Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

What do the sounds mean?

Post by bulpup
Is there a listing of sounds and what they mean somewhere? I use Waze on my motorcycle and can't see what the screen says but I hear all kinds of noises through the headset.
bulpup

POSTER_ID:11367494

Send a message

Post by bulpup
What is the one that sounds like a cork being popped?
bulpup
Send a message

Post by bulpup
okay thanks. The first time I heard it I was driving past a place called Bottle King. I thought maybe there was a different kind of connection.
bulpup
Send a message

Post by cherianchris
CrackedLCD wrote:
xteejx wrote:How strange!
I expect the voice to be different but the actual sounds...
Don't blame you at all for not spotting that one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
*facepalm*

It is indeed a different bonus sound with the UK voice data. I switched back to US, and the loud ding came back. I'm going to do some copy & pasting and see if I can get the ding with the pleasant UK voices. :geek:
Did you manage to get the ding with the British voices, crackedLCD?

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by cherianchris
Done.. :-)

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by CrackedLCD
youncs wrote:then a ring-a-ling sound when you drive over it.
OK, here's a mystery for you experts. My ring-a-ling doesn't ring-a-ling any more. At some point in time, it changed from that to a "da da daah" horn flourish, like I'm the King of Waze or something.

At first I thought it was because I was the top user that week, but my friend got top user the next week and his didn't change. I've popped in and out of the top three since then and the sound is now constant.

I'd love to have my ding-a-ling back (wait, that sounds bad.) It was much easier to hear over road noise than the very quiet horn sample.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
xteejx wrote:Yeah I'm pretty sure the sweet sound changed. It was the high pitched ding bliiing echo sound but think it changed in 3.5. Can't actually remember what it is now even though I ran over 2 750s yesterday.
It's bugging me now.

My friend and I have the same software version (and same handset model/Android version) but still have different tones. So weird!
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Nope, we're both using the Play store release.

I feel like a silly goose now even bringing this up, but I think I figured out the difference. I downloaded the UK voice prompts, he has the stock United States voices. I'm going to change back to US prompts today and see if it changes the candy sound.

This came up when I was snooping in the sounds directory on my phone and noticed the bonus.bin file was a different size on the UK and Hebrew directories versus the one in the US directory.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
xteejx wrote:How strange!
I expect the voice to be different but the actual sounds...
Don't blame you at all for not spotting that one.

*facepalm*

It is indeed a different bonus sound with the UK voice data. I switched back to US, and the loud ding came back. I'm going to do some copy & pasting and see if I can get the ding with the pleasant UK voices. :geek:
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
cherianchris wrote: Did you manage to get the ding with the British voices, crackedLCD?

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
Yes! All that you need to do is copy the "bonus.bin" from the US version of the sound files over to the UK directory. The sound files are at sdcard0 > waze > sounds > eng (for USA English) and eng_uk (for British English).

I got a new phone the other day and just re-did this now.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message