[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov 16

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: [Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.4.2 Oc

Postby foxitrot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:11 pm

mike-bronner wrote:...would it be possible to add a highlight selector for states? I am editing in one of those states that have been thoroughly mixed up with a neighboring state...

I'm supporting this too. I live and edit just at the borderline...

(I was already thinking hard of spinning a modified copy of the City highlight selector, but after looking at the code and thinking of having to regularly patch the approx. hundred of tiny changes with each new version of the script...)
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 4.0.xx.yyy (OP-X LOL-a-popp).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:07 am

mike-bronner wrote:would it be possible to add a highlight selector for states? I am editing in one of those states that have been thoroughly mixed up with a neighboring state, and would love to highlight out all the errant state segments.

Maybe. Problem is, we don't have 'states' in my country (rest of the world), despite us begging Waze for 3 years.

Can you post some example permalinks?
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:27 am

Timbones wrote:Maybe. Problem is, we don't have 'states' in my country (rest of the world), despite us begging Waze for 3 years.

Can you post some example permalinks?

Here's a permalink I found in the state of Mississippi. This is just a minor road; I fixed most of the examples in this area already. There had been a good 10-15 km of roads with the wrong state name east of this small town.

Crazy thing is, it isn't near a state line. Grenada is a good 120 miles from any state line at all!

I also edit in Alabama and Florida and find that Waze offers a choice of both states for a long distance past the state line. Waze obviously knows where the state lines are drawn, because if we edit these incorrect segments and don't change the state, it throws an error.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.4.2 Oct 29

Postby mike-bronner » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 am

CrackedLCD wrote:Waze obviously knows where the state lines are drawn, because if we edit these incorrect segments and don't change the state, it throws an error.

I know .... That's what I find it quite irksome that they don't address this. I have reported this issue since I started editing, probably over a year ago.
I have come up with a patch for Tim's script that will allow highlighting of states, and have been using it this evening quite successfully, so the good news is hat it's definitely doable. I have submitted it to Tim in the hopes that he might include it in the next release. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mike-bronner

Postby paulwelch23 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:41 am

Tim,

This script is simply awesome! Thank you so much for creating this wonder. It is so useful and you deserve high praise! I have been using it for a few weeks and I have found it to be immensely powerful and it gives me absolutely no problems.

You are the bomb! Thank you so much!
Paul M. Welch, PE

Tennessee-based CM, focusing on Middle / East TN and Memphis
paulwelch23

Postby skbun » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:43 am

mike-bronner wrote:I know .... That's what I find it quite irksome that they don't address this. I have reported this issue since I started editing, probably over a year ago.
I have come up with a patch for Tim's script that will allow highlighting of states, and have been using it this evening quite successfully, so the good news is hat it's definitely doable. I have submitted it to Tim in the hopes that he might include it in the next release. :)

Heh! That's awesome. I was poking around the code a bit myself. That Tim doesn't have a state field where he is explains a behavior we see in North America. (I hacked on the 'get city names' script a little)...

I find myself wishing that the city pulldowns also had the state (if it exists), and Waze's internal ID alongside. One, it makes 'the right city in this area' obvious when there are several with the same name, and two, because I wonder if they could be used somehow to find and identify segments that cause city smudges. (See http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Fixing_%22smudged%22_cities ).

This would -especially- be true if you can set one city as persistent, and be allowed to zoom out and just say 'Is this blah blah city ID anywhere in this range?'

If you consider the permalink https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

...and modify the highlights script to dump out City IDs to the console.log, you get something like this:
Auburn 23489
Pacific 23491
Tacoma 23509
Algona 23597
Federal Way 23608
Federal Way 23877
Lakeland South 23878
Federal Way 50088
Federal Way 51273
(NULL?) id:999953
* Washington 100000040

* That last one is the correct state.

Of course, without the IDs, you see four 'Federal Way's, all shown as the same city. This said, I'm pretty sure three of the four have different incorrect states behind them: Alabama, and Oregon. All evidence of a city smudge, but not the ID number that might help trace it. (How to USE said ID I'm not sure yet. Anyone have any ideas?)
Last edited by skbun on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.4.2 Oct 29

Postby fvwazing » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:56 am

Timbones wrote:
mike-bronner wrote:would it be possible to add a highlight selector for states? I am editing in one of those states that have been thoroughly mixed up with a neighboring state, and would love to highlight out all the errant state segments.

Maybe. Problem is, we don't have 'states' in my country (rest of the world), despite us begging Waze for 3 years.

A highlighter for countries is very much needed here (on INTL) as well...
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Timbones » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:36 pm

I have made a beta version that appends the state and/or country when there are more than 1 defined in the model. It works quite will with skbun's example of Federal Way above. I've also tested it on international server.

> WME Colour Highlights Beta - v1.4.3

Let me know if this works for you guys...

PS: I also notice that each state object has a geometry. Any ideas what we can do with it?
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby mike-bronner » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Timbones wrote:PS: I also notice that each state object has a geometry. Any ideas what we can do with it?

Would there be a way to determine if a segment within said geometry belongs to a different state, or in other words is outside of the geometry of the state it belongs to? If we could check that and highlight for states, and do the same check for countries as well, we could potentially just need a single option to check without any drop-downs which would highlight all errant segments.
We could even take that a step further if the cities have a geometry, and highlight segments that are outside of city boundaries. :shock: :idea:
mike-bronner

Postby Timbones » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:33 pm

One question would be: where do the state geometries come from (Tiger?) and are they accurate?

City objects do not have geometry.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor