[Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.5 Nov 16

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: [Script] Highlights for Segments & Landmarks - v1.4.2 Oc

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Timbones wrote:
TheDane wrote:+1 on the suggestion from skbun about making it possible to see all problems in an area using a colour coding for all segments that have issues.

This was how it worked in an earlier version but it showed an aweful lot of problems, most of which don't actually need fixing. I felt that showing all nodes with soft-turns would encourage editors to QW all of them, which adds little value to the map and increases the chance of turns being set incorrectly. Therefore, I took the decision to only show them for one node/segment at a time, for when a particular routing issue needs to be diagnosed.

Hmm. So I'm on the same page with you in the sense that soft turn junctions aren't really a big problem. When I'm scanning and fixing nodes, the ones I'm REALLY looking for are 'violets' and 'reds', reverse connectivity and U-turns, because I find that they DO mess up routing, and also can cause issues trying to connect roads together in the editor, because nodes won't snap in properly. It's probably great and all that soft turns are highlighted on a segment by segment basis, but what about flagging the two 'severe' ones in the global highlight way described?

So, highlight all roads: U-turns, reverse connectivity.
Highlight in any one selected segment: soft turns, U-turns, reverse connectivity.

I don't care much about yellows either. But the others, yeah.

U-turns I generally have to move the segment with the U-turn away from the junction, Q, move it back in, W. Reverse connectivity, depending on how deep and ugly the issue, could just be highlighting the offending near segment and QW-ing, or moving the offending segment node to a dummy road (or other endpoint) to 'destroy the node', and reconnect.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby skbun » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:47 pm

TheDane wrote:In Copenhagen I tried fixing a UR with a weird routing - and it turned out the segment had 8 (eight!!!) reverse connections and 2 u-turns (its a 167 m long segment) and also many of the neighboor segments had similar issues (maybe only 3- 6 reverse connections). I have not even looked at the soft turns - I agree they are way less important (at least initially).

I have highlighted two example sections in the link if anyone cares to have a look :-) The area is not fixed yet - simply gone on the To Do list...

Poking segment by segment around the greater Seattle area, I think my record for 'most reverse connections on a segment' was about 44, with several in that immediate area having 25+. I saw that and just had to laugh out loud. Before fixing it, that is!

As you say. The problem U-turns and reverse conns are out there. :lol: Those are the only two I'd want globally highlighted anyway. Soft turns aren't actually a problem worth proactively fixing, nor seeing globally! (But it's useful on single segment highligting, IMHO.)

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby skbun » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:43 am

mike-bronner wrote:I know .... That's what I find it quite irksome that they don't address this. I have reported this issue since I started editing, probably over a year ago.
I have come up with a patch for Tim's script that will allow highlighting of states, and have been using it this evening quite successfully, so the good news is hat it's definitely doable. I have submitted it to Tim in the hopes that he might include it in the next release. :)

Heh! That's awesome. I was poking around the code a bit myself. That Tim doesn't have a state field where he is explains a behavior we see in North America. (I hacked on the 'get city names' script a little)...

I find myself wishing that the city pulldowns also had the state (if it exists), and Waze's internal ID alongside. One, it makes 'the right city in this area' obvious when there are several with the same name, and two, because I wonder if they could be used somehow to find and identify segments that cause city smudges. (See http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Fixing_%22smudged%22_cities ).

This would -especially- be true if you can set one city as persistent, and be allowed to zoom out and just say 'Is this blah blah city ID anywhere in this range?'

If you consider the permalink https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

...and modify the highlights script to dump out City IDs to the console.log, you get something like this:
Auburn 23489
Pacific 23491
Tacoma 23509
Algona 23597
Federal Way 23608
Federal Way 23877
Lakeland South 23878
Federal Way 50088
Federal Way 51273
(NULL?) id:999953
* Washington 100000040

* That last one is the correct state.

Of course, without the IDs, you see four 'Federal Way's, all shown as the same city. This said, I'm pretty sure three of the four have different incorrect states behind them: Alabama, and Oregon. All evidence of a city smudge, but not the ID number that might help trace it. (How to USE said ID I'm not sure yet. Anyone have any ideas?)
Last edited by skbun on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby skbun » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Timbones wrote:I have made a beta version that appends the state and/or country when there are more than 1 defined in the model. It works quite will with skbun's example of Federal Way above. I've also tested it on international server.

> WME Colour Highlights Beta - v1.4.3

Let me know if this works for you guys...

