Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Screen burn in from Waze

Post by damunk
I just noticed that the 2 main buttons for Waze (Navigate/Report) have been burnt into my screen. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S2 which uses a Super Amoled screen and I had to find out the hard way that these screens suffer from burn in when you leave the same image on the screen for a prolongued time.

Since the 2 buttons are the only things static on the waze screen I was wondering if the waze devs could implement an option to disable these 2 buttons untill I touch the screen.

I use Waze daily, on commutes sometimes taking more than 2 hours. So for now I will disable the screen on my phone, but it would be nice if Waze could implement something to prevent this, so other people don´t ruin their expensive phone like I did.
damunk

POSTER_ID:3859172

Send a message

Post by AJ4VS
Thank you all for the heads up. I hope the devs fixes this as suggested
AJ4VS
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
I've already gotten burn in from other apps so whenever my Galaxy S Super AMOLED screen shows greys, it's all kinds of crazy. But I agree on making the buttons transparent, moving or just activated on touch like the zoom and compass buttons.

I've modified my screen colours to highlight roads, so I expect even more burn-in from having bright yellow and white roads against a dark grey background.

But this phone only has a few more months before the contract is up, and I'm jumping ship to something newer on a different carrier, so I am not sweating the details.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jonathanjeter
I have burn in on my Motorola Razr Maxx HD. I can see a shadow of the round mph symbol at the bottom right, as well as the main black navigation areas at the top and bottom. Apparently this is an issue on AMOLED screens. Are there any plans to help alleviate this when using Waze, since you obviously don't want to have the screen timeout while you're using the app.

Thanks.
jonathanjeter
Send a message
Jonathan Jeter

Area Manager - Ellis County, Texas
Verizon Motorola Razr Maxx HD
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by khaytsus
I've also found this, the Navigation and Report buttons are burning into my Galaxy Note screen. I've logged a suggestion (SUG-0367) that these buttons can be hidden.

Since these are bright and static, this WILL happen to anyone using Waze regularly with an AMOLED screen. If these can be hidden, the problem reduces itself.

My suggestion is that these two buttons also get hidden when the "Hide controls" preferences is checked.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by khaytsus
You guys have switched to the Night view, right? At least that makes the two buttons darker.

I've always used Tasker to copy my own schema to use for Daytime, so now I just copy it to the night folder instead. That way it always has my schema, I don't have to manually copy it after updating Waze.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by Muppet_Of_Doom
...OH...thanks for the heads-up...I hope the Devs get on a fix for this...I like the suggestions about having the option for the 2 main buttons to be hidden until the screen is tapped, similar to (or along with) the 'display map controls on tap' feature...
Muppet_Of_Doom
Send a message

Post by saster
Second that...
Same burn-in on my galaxy Nexus.

Either have the buttons move around or as mentioned above, only show on command.

And make the buttons darker, or semi transparent.

I run my nexus in night mode all the time, and have the background color set to 0 (default is greyish) to save power.
saster
Send a message

Post by saster
Do we have any confirmation from waze developers, that they are working on this?
This is an critical issue, and probably quite easy to fix!

Step 1: make buttons and other static information semi transparent.
Step 2: make static info appear on command.

A simple "burn in protection" options to enable.

/S
saster
Send a message

Post by Superfraggle
i've had the same problem with most sat nav apps I used.

Turn the brightness down as low as comfortable will help reduce this as much as possible.

Waze have decreased the brightness of it slightly, which should also help. I'm not sure if anything else is in the pipeline for this though, its a difficult one to manage.
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///AvrXT[/img][img]https:///p9mgM[/img]