert... Please, add it!!!
didlight
Send a message

Post by iainhouse
I'm an ex-biker myself. The arrival of children 10 years go forced me onto 4 wheels but, before that, I was a despatch rider in London (when satnav didn't exist and mobile phones were literally bricks) and a member of a European bike club making a dozen trips to the continent every year. The last bike I had was retired after having been clocked twice (over 200,000 miles). So I think I can understand some of the problems bikers would have with Waze - and vice versa!

Unless you ride a bike simply because you like it and are content to sit in traffic with the cars, the movement patterns of bikes is very different from cars. In the majority of cases, slow and standstill traffic simply doesn't exist for bikes. When the cars slow down, you just start passing them. When they're stopped that gets even easier - as long as nobody decides to make a u-turn in front of you (that was my first broken leg :( ).

This is a problem for Waze, because bikes "pollute" the speed data. Traffic is at a standstill but Waze is getting reports that it's moving. The other way round it's a problem for the bike user - Waze is reporting traffic that doesn't really exist for a bike user and routing that user accordingly.

Another problem for Waze (in the UK at least) is that motorbikes are allowed to use bus lanes - and a few of these routes may not be in Waze because they're not allowed for cars.

I think the only way around this is to have the client offer more than one "operating mode". If you run it in "motorbike" mode, it would not use the bike speed to update general traffic info and would ignore that info for routing the bike.

If a feature like that existed, it could also be extended to bicyclists - with an additional feature of ignoring invalid routing - as cyclists can do many things that motorists can't (even if they bloody well shouldn't!). Even a "pedestrian" mode might be worth considering.

Having said that, whether or not anything like this might ever happen is another question. Waze is primarily aimed at commuting cars and dealing with traffic by intelligent routing. I don't know if Waze (the company) would find any of this important enough to the core business model to be worth implementing. If I was still on 2 wheels (Oh, happy days!), I'd certainly be asking for it!
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by iainhouse
cherianchris wrote:. . . just gave me a glance into the future. :(
No need for that sad face! Waze are currently soliciting input for other transport modes, so the future could include support for two wheels (motorised or not), no wheels, 18 wheels etc.

But you still shouldn't Waze on a plane :evil:
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by razor2k
MotorcycleClub wrote:Anyone interested in refining this usage, please reply.
Not sure what you mean by refining this usage...

This app works whether you're in a car, truck, on a motorcycle or anything else that moves down the road. As long as you have a way to mount your phone so that you can use (see) it while traveling,it works! (or so it should) :roll:

If you're alluding to an app specifically for motorcycle use, I'm not sure you'll find a resolution here.

Maybe someone else with more experience in the biking world will respond with more helpful info.
razor2k
Send a message
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual