Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by dmcconachie
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:There are rumors that waze has addressed this in the current beta. But I haven't seen it yet.
They claim to have, and I've seen it, but haven't gotten to testing it specifically. I've found too many other bugs.

Implementation is poor, IMO, as they added a new Setting, instead of using the existing on-screen button. I don't understand that and have made my disappointment known to the developers. The way they did it is illogical.
But it's a start. Moving it to be toggled by the compass icon can presumably be done easily enough once it's confirmed to be working. Preferably a tri-state toggle [Off, Temporary, On].
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:Preferably a tri-state toggle [Off, Temporary, On].
Unsure of the definition of "temporary." Not sure trinary is a great idea.... Ambiguous.
Ambiguous? Not if it's displayed properly.
Single tap to orientate north up for say 5 seconds, display a clock over the compass. Double tap to fix north up, display a padlock over the compass.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by foxfoxfoxfoxfox
Does Waze not want to offer an official response on this?
foxfoxfoxfoxfox
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Welcome Dash-2 !
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
This is a very personal thing. For me it makes more sense to use the 3-D view, NO north up. Then the map is showing what is ahead of you similar to looking out your windshield from a very high seating position and being able to look farther ahead than humanly possible :lol:

I think that the North up preference is preferred for those who do/did look at a map book or atlas in paper format. You hold the book one way, with North being at the top. Although surely some of us used to rotate the book to show the direction of travel at the top.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
jasonh300 wrote:When I'm moving, it's oriented to the direction I'm going as, in my mind, its no longer functioning as a map
It's really not a map application, it's a turn-by-turn, commuting, traffic smart routing, GPS application.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by GizmoGuy411
It would be great if you could LOCK the north up too, so that it does not keep reverting back. (like maybe by a long push of the North Up button)

I'm one of those persons that visualizes maps with north up regardless of what direction I'm traveling. So yes... My paper maps never need to rotate.

I know other people's brains don't work that way, and prefer and need Course Up maps, but I bet there are a lot of other North Up people in the world.

Are You?
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
I get lost when North is not up! Im always pressing the button for my brain to get oriented.

Curious that other people think the other way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by ircphoenix
I am definitely a "north up" person, for the same reason. I learned to navigate back in the day with good old fashioned paper maps... aka real estate maps (they military ain't got nothin' on real estate agents for accuracy).

I certainly wouldn't mind having a persistent option in the settings for north being set to the top of the screen. I think various other navigation programs have this, and it's a handy feature for those of us that are old school. There might even be a uservoice request/post/thing for this feature.
ircphoenix
Send a message
Area Manager - Los Angeles, CA (on strike)
HTC Incredible - Verizon - CyanogenMod 7
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Client & Cartouche Known Issues
Waze Client Suggestions (Uservoice) | Cartouche Suggestions (Uservoice)

Post by jackpin
:sad: why u no fix "lock to north" WHY!!! :cry:

P.S. dear "WEBPAGE ADMIN" ..on this forum FAQ on the "Why can’t I register?" take note to tell user to use the WASE app "login" to enter this forum.. i've been searching how to login this forum to voice this "lock to north" ISSUE because its been bugging me than found another bug! to login to this forum!
jackpin
Send a message