Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

More winning for Waze

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
New roundabout and jughandle-style layout completed months ago. Waze was first with this. But now Gmaps has it. But there's still a problem:

Google Route
Waze Route (there is the possibility of a 2nd route which goes past the exit and does a "u-turn" at the next exit; depending on traffic, that is a valid route, too)

The left-turn at the end of the freeway off-ramp doesn't exist any more as you are required to use the jughandle. Waze's route is more complex, but it is legal. Waze wins again.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:New roundabout and jughandle-style layout completed months ago. Waze was first with this. But now Gmaps has it. But there's still a problem:

Google Route
Waze Route (there is the possibility of a 2nd route which goes past the exit and does a "u-turn" at the next exit; depending on traffic, that is a valid route, too)

The left-turn at the end of the freeway off-ramp doesn't exist any more as you are required to use the jughandle. Waze's route is more complex, but it is legal. Waze wins again.
Bet if you went into Google Mapmaker you'd see an edit war going on between locals trying to correct the map, and reviewers half way around the world that insist the aerials and streetview are reality.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
douglasr007 wrote:
bgodette wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:New roundabout and jughandle-style layout completed months ago. Waze was first with this. But now Gmaps has it. But there's still a problem:

Google Route

Bet if you went into Google Mapmaker you'd see an edit war going on between locals trying to correct the map, and reviewers half way around the world that insist the aerials and streetview are reality.
Pretty much.

Google has to be strict with edits just because it's the Maps API. For newly built intersections, you can't reference county GIS maps since it probably won't be added for a while. Google would rather play it safe and be certain that the changes made are legit.
You can most certainly reference city/county/state data, at least in the US. Project plans and as constructed are both available by law. It may not always be trivially available online however. While the construction is active those plans are available to the public on site as well.

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
5:15pm Friday night. O Rly?
share-drive.jpg
(40 KiB) Downloaded 1313 times
Ya Rly
whole-route.jpg
(190.3 KiB) Downloaded 1317 times
Arrived 2 minutes ahead of schedule at 6:01pm, saving about 15 minutes by not taking I-70 E directly across.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by crimsonwingz
The more they change to these weird turn right to turn left areas, the more confusing its going to get to be accurate with the GPS. At least Waze is MUCH more real time. The only confusion that comes for me is when Waze routes me 4 miles around the block to get home :) I have to learn how to edit the roads so I can fix that route :)
crimsonwingz
Send a message

Post by Grid64
bgodette wrote:

Google Route

Pretty much.

Google has to be strict with edits just because it's the Maps API. For newly built intersections, you can't reference county GIS maps since it probably won't be added for a while. Google would rather play it safe and be certain that the changes made are legit.
Grid64
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by Grid64
bgodette wrote:
douglasr007 wrote:
bgodette wrote:Bet if you went into Google Mapmaker you'd see an edit war going on between locals trying to correct the map, and reviewers half way around the world that insist the aerials and streetview are reality.
Pretty much.

You can most certainly reference city/county/state data, at least in the US. Project plans and as constructed are both available by law. It may not always be trivially available online however. While the construction is active those plans are available to the public on site as well.

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.
I mean you might see "(Planned)" on the newly constructed roads but I think Google makes the road invisible kind of like when we set roads as railroads in the map editor so they don't show up in the app. Confirming the construction is done might take a few news articles. It's just that I know Google's Map Maker is very conservative with edits. They always want sources.
Grid64
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message