The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Identifying Rest Areas/Information Centers Along Route

Post by asleeplessknight
Besides using the editor to identify a parking area/ rest area/ information center, is there any consideration to enabling a feature that allows wazers to locate features along a route for nav purposes? I am often on the road and will seek out a parking/rest area to catch a few winks. Having waze find these as markers along my route would be helpful.
asleeplessknight

POSTER_ID:8206324

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Rest areas should be set as either street or ramp type for the ramps and parking lot roads for the interior major drive ways, similar to parking lots. No need to map all the detail necessarily.

I also mark them with landmark type Museum/Visitor Center/Monument because nothing else gets close. Although Tourist Site/Attraction could work. I requested Waze as Rest Stop to the Transit section as a new type several times up to 2 years ago with no response. They are an integral part of the US highway system and are important to travelers, so finding a rest stop on your route would be a great feature when Waze moves into the more general GPS nav market as they expand from their current commuter focus.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
txemt wrote:It's funny you say that......I passed by one of the rest areas that I've labeled with the parking lot road and ramps...IT'S CLOSED!?! Ugh.
Yea, they are doing a rolling update of most of the Service Plazas in CT... They aren't very forth coming about the schedule of closings/openings so I'm doing the best I can with the map...

I do think something better to mark them (or make the searchable) would be nice...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by ncc1701v
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I also mark them with landmark type Museum/Visitor Center/Monument because nothing else gets close. Although Tourist Site/Attraction could work. I requested Waze as Rest Stop to the Transit section as a new type several times up to 2 years ago with no response. They are an integral part of the US highway system and are important to travelers, so finding a rest stop on your route would be a great feature when Waze moves into the more general GPS nav market as they expand from their current commuter focus.
Really. And for long distance travelers the difference between "service area" (with gas, shops), "rest area" (with toilets), and "parking area" (with not much) is significant.
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by txemt
In Texas (at least around the San Antonio area), rest areas are labeled just by road type. I don't know if there is a landmark setting for it, but they're at least labeled with an on ramp, off ramp, and a section of parking lot road labeled "rest area." I THINK the exits are also marked as "Exit 590: Rest Area." I'll have to double check that when the editor comes back up, though.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
It's funny you say that......I passed by one of the rest areas that I've labeled with the parking lot road and ramps...IT'S CLOSED!?! Ugh.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.