Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by whatever2015
i currently use Sygic GPS, as it has speed limits.

It also has options to be alerted if you are going 3, 6, or 9 MPH faster or slower than the posted speed limit. I sometimes have it run in the background because the audible alert will go off.

It's not a free app but there is a free trial.

Copilot boasts speed limits but in the USA version it doesn't work.
whatever2015
Send a message

Post by whatever2015
i understand.

but what i was saying with Sygic is that someone can run it in the background while using waze and can be alerted if they are speeding via a sound that sygic outputs.

People desire speed limits in waze so they dont speed on the road they are on if the speed limit is unknown. No one wants waze to base its' navigation on the posted speed limit.

perhaps waze could make an option in the client to display the average road speed in place of the speedometer and that would be a quick fix for those of us desiring speed limits.
whatever2015
Send a message

Post by whatever2015
of course a driver should be paying to attention to the road and their driving and reading signs 100% of the time.
But who in reality behaves like this 100% of the time ?

All that is desired is an audible warning if we are driving over the posted speed limit. That is all.
Other nav apps do this.

With waze, whenever a speed limit sign is seen, someone can enter it into map. It's not that hard really. It's not any different than reporting a hazard or map issue.

Waze can assume the speed limit is the same for the entire road, until someone else enters a new speed limit.
whatever2015
Send a message

Post by whatever2015
i understand and agree that there are alot more important things than putting in speed limits.

I think things they are working on in the latest beta could also be bypassed for now so they can work better on avoiding traffic with customizable user options on how a user would like to avoid traffic.

Maybe i don't mind a 5 minute delay to my destination if i can avoid the traffic. there should be an option where the user can set the amount in which waze will reroute regardless of an eta change.

in the mean time, i have to use waze and my magellan because the magellan has a detour option.
whatever2015
Send a message

Post by whatever2015
thanks alan.
you may have seen my other post elsewhere with some ideas i had.... maybe you or someone may be able to share them at the next meetup.

Concerning re-routing:

when the latest update had recently come out, i noticed waze doing alot of navigating around traffic, and it was very good. as of late though, it doesn't do so as much. I wonder what someone changed on the server.

maybe for a future update, the people at waze should put it in the Client, various options for the users to decide how waze should give a route and navigate around traffic instead of them doing it themselves.

I noticed it seems waze doesn't navigate around a minor accident, only a major one. Does waze only use slowdowns to navigate around accidents ? there was a major accident reported over the weekend, i put in a route to pass it and waze didn't navigate around it. when the latest update recently came out, it would navigate around heavy traffic, accidents, and etc.

Perhaps some of the following could be options in the client so the user can decide how Waze will route to a destination:

1. Avoid major accidents ?
2. Avoid minor accidents ?
3. Avoid on-road construction ?
4. Avoid road when average speed is X mph or less ? (the value for x, the user would input the number themselves)
5. Reroute if time saved is X minute or greater ? (the current value of 1 minute isn't really effective, again, the number for x would be entered by the user)
6. Avoid police ?
7. Always navigate so address is on the right side ? (yes or no).

these are just some ideas I am sure which can be expanded upon. I don't see why these options would be difficult to include especially since there are already options in the client the currently effect the servers routing.

I personally would like # 7 because i'm a delivery driver in the US. With the address on the right, you won't have to make odd turns or "drive around the block" turns. It will save alot of time in some areas I drive in as well.
whatever2015
Send a message

Post by whatever2015
waze should not use speed limit data in it's calculations. That would screw up stuff.

The way they have it now is the best... by using the current average speed and etc.

The only reason for speed limits in waze is as an alert if one is going over the speed limit.

i'm sure down the road, it will eventually get added.

In the meantime, they have bugs to fix and stuff. Yesterday, waze was acting up on me with constant recalcs and proceed to destination error.
whatever2015
Send a message

Post by whatever2015
speed limits of the roads should not be used to calculate routes.

Waze is doing it the ideal way by using the average speed of the road. This shouldn't change.
The other GPS programs do the routing by the speed limit. Waze would be commiting suicide in my opinion if they went down this road.

What this thread should be talking about is the eventual adding of speed limits to show drivers what the speed limit is and alert them if they are driving over it.

Speed limit data shouldn't be used in traffic detection.

One of the benefits that stands out to me as a delivery driver, is that waze gathers the average speed of the roads. They don't keep track of where the traffic lights are and how long a light is, but the longer the traffic light is for a road, the lower the average speed of the road is.

As a result, you won't be routed to a long traffic light among other things as well.
whatever2015
Send a message

Post by whatever2015
to the person interested in speed limits get a tom tom our get the sygic gps 4 your phone
whatever2015
Send a message