Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by CrackedLCD
WeeeZer14 wrote:I'm glad to see that the UK is labeling junctions. I've been doing that for my AM area and I've gotten comments from other local Wazers that they like the result on the map. It is of course basically the last thing I do after getting geometry, naming, turns, road type, etc etc taken care of.

I, though, have NOT been snapping the landmark to the roads but have been making the landmark slightly larger than the actual interchange.

Simple example

Complex example

Dual exits (could also do via one landmark with a name such as "I-40 Exit 368 / I-75 Exit 84")

I just always found roads and landmarks snapped to each other to be annoying for some reason.
I like the way that looks but was specifically told not to landmark junctions by another higher-tiered user.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
AndyPoms wrote:I Created a wiki page with the list of Landmark Types (US) & point users to this discussion so people can weigh-in on which ones they think should be included... In the code tag below is the list of types so you can copy & paste it so you don't have to retype it... I will post my comments in a separate post below...
Well, that was weird. The forum ate my last post.

I'm not so concerned with the list of landmarks as they currently exist as I am simple things like, do parking lots only include parking lots, or the entire shopping centre? It's a mix of both right now in my area. And do shopping center/mall landmarks only trace the buildings, or the entire property? That's a mix of both here, too. And if someone draws a parking lot landmark, is it now pointless to create parking lot-designated streets under it, and vice-versa?
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
AndyPoms wrote:What are your thoughts on which parking lots to map & how to map them? We need to have a discussion to figure this stuff out...
I'm still sorta new, so I don't know a whole lot about what affects what just yet, like whether drawing parking lot roads will suppress traffic information as well as a drawn parking lot landmark. So I can't really comment on which is more appropriate. But I'm only for drawing/mapping large shopping mall parking lots, or commuter lots, or parking garages. I've tried to use the parking lot landmark feature to suppress traffic reports and errors in smaller lots and it won't stick if it's not above a certain minimum size. I really don't know the solution other than to draw parking lot roads on tiny but otherwise high traffic off the road areas.

Personally I would like to see the parking lots mapped only over parking areas, and a separate landmark could be drawn for shopping malls or other nearby large buildings. I'm not sure how it'd look on the map, though. I think I'm going to do a test case at a small shopping strip near here and see how it looks once the map updates.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
jasonh300 wrote:
CrackedLCD wrote:Personally I would like to see the parking lots mapped only over parking areas, and a separate landmark could be drawn for shopping malls or other nearby large buildings. I'm not sure how it'd look on the map, though.
Check out Edgewater Mall in Biloxi, MS. I drew in the mall separately from the parking lot. Waste of time. There's no obvious difference on the client.

I could've just drawn one large landmark around the perimeter, set it as Parking Lot, and named it Edgewater Mall and it would have have the same effect.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT
:| Aw, that's disappointing. I was hoping it would be contrasted or a different colour or brightness having two landmarks atop one another.

In that case, why should we even label malls and other big landmarks anything other than parking lot, if they all look the same?
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
jasonh300 wrote:9. Gas stations suppress traffic. That's never been in question.
Do you name gas station landmarks? I've been naming the ones that were put in to suppress traffic, but I think after a certain number of them are drawn it starts to clutter the map too much.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
jasonh300 wrote:Yes, I name them. In most cases, that means one word...Shell, Exxon, Chevron, etc. Are there really that many gas stations in one area that they would cause clutter?
It could get that way if every station is landmarked and named. Right now I'm only doing some of the larger stations/truck stops and ones that throw system errors. But I can see the potential for it to get messy, especially if other nearby shopping centres and other landmarks are extensively labelled.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
I wasn't aware that Shell was doing this. None of my local Shell stations appear on the map in any form, except for the ones I put there.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
I'd be all for making PL roads display like dirt roads in the client, a thin single pixel line. And they need to make dirt roads more visible so those of us in rural areas can still see them on the map. As they are now, they are thin and don't display the street name or cookies on the client. :(
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
jasonh300 wrote:I've asked the developers to make the Parking Lot Roads less visible both in the client and in the editor. My suggestion was to make them look similar to the way Pedestrian Boardwalks look in the client.

Aren't road widths controlled by the schema files on the device itself? Seems like I edited one of the themes to make dirt roads appear brown and the same width as paved roads. I'll have to investigate narrowing parking lot roads and see how it looks!

Edit: I looked, I don't see anything that differentiates private and parking lot roads from anything else. Bummer.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
I'm almost positive there's a setting that can be altered in the preferences file to change how landmarks are shown. But I would support a menu option to turn them all on or off.

We're not supposed to landmark businesses in the US, yet now gas stations show up because they're part of the landmark layer now. That's one thing I wish could be hidden. Judicious use of the landmark feature is sort of ruined by having so many gas station landmarks at busy intersections.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message