[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov 16

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: [Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.4.2 Oc

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Timbones wrote:
skbun wrote:If I touch any given segment, and then click 'Save' in WME, any segment which I had changed comes up with a wacky speed result. It doesn't matter whether I have any node (or the node in question) highlighted when I do click save; this result persists until I reload the page.

This is a known bug in the WME code, for which I may include a fix for in future versions.
Workaround for now is to reload the editor, or ignore the crazy speeds.

Sure-sure. I thought it might be, since I couldn't see anything in the .js code that would explain why pulling fwdspeed and revspeed would suddenly be multipled as it is, but this is good to hear from the horse's mouth. Thank you very much! :)

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Timbones wrote:
TheDane wrote:+1 on the suggestion from skbun about making it possible to see all problems in an area using a colour coding for all segments that have issues.

This was how it worked in an earlier version but it showed an aweful lot of problems, most of which don't actually need fixing. I felt that showing all nodes with soft-turns would encourage editors to QW all of them, which adds little value to the map and increases the chance of turns being set incorrectly. Therefore, I took the decision to only show them for one node/segment at a time, for when a particular routing issue needs to be diagnosed.

Hmm. So I'm on the same page with you in the sense that soft turn junctions aren't really a big problem. When I'm scanning and fixing nodes, the ones I'm REALLY looking for are 'violets' and 'reds', reverse connectivity and U-turns, because I find that they DO mess up routing, and also can cause issues trying to connect roads together in the editor, because nodes won't snap in properly. It's probably great and all that soft turns are highlighted on a segment by segment basis, but what about flagging the two 'severe' ones in the global highlight way described?

So, highlight all roads: U-turns, reverse connectivity.
Highlight in any one selected segment: soft turns, U-turns, reverse connectivity.

I don't care much about yellows either. But the others, yeah.

U-turns I generally have to move the segment with the U-turn away from the junction, Q, move it back in, W. Reverse connectivity, depending on how deep and ugly the issue, could just be highlighting the offending near segment and QW-ing, or moving the offending segment node to a dummy road (or other endpoint) to 'destroy the node', and reconnect.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby TheDane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:55 am

-Thanks Tim for replying! I have to say I tend to agree with you but also that skbun has a very valid point in his last post.

In Copenhagen I tried fixing a UR with a weird routing - and it turned out the segment had 8 (eight!!!) reverse connections and 2 u-turns (its a 167 m long segment) and also many of the neighboor segments had similar issues (maybe only 3- 6 reverse connections). I have not even looked at the soft turns - I agree they are way less important (at least initially).

I have highlighted two example sections in the link if anyone cares to have a look :-) The area is not fixed yet - simply gone on the To Do list...

The shorter stretch is an example of a segment that still has issues - while the longer stretch and its immediate connections has been fixed, but for connectivity only - not geometry and turn restrictions - the latter requires a field trip because of Metro/underground construction in the area leading to closed roads and changed turns.

Poke around and many issues turn up - remember the checkmark in Turn Warnings for Selected nodes ;) ;) :lol:

https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=12.5 ... ,103930612
TheDane

Postby svx-biker » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Any idea why I get different options on World vs. US Server?

Edit: Just found that it's not related to the server but rather to the user. Is this intentional, i.e. a level(0) user has fewer options? I saw your PS on the first post but it seems different: When I login and logout with my Level(0) test user I always miss the advanced options. If I login as svx-biker, logout and relogin with level(0) I still have them though.
Attachments
Highlights ROTW.jpg
Highlights ROTW.jpg (17.88 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Highlights US.jpg
Highlights US.jpg (32.11 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
svx-biker
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 pm

svx-biker wrote:Just found that it's not related to the server but rather to the user. Is this intentional, i.e. a level(0) user has fewer options?

Yes, this is correct. The Advanced Options only appear for Area Managers.
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby svx-biker » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Timbones wrote:Yes, this is correct. The Advanced Options only appear for Area Managers.

Ok, makes Sense. Not refreshing when changing the user isn't a problem as "normal" users won't do this anyway ;)
svx-biker
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Timbones wrote: This was how it worked in an earlier version but it showed an awful lot of problems, most of which don't actually need fixing. I felt that showing all nodes with soft-turns would encourage editors to QW all of them, which adds little value to the map and increases the chance of turns being set incorrectly. Therefore, I took the decision to only show them for one node/segment at a time, for when a particular routing issue needs to be diagnosed.

I understand the issue, but it also helped experienced editor hone in on areas with a lot of problems. It was really valuable for that! Some suggestions:
-Could you make it so all selected segments show highlighting, like highlight-turn-restrictions worked in old cartouche?
-Could you detect the editors level and only turn on global highlighting for level 3 and above?
-Could you bring it back and integrate the junction fixer script as a button, so existing turn restrictions are not destroyed?
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby khaytsus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:19 am

Just wanted to drop a huge thank you for this script.. Louisville, KY has I71, I64, I-65, I-264, I-265, all piled on top of each other like dropped spaghetti, most of the roads had no cardinals, a lot of the exits were blank, many more were slightly inaccurate or not meeting current exit naming standards, etc..

Highlighting "last edited in N days" helped me keep track of what I'd done and not done and kept me sane, thank you. :)
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
khaytsus

Postby skbun » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:47 pm

TheDane wrote:In Copenhagen I tried fixing a UR with a weird routing - and it turned out the segment had 8 (eight!!!) reverse connections and 2 u-turns (its a 167 m long segment) and also many of the neighboor segments had similar issues (maybe only 3- 6 reverse connections). I have not even looked at the soft turns - I agree they are way less important (at least initially).

I have highlighted two example sections in the link if anyone cares to have a look :-) The area is not fixed yet - simply gone on the To Do list...

Poking segment by segment around the greater Seattle area, I think my record for 'most reverse connections on a segment' was about 44, with several in that immediate area having 25+. I saw that and just had to laugh out loud. Before fixing it, that is!

As you say. The problem U-turns and reverse conns are out there. :lol: Those are the only two I'd want globally highlighted anyway. Soft turns aren't actually a problem worth proactively fixing, nor seeing globally! (But it's useful on single segment highligting, IMHO.)

skbun

Postby mike-bronner » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi Tim,

Forgive me if the has been asked and answered already: would it be possible to add a highlight selector for states? I am editing in one of those states that have been thoroughly mixed up with a neighboring state, and would love to highlight out all the errant state segments.

Thanks!
~Mike
mike-bronner

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor