Road Closed

Post by Your_AverageJoe
Is there any way to indicate a temporary road closure, such as one caused by an accident/road works?

I'm thinking of some way to advise people that a road is completely closed and for Waze to automatically divert them round it.
Your_AverageJoe

POSTER_ID:7309475

Send a message
If you're on Twitter, so am I. @BZ_George

Post by AndyPoms
youncs wrote:I have two road closure user requests in my editable area right now that I'm going to have to close out without being able to explain to the user why.
There are ways to deal with Long-Term closures - ones that last 24 hours a day for a several days (or more). It will become easier to deal with once we start getting map updates on a set schedule (we've been told it will probably be 2 or 3 times a week, but we'll know what day the map pushes to the client & when the edit cut off is.)

See How to handle road closures in the wiki.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
This is how we track things in Connecticut using the Wiki: https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Con ... nstruction

I always verify to the best of my ability that the road is actually closed long term - there are several official online resources available.

When things are first closed, you will get Automatic Map Problems generated using old drives flagging a possible missing road, then they will slow down/stop for a while. When the road reopens they start popping back up again & users may or may not submit a new UR (we've had good experience with this in CT).

As you can see on the page above CT is redoing all of the Service Plazas (not Rest Areas) in the state. There are several users who have reported both closings & openings that we can then verify on the official website (they are supposed to be sending out email newsletters, but I haven't gotten any)
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by yippeekyaa
Since the map updates can take from days(recently) to weeks it's not advised to close a road on the map for short term road closures.
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... d_closures
yippeekyaa
Send a message

Post by youncs
Just not 'real time' enough to be practical I guess.

If you have to drive past a closed road then Waze will just reroute you around it. It likely won't have a significant impact on your arrival time.

I have two road closure user requests in my editable area right now that I'm going to have to close out without being able to explain to the user why.
youncs
Send a message
iPhone 4 / iOS6 *I dont' navigate very often, but when I do, I use Apple Maps . . .

Post by youncs
Thanks for the reference link.

The only way I feel that is practical is if you are personally aware of what the nature and duration of the construction project is. Opening / closing roads based on a UR is kinda sketchy since whoever it was that reported it closed may not report that it's open again. I think if it's important enough for them to want to submit a report then they should probably jump on the map editor and manage that road themselves since it obviously directy affects them. I don't really feel comfortable doing it remotely having not verified or monitored the closure myself. Seems like the net gain of attempting to manage this type of thing isn't worth the hassle unless it was A MAJOR and long term project.
youncs
Send a message
iPhone 4 / iOS6 *I dont' navigate very often, but when I do, I use Apple Maps . . .

Post by Your_AverageJoe
Thanks for the replies.

It's a shame it's been dropped.

I often use Waze for directions, but when it directs you down a road that you know is closed, due to accident/road works, it's pretty useless.

Hopefully they'll look at this feature again soon.
Your_AverageJoe
Send a message
If you're on Twitter, so am I. @BZ_George