These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

"Ghost traffic jams"

Post by shirlig
Hi everybody,
We're currently investigating all the "ghost" traffic jams which are automatically generated by the system when stopping at gas stations / parking.
To do that, it would be tremendously helpful if you could send us some recent examples of such scenarios.

I'm sure that many of you have posted about this problem before but recent examples with the following details would really help us:
1) Time (date+hour) including timezone
2) User name
3) segment id / permalink
4) If you can get a screenshot - that would be great.. (optional)
5) Any additional info which seems relevant

Please note that we need examples of ghost traffic jams caused by your driving session and not those created by others.
If you have a lead, please post it here and we'll do our best to improve this aspect :)

Thank you very very much :)
shirli
shirlig

POSTER_ID:94099

Send a message

Post by robin1979
R4CLucky14 wrote: I also understand that Waze developing an interface for each of these systems would be a near nightmare.
DATEX2, it's a standard, pretty much adopted by all of Europe, and lots of other countries following.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by R4CLucky14
I know Tennessee has a "SmartWay" system - which measures traffic data on freeways in most urban areas and some rural areas, while also posting construction, alert signs, etc.

I know other states probably have sort of system similar to this, and I'm sure at least some other countries have a similar system, too.

I also know Waze rejected the idea of implementing these, believing their data is better - and I'm sure it is -- when there are a multitude of Wazers - where one Wazer stopping shouldn't cause a jam if 2+ more Wazers are passing him at normal speeds.

I also understand that Waze developing an interface for each of these systems would be a near nightmare. I'm almost thinking Waze ought to ask the community to develop an interface between their government's system and Waze. I know I'd be up for it if Waze gave me something to go off from.
R4CLucky14
Send a message
Tennessee Editors, paritipate in our Wikipage

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon, Android 2.3.4.

Post by phil_whiteboy
Today i was playing pac-man in a residential area. There were aprox 10 streets with dots so i was tracing over them. About half of the streets where auto marked traffic with average speeds of 25km.

With this being the average speed limit in those areas, plus many speed bumps slowing your down, made it seem crazy to see half a neighborhood lit-up with the actual speed limit as congested just from little ole me.
phil_whiteboy
Send a message

Post by phil_whiteboy
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: The physics of triangulation are wildly dissimilar to traffic flow, but your point about accurate traffic reporting with a single device is correct and I agree with it.
Yes, triangulation is dissimilar to traffic flow. I was making the point that you can not predict movement of an object (traffic) based on a single point (one device) without any known variables of that single point in relation to that object.

I just wanted to throw in the GPS example in the hopes that the developers might actually read this some day and realize although well intended the concept is not practical. They should solve the issue by thinking of a new method, and not just trying to tweak their current method.
phil_whiteboy
Send a message

Post by phil_whiteboy
Sure in a perfect world that is black and white, you can define it with ridged conditions. However since the world is not black and white and there are soo many what-ifs and variables involved, i do not believe you can create a traffic system based on a single moving device. Cities that offer automated traffic reporting do so with fixed locations monitoring multiple vehicles passing defined points.

True it would be nice, and it would be considered safer for drivers to have it 100% automated. But so would world peace and solving hunger. However just because we wish it doesn't mean there is a simple or practical solution to it.

I am willing to state for the record, it is impossible to automate accurate traffic reporting based on a single device as there is not enough known information. There are too many variables and it would require reporting from multiple sources.

Do they track GPS with a single satellite? See my point? I know you don't want to accept it, but it doesn't change the physics / facts of the matter. Just give it up, let it go... :)
phil_whiteboy
Send a message

Post by phil_whiteboy
Sometimes the simplest solution is the best...

How about no automatic computations of traffic jams? There is a report traffic button already on the client so why not let us use it? If someone clicks the report traffic then gladly slap the average speed on that segment of reported road. But if no one has clicked the button then why try to automatically detect traffic? I know the developers want to show off their toys of what is possible, but sometimes you can be too smart for your own good.

Simple fix, no automatic, if im stuck in traffic i will push the button. Done, hours of labor and wages saved from debugging efforts. Put that energy into something else we can benefit from.

BTW: In the wiki is said a pause button would be added in v2.2 however im using v3.1 and still do not see a pause button. However i still think waiting to push the traffic button is better then to always push a pause button every time i stop. It would get to be annoying as i will stop and go more then i hit a traffic jam.
phil_whiteboy
Send a message