How to fix these problems?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: How to fix these problems?

Postby harling » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:59 pm

CBenson wrote:If that is left turn signal is red for much longer than the red for going straight through, then it seems conceivable that on average its faster to go straight and make the U where there is no left turn signal.

An intersection near my house tends to get a backlog of cars in the morning. Sometimes it is faster to go a block around it--three times the distance, encompassing a parking lot and a very narrow side road--than wait in line to go through a simple stop sign. If the left-turn light is short enough for left-turning traffic to back up at your intersection, going straight through and then doubling back and turning right might very well be faster at certain times of day.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby iainhouse » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:57 am

It's confusing, I know, but Waze doesn't learn your routes - as in which way you go. It learns your from-to combinations.

If you use it every day for your commute to work, it will soon learn that when you start navigating from home you are normally going to work and suggest that destination. Similarly when you leave work, it will automatically offer to route you home. Which combination of roads it then chooses to route you on isn't "learnt" - except to the extent that your travel on each segment improves the data it has to work from.

It's possible that it can learn more than 2 common journeys - say home->work, work->bar, bar-> home. I don't know - I turned the feature off after it learnt work->home because about 1 time in 3 I go to see my kids straight from work so it wasn't very helpful.
UK Country Administrator • AM: London (DELETED), S Wales
Waze 3.7.2 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/XP
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
My name is Iain and I'm a Wazaholic. I last edited 1 hour ago.
iainhouse

How to fix these problems?

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:44 pm

IME, to get Waze to learn a route that you think is better, you have to drive the suggested route a few times and then drive your route a few times. If Waze still routes the original way, then the route you think is faster is not actually faster.

By driving each route, you either verify or correct the timing on that route. Then Waze will still make the choice on the route that is mathematically faster.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Mike-1323 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:36 pm

jasonh300 wrote:IME, to get Waze to learn a route that you think is better, you have to drive the suggested route a few times and then drive your route a few times. If Waze still routes the original way, then the route you think is faster is not actually faster.

By driving each route, you either verify or correct the timing on that route. Then Waze will still make the choice on the route that is mathematically faster.

This!

You have to drive the suggested route to give Waze the actual speed data for that time of day and traffic conditions. Waze may be using the default speeds for segments of the navigation route that are higher than the actual speeds for those segments. Without real user data Waze will continue to route what it believe (based on incorrect assumptions) to be the faster route.

That said, if you do drive the suggested slower route a few times (and it is actually slower) and Waze continues to choose it as the preferred fastest route there may be a map error in your desired route that causes Waze to discard it.

Image Image
AM - Northern Virginia - Fairfax/Ft. Belvoir
CM - USA
Android 2.2.1, LG Optimus V
Mike-1323
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby shawndoc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Are these types of turns faster? Sure.
Should Waze be routing them? I don't think so. The sheer number of UR's based on these I feel is reason enough.
California, USA - OC/LA/SB/Riverside L5 Country Editor
shawndoc
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby txemt » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:59 am

Did you pull back each intersection to see if there's an extra road segment stuck somewhere it's not supposed to be?
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly
AM-S Florida & Texas
US CM
RC-US Territories
"Don't Mess With TxEmt"
Read, Read & Read
txemt
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby zulater » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:02 am

I guess there's a wording problem as I have this issue.
Waze says it learns your 'prefferred' route. It definitely isn't doing this for me. I realize the other route it suggests could be faster but it has more traffic and is a longer distance with some slow parts and some fast parts. It uses more fuel and is more stressful (more idiots). But waze keeps suggesting it. Though it says the route I take is faster in the morning.
zulater

Postby zulater » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:09 am

Yeah, I had hoped that waze would be a nice route determination. As in it would learn my preferred route then if there was an accident or a huge delay on the preferred route it would let me know and suggest the alternate at that time. This isn't the case and as such it's easier for me to just check google maps before I leave and see if there is a wreck or a traffic jam. I still turn on waze and report issues but it's just not as helpful as it really could (or in my mind should) be.
If it could hook into google's traffic stream that would be perfect and I would even pay for that.
zulater

Previous

Return to Waze Map Editor