Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Den_in_USA
BlazeTool wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:I've been asking the developers to make the parking lot roads much less visible in the client, so that they won't clutter up the map as much. I've also asked them to make them gray in the editor so they'll be visibly different from streets and not clutter the editor screen.
Here's hoping they do it. Personally, I'd like to see PL roads not display at all in the client and be their own layer in the editor that can be turned off. Visual clutter goes away, problem reports for parking lots can go away. Only drawbacks would be it's still data to be transferred to the client and the extra nodes could effect routing times. Not sure if there are ways to avoid that.
I agree with everything you say. Either display parking lot roads as a ligher color, narrower line or at least allow the driver to "hide" those roads if he wants to.
Den_in_USA
Send a message
Software Test Designer, CareFusion
T-Mobile| Dell Streak 5| Android 2.2.2

Post by Den_in_USA
Would it be a problem if I created a parking lot road and called it a dirt road so that it appears different on the map?
Den_in_USA
Send a message

Post by Den_in_USA
AndyPoms wrote:
Den_in_USA wrote:Would it be a problem if I created a parking lot road and called it a dirt road so that it appears different on the map?
Yes it would. Parking Lot Roads have special properties.
1) The suppress automatic traffic jam reports
2) They carry a heavy routing penalty to prevent routing through a parking lot (into or out of is fine)
3) They help suppress automatically generated map problems (missing road)
Thanks, I will not do that. Any word about wether the future parking lot roads will be displayed differently on the map? They should at least be narrower.
Den_in_USA
Send a message

Post by Den_in_USA
I noticed that on the map for my area there are upper case characters such as "R" and "S" showing up on the map. It seems that the map is attempting to display town names but the rest of the characters get cut off. Would this have anything to do with the Android client or is it a map issue?
Den_in_USA
Send a message

Post by Den_in_USA
bigbear3764 wrote:Editor issue. Somewhere there is a road or landmark with an improper city name. If you have the highlight script, it makes it easy to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is an "S" displayed by itself next to a street named "S Chaparrel Ct". I cannot edit that area because it is outside of my driving range. How do I report a map problem in this area? Or can I be upgraded to edit within 10 miles of where I drive?
Den_in_USA
Send a message

Post by DG567
pitzikun wrote:I'm personally going to delete road'ed parking lots that fit the jumbled mess criteria and replace with landmarks. Then on the main roadway, put very short road segments to denote where a parking lots entrance and exit is located.
That's ok for wazers driving TO the parking lot, but Waze will place you on the nearest road which may be outside the lot, so when you are LEAVING, your route may start from the wrong place if you are parked near the edge. You need to map parking lot roads around or through it to prevent this happening.
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DG567
I agree scruffy.
I'd say the ideal amount is the minimum needed to 'catch' your position and hold you inside the lot.
Remember also, that the roads do not need to be geographically accurate. One long road down the middle may be all that is required, even if the lanes do something different.
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DG567
jasonh300 wrote:I've been asking the developers to make the parking lot roads much less visible in the client...
That would be very good. Especially as some editors map every lane.

There was a suggestion made in 'thoughts and ideas' to allow free-roaming within a parking lot landmark - so that the landmark itself acts as a perimeter and you are not snapped to any road outside of it. Inside, your true position could be shown irrespective of any mapped lanes.
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DG567
I think there is very little need for landmarks. Waze is good at finding locations and the hideous name labels that can be seen floating on the horizon as one is driving around is, IMO, ugly, distracting, unprofessional and are not standardised.
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DG567
sketch wrote: There are plenty good uses for landmarks—generally for large and/or important things, like parks, schools, shopping malls, and government buildings; things people regularly use for navigation.
I disagree. Waze is a GPS guided system. It does not tell you to turn after a particular landmark.
I don't believe we'll ever reach a consensus on standardisation. The wiki clearly tells us not to landmark businesses, yet editors in the UK map virtually every large, out of town supermarket.....
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message