Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Request an option to "turn off" certain notifications.

Post by Elgirts
First off, great application.

I like the potential, and the interaction I can have with it. However, there are a couple of things that continue to annoy me. I'll list each one in it's own individual post in the future. However, the one that has me really annoyed right now is the fact that I will at times get pop-up notification of "traffic conditions, hazards, chats.. ect.". Though this is a great idea, some of them are just useless. (For example traffic reports in another county or state.) Others however, I find vitally important. For example reports of police traps, or traffic cameras. (Provided they are in my area, or planned route.)

What I am requesting, is in two parts.

First, I would like to see the ability to turn off and on specific on pop-up notifications. (Yes, I know I can turn off the graphical displays on the maps individually in settings, but I like those. I just want the same kind of choices for the pop-up notifications.)

Second, I would like to be able to choose the distance from me that those selected items pop-up.

Thanks for listening. I'll post more wishes as I come across them. I am all about making this app develop to it's potential.
Elgirts

POSTER_ID:68126

Send a message
Green - 2012 Hyundai Accent / Former - Area Manager - Santa Clarita and Northern San Fernando valley, CA

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dbev79 wrote:I assume that all red lights in my area have cameras, and most do.
A "camera" is not a red light camera, which is what Waze alerts about. The vast majority of intersections, in the US at least, do not have red light cameras. Many traffic light controlled intersections do have video cameras for traffic control, but not for law enforcement. See the Cameras page for more details.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
BEJ08 wrote:Another possibility is to be able to limit the radius you'd like to be notified about (e.g., only notify me of events within 1 mile of my current location, 5 miles, 10 miles, etc.)
5 miles is the current lower limit, unfortunately. "On route" is supposed to be available some day.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by archiebark
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dbev79 wrote:I assume that all red lights in my area have cameras, and most do.
A "camera" is not a red light camera, which is what Waze alerts about. The vast majority of intersections, in the US at least, do not have red light cameras. Many traffic light controlled intersections do have video cameras for traffic control, but not for law enforcement. See the Cameras page for more details.
Whether or not there are cameras on intersections is not the issue. The issue is that we still do not have the ability to silence alerts for red light cameras. Like a previous poster, I obey all red lights and do not wish to have my audiobooks or podcasts interrupted. I would like to see an update to Waze that allows us to silence or completely remove these alerts.

There are some parts of the USA that have red light cameras every couple of miles. We don't need Waze nagging us constantly.
archiebark
Send a message

Post by archiebark
I just want to be able to turn it off. Believe me, I know where the enforcement cameras are in my own neighborhood.

Turning alert sounds all the way down seems to help make this less annoying. There's a small pop but at least Mrs. Robot stays out of my car.
archiebark
Send a message

Post by BEJ08
Another possibility is to be able to limit the radius you'd like to be notified about (e.g., only notify me of events within 1 mile of my current location, 5 miles, 10 miles, etc.)
BEJ08
Send a message

Post by Daknife
SuperHeats wrote:Well, I'm new to using this app and is nice to see some of my issues listed from other users 3 years ago have not been addressed. I'm in agreement with being able to choose a smaller radius for events that occur. I have had mine set to 5 miles and get all these pop-ups when I stop regarding events that are no where even close to me. As well as there needs to be more information listed in the event. All I see is, for example, major accident, Preston Rd., Dallas. Well, Preston Rd. runs for miles and the accident reported could be anywhere. In rush hour traffic, every time I stop, my phone blows up with notifications and change to fast to see the map. The closest cross street should be included on the report, like Preston Rd. @ Frankford Rd.

I also agree that the user should be allowed to turn off notifications for traffic cams. I drive the same way to work and back home every day. I know where the cameras are and don't need to see the pop ups every time I drive by them. They already show up on the map so what's the need?

Do the folks from Waze even read these posts? Just seems to me that people are posting and no one takes notice.
First Waze staff really don't spend a lot of time in here, a couple of them do spend some time, but not a lot, it seems they have a job to do or something. ;)

Second the pop-ups you get from far outside your set five mile are ones from a group or groups you are a member of. Not sure why those get an exception to the radius setting but they do and it can get annoying. But one way is to drop extra groups. I originally signed onto several groups, then I realized that the groups are actually worthless and have zero social aspect and trimmed it to all but one. That really cut down on the extra pop-ups.

The rest of your suggestions are all good ones. Maybe someday they'll be added.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Yes you obey all red lights, good for you. Do you stop as soon as the light turns yellow as well? The reason I ask is multiple cities have been caught shortening the duration of their yellow lights in order to maintain or increase the number of citations produced by the cameras. These shorter yellow lights mean more people are caught thinking they should have more time to clear the intersection, and why this information is still critical to you as a law abiding driver, shorter yellows mean breaks getting slammed on by people trying to also obey the lights as you do. This means more accidents. So I for one, even if I carefully stopped 10 meters behind the line as soon as I saw a yellow, would still appreciate knowing where these cameras are so I can be aware of other drivers who might also want to suddenly stop at the first hint of yellow.

It's more than just preventing you from getting a ticket, it also helps you avoid getting into an accident, by alerting you to be extra cautious at the next light. Or you can continue zoning out as you listen to your uninterrupted podcast, and hope you see the other driver in time to react.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by dbev79
I agree with this request. I assume that all red lights in my area have cameras, and most do. So I don't want or need notifications about that. Since my iphone is connected to my radio via bluetooth, these notifications are continually interrupting what I'm listening to.
Thanks. Love Waze!
dbev79
Send a message

Post by Falkinator
Please Please Please.. stop the insanity! I'm sick and tired of getting notified about the same red light traffic cameras everyday. Please implement a way to turn off the notification. I'll do anything.
Falkinator
Send a message