Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

How Was Waze Able to Give Directions With Mobile Data OFF?

Post by The_Crusader
This morning I started up the app and selected my route while still in the garage so I know the route info was downloaded via WiFi to my phone. By default, I always have Mobile Data turned OFF so I don't go over my allocation. I forgot to turn it on this morning before leaving for the store.

Even with Mobile Data turned OFF, Waze announced what streets to make a left or right on and announced when I had arrived at the grocery store.

I can understand the technology of my route being downloaded to the phone via the WiFi connection before pulling out of the garage, but how on earth does an app like Waze know when I am close to the street to turn on or when I have reached my destination if Mobile Data is OFF?

Before making my return trip home from the store, when opening the app, I saw the "red letter" announcement about how Mobile Data is OFF and I might not get accurate directions. I turned Mobile Data back ON to see what would be different on my way home, and really didn't much notice much difference except for beep alerts prior to the app announcing various things to me.

If this app can work adequately without turning on Mobile Data, that can save people data charges each month, but I'm just don't understand the technical aspects of the app and phone knowing where I am with Data OFF.

Best app out there, by the way, for maps and directions; I recommend it to everyone. Thanks for info on this topic so I can be educated further.
The_Crusader

POSTER_ID:11281993

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sejtam wrote:Could you explain why one would liar speed data w/o data? Speed is calculated from the GPS.

I think you mean traffic data, including speeds reported by other waze users
You are correct about traffic data. One thing scruffy151 is referring to is that you don't get the current traffic (speed) data for your route and you may get routed into very bad traffic. Also, the data from your drive, such as the speed you are going on streets and the time of day, which Waze normally collects while driving with a data connection, is not able to be uploaded to Waze to add to their data about the streets you drove on.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by iainhouse
You're right about the tiles covering you route being cached. I saw a similar instance on Friday when my phone service provider was down for my drive home.

As far as knowing where you are, it uses GPS, not your data connection.

What Waze can't do is what it's best at - traffic. It won't know about the real-time traffic conditions and be able to estimate an ETA, re-route you or show & report alerts. If you divert off the given route, it may also run out of map

I believe the actual data usage during a drive is relatively small. You can see what's been used in a session by looking in Settings, Advanced, Data Usage.
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by Scruffy151
You also loose all speed data without a data connection. This will get you some bad routes from time to time.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:You are correct about traffic data. One thing scruffy151 is referring to is that you don't get the current traffic (speed) data for your route and you may get routed into very bad traffic. Also, the data from your drive, such as the speed you are going on streets and the time of day, which Waze normally collects while driving with a data connection, is not able to be uploaded to Waze to add to their data about the streets you drove on.
I was actually meaning the lack of historical data; all roads revert to the default speed for that road type when there is no data connection. Of course everything Alan said is a consideration as well.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by sejtam
Could you explain why one would liar speed data w/o data? Speed is calculated from the GPS.

I think you mean traffic data, including speeds reported by other waze users

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
sejtam
Send a message

Post by The_Crusader
Thanks; very helpful information! I wasn't sure if GPS was separate from mobile data. Now I know. I usually only go short distances; just testing out the app so I know what to do in case I have to go somewhere I don't know how to get there.

It works very well and despite complaints on line somewhere, I can run music (at least from my iPhone device storage) at the same time. Not sure how the Waze app fairs with streaming Spotify though (haven't tried that yet).

Good to know if I forget to turn on Mobile Data for short trips, I will get there just fine.
The_Crusader
Send a message