Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Do you leave your client running?

Post by mattlach
Hey all,

When I first started using the app, I would turn it off every time I turned off the car, but I had problems with my points updating.

Through trial and error I have found that the only way to get my points to update reliably, is to leave my client on, whether I'm driving or not.

Typically, just before midnight the data upload will occur, and then I can quit the app without consequences.

Problem is, leaving the Waze app running seems to wear on the battery life of my Samsung Galaxy S3.

What do you do? Have you also found that leaving the app running all the time is required?
mattlach

POSTER_ID:10483724

Send a message

I had 3 iPhones in a row. (original > 3G > 4) NEVER AGAIN!

Post by ltmltm
I'm still waiting for waze to support an android exit intent so that it can be automatically turned off when exiting the car using things like tasker or some car dock app.
ltmltm
Send a message

Post by mattlach
Hmm.

I wish there were a way to tell if it had stored data it was waiting to upload, or if all data has uploaded.

My major driving is between work and home, at each place I have wifi, I'm wondering if the Waze app gets confused when connecting to Wifi at the end of the drive, and that's why I've had data upload issues...

Does the app locally cache uploads if they can't be performed before the app shuts down, so that it can try again next time it loads, or are they gone once the app shuts down?
mattlach
Send a message

Post by mattlach
Ok,

But if the data can't be uploaded, and you turn off the client, is it lost forever, or is it stored locally on the device, and another upload attempt made the next time the client runs?
mattlach
Send a message

Post by mattlach
mdqueenz wrote:The Waze app should only be running while actively driving. Leaving it on while at home/work etc... Is polluting traffic data by reporting non existent traffic.
Ahh,

I presumed they used some sort of algorithm to decide when to collect data and when not to, otherwise how do they know if someone hasn't stropped on their own accord, rather than sitting, stuck in traffic?
mattlach
Send a message

Post by mdqueenz
The Waze app should only be running while actively driving. Leaving it on while at home/work etc... Is polluting traffic data by reporting non existent traffic.
mdqueenz
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
NYC / Long Island Based US Country Manager
Iphone 4S - IOS 6.0.1 - AT&T

Post by novarider79
Is there a way to automate shut down of Waze when removed from the car dock?
novarider79
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
Interesting thread.

All this time, I thought I was turning Waze off to keep from draining the battery. Between Waze and my music app, I can run my iPhone down pretty quickly.
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by rvnash
I use an iPhone.

I don't understand what people mean by leaving your client running. If I start Waze, and then switch to another App, is it still registering my driving? If it stays idle for a long time in the background, is it still registering? If it stops registering will it pick up again when I start driving? How can I tell? Do I need to make the app "active" again to make it start?

I also don't know what you mean by "shutting it down". So does killing the app by clicking on the "x" in the running app list count as shutting it down, or are you talking only about the "close" button in the app? Does clicking the "x" cause an upload? If the upload fails, does it keep my data if and try later when I restart the app, or just throw it away?

Can Waze explain with some clarity how all of this works?
rvnash
Send a message

Post by rvnash
What an odd place to put that functionality. Uploading the logs is not a "Setting" and it doubly is not a "Help" activity. It would be nice if there were a top level button in the main menu for "Logs" where you can see what logs you have that have yet been uploaded and do it from there.
rvnash
Send a message