[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov 16

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby foxitrot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Timbones wrote:
foxitrot wrote:If the v1.0.1 is enabled, opening an(y) editor page using a permalink with segments does not select and highlight these segments.

I cannot replicate this issue, except when selecting a Street and zooming out too far. This cannot be fixed.

Maybe "highlight" was not the correct word, I've meant "selected" (the segments, listed in permalink URL).
No, not zoomed far at all, e.g. zoom=8 in city streets. Or I can not get these 5 segments selected, unless I switch the Highlighter off... The same with current v1.1.0.

I have also tried disabling other plugins - no difference. I have to try other Firefox instance. Howewer it works correctly with Chrome 21.0.1180.89, with both WME and betaw.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7065
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:22 pm
Location: Slovakia
Has thanked: 2353 times
Been thanked: 1076 times

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby Timbones » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:58 pm

foxitrot wrote:Bug report:
If the v1.0.1 is enabled, opening an(y) editor page using a permalink with segments (or landmarks) does not select and highlight these segments (or landmarks).
I do not remember, whether it was functional in the previous versions.

I cannot replicate this issue, except when selecting a Street and zooming out too far. This cannot be fixed.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
 
Posts: 6677
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 am
Location: York, UK
Has thanked: 973 times
Been thanked: 2608 times

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby foxitrot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Bug report:
If the v1.0.1 is enabled, opening an(y) editor page using a permalink with segments (or landmarks) does not select and highlight these segments (or landmarks).
I do not remember, whether it was functional in the previous versions.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7065
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:22 pm
Location: Slovakia
Has thanked: 2353 times
Been thanked: 1076 times

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby Laurentwb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Yes. You are right.

Back to the original suggestion : It would be great to be able to highlight all roads having only one connection, unterminated or not.

Regards.

Laurent
Laurentwb
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:18 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby Spil » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:13 am

foxitrot wrote:
Laurentwb wrote:Here is a permalink pointing to a place where there are 4 roads with connection on only one side. Three are highlighted, one is not. https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lon=4.39773&lat=50.80443&layers=BFTFTTTFTTTTTTTFTTTTFT I understand why these dead-end roads don't show up the same way.

Because this one is terminated with a junction, whereas these three are not.

Exactly. In other words, the northernmost one of those four segments is (in my words from above) a "properly-represented dead-end street", so it would be pointless to highlight it as a potential problem.

The other three segments that did get colored have a problem: because there is no junction node at the ends of these segments, the routing server has trouble interpreting and using them correctly. That's why they're highlighted -- because they have a problem that needs to be addressed (by adding a junction node at the end -- the easiest way to do so is to draw a new road from one's end to another one's end, then delete the new road).
Spil
 
Posts: 1320
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby foxitrot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:00 am

Laurentwb wrote:Here is a permalink pointing to a place where there are 4 roads with connection on only one side. Three are highlighted, one is not. https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lon=4.39773&lat=50.80443&layers=BFTFTTTFTTTTTTTFTTTTFT I understand why these dead-end roads don't show up the same way.

Because this one is terminated with a junction, whereas these three are not.

Laurentwb wrote: My point, as you say, is to really highlight roads with connection on only one side because it is a good tool to find where there are real connection issues rather than dead-end roads.

As you say, not sure it is feasible. But it would be so great ...

So, you would like to highlight all four roads? To notice where a road's end is floating near some other road, but is not connected to it?

It off course is feasible. But from my experience, such unconnected road is usually not terminated by a junction, but its end is freely floating very near the other road. (On a manually created map, I admit I'm not sure about an imported basemap.) And just this type of roads gets highlighted now.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7065
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:22 pm
Location: Slovakia
Has thanked: 2353 times
Been thanked: 1076 times

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:35 am

Laurent, I think I too am confused by your request. With the map down I cannot see your map location yet, but your description is all about dead-end roads. Maybe your point is if you see a dead-end road in a place where you thought it was a through road you would investigate further?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5194
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1328 times
Been thanked: 1568 times

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby Laurentwb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:21 am

Spil wrote:If I'm reading you correctly, this is exactly what the "highlight unterminated roads" option does. If there is a road segment that is not connected to a junction at one or both of its ends, then it gets colored a lovely lime green by this function. :)

If you're talking about road segments that are connected to a junction that has no other road segments attached to it ... well, that's a different story. It probably could be done, but I'm not sure how valuable that would be as an editing guide (since it would flag all properly-represented dead-end streets as potential problems :o).


Thanks for the reply.

Here is a permalink pointing to a place where there are 4 roads with connection on only one side. Three are highlighted, one is not. https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lon=4.39773&lat=50.80443&layers=BFTFTTTFTTTTTTTFTTTTFT

I understand why these dead-end roads don't show up the same way. My point, as you say, is to really highlight roads with connection on only one side because it is a good tool to find where there are real connection issues rather than dead-end roads.

As you say, not sure it is feasible. But it would be so great ...

Laurent
Laurentwb
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:18 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby Spil » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:53 am

Laurentwb wrote:One of the feature that can be very useful is the possibility to highlight unterminated roads because it allows to highlight connection problems.
However, it is currently not fully operational as it not really the original purpose (which is to highlight unterminated roads olny).

A suggestion would be to have an additional option to highlight roads which are connected on one side only or on no side at all?

If I'm reading you correctly, this is exactly what the "highlight unterminated roads" option does. If there is a road segment that is not connected to a junction at one or both of its ends, then it gets colored a lovely lime green by this function. :)

If you're talking about road segments that are connected to a junction that has no other road segments attached to it ... well, that's a different story. It probably could be done, but I'm not sure how valuable that would be as an editing guide (since it would flag all properly-represented dead-end streets as potential problems :o).
Spil
 
Posts: 1320
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: Script to add Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.0

Postby Laurentwb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:05 am

Hello,

First of all, I would like to thank the author for this great script.

One of the feature that can be very useful is the possibility to highlight unterminated roads because it allows to highlight connection problems.
However, it is currently not fully operational as it not really the original purpose (which is to highlight unterminated roads olny).

A suggestion would be to have an additional option to highlight roads which are connected on one side only or on no side at all?
Would that be feasible ?

Thank you for feedback.

Laurent
Laurentwb
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:18 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 38 times

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, tom-cat-67