PS: I also notice that each state object has a geometry. Any ideas what we can do with it?

Tim,

What should I be seeing in the dropdown?

I see:
Algona
Auburn
Federal Way
Federal Way
Federal Way
Lakeland North
Lakeland South
Washington

...so I don't think that I'm seeing 'the right thing', perhaps? Granted, I'm on the current WME, not the beta, if that matters. :)

skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby skbun » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Timbones wrote:My bad. Hold tight while I go find the right code.

...okay, try it again now (same version number).

Yes yes!! Definite progress!

Additional feedback on what I see now, if you'd like it...
* Based on https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT - The last on the city list is 'Washington, Washington'. Basically, 'If any city is in view, the last on the list is 'State, State', which always has 0 segments.' Conversely, if you are too far away from any city, the pulldown doesn't bring up anything at all. I wonder if this might be restructured somehow so that the last entry either doesn't show up, or actually means 'No city, <STATE>' (or internationally, 'No City, No City'. That could even mean eliminating the gray no city color, since this will do the same job!

I love what this permalink is showing:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT
(Also shows a case of 'Michigan, Michigan, United States'. Probably the thing above.)

Is it possible to highlight any such found roads regardless of zoom level? (I have this feeling that WME itself restricts what can be polled based on zoom level, but if not, boy would it identify smeared cities and countries fast)

Loving this sneak peek, Tim!

skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Idea for dropdown display?

Postby skbun » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:41 am

Preface: This is only a suggestion. It feels like it would maximize the useful information here and helps single out flaws, but it may be a nightmare of loops. Just want to put it out there as a possibility.

* List all cities, including 'No city' if applicable. As now, if state and country are identical, they do not need to be printed.
* If the 'state' field is undefined (blank) for all polled segments, do not print the state field at all. If there are 2+ countries and the state field is defined in at least one, print all three: city, state, country.
* If the states are different and the country is the same for all polled, the country does not need to be printed.
* (On the fence about this, but could help debug issues?) At the end of any of these cases, append the CityID unless it's for 'No City'.

Examples:
(Assume State for all is Washington, but there is 1+ Canada country segment).
Algoma, Washington, United States (20051)
Federal Way, Washington, United States (45994)
Black Diamond, Washington, Canada (44221)
NO CITY, Washington, United States

(Assume States mixed between Washington and Oregon. Country same for all.)
Algoma, Washington (20051)
Federal Way, Washington (45994)
Federal Way, Oregon (66554)
NO CITY, Washington

(No state field in ANY segment, null or whatever - probably a typical Intl server case)
Algoma, United States (20051)
Federal Way, United States (45994)
Black Diamond, Canada (92344)
NO CITY, United States

(2+ states, where 'NONE' is counted as one, different countries visible)
Algoma, NO STATE, United States (20051)
Federal Way, Washington, United States (45994)
Black Diamond, Washington, Canada (92344)
NO CITY, Washington, United States

(2+ states, where 'NONE' is counted as one, all same country)
Algoma, Washington (20051)
Federal Way, NO STATE (66446)
Black Diamond, Washington (22445)
NO CITY, Washington

skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby skbun » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:29 pm

Meanwhile, oh boy, here we go. The WME beta is live. :)

skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby skbun » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Timbones wrote:A few changes to my latest beta version (v1.4.6)

• Show both states and countries when near border (thanks skbun)
  • Highlight nodes on main roads that have revcon or selfcon (experimental)
I'm considering re-including the 'measles' to the trunk of this script.

Let me know how you get on with it...

At. A. Glance. I can nail revcon and selfcons on the large roads instantly. This is -awesome-, Tim. Thank you!

skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:19 am

I did a little hacking around myself, today...I created a chunk of code which I submitted to Tim - he can decide whether to include it or not. Since we now know that it is completely possible to have segments with multiple cities in them...

The purpose of my code block is to check Alt streets in addition to primary ones, for city names (or lack thereof). It means that if a segment has two or more cities ('No city' also meaning a 'city'), it'll get highlighted for ANY matched, not just the primary.

skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Wajo357 wrote:I'm loving the script. I'm still getting used to it. Thank you!.

Quick question: I always assumed that Waze stored road speed based on time of day and road speed to go straight or make a turn (based on the navigation routes I would get). However, when I select a segment, it just shows the average speed for that segment. So is this information telling me I was wrong with my assumption?

I think this might be a useful read for you:

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... tes_routes

Meantime...'average' A-B and B-A speeds is an easily pulled data chunk from a segment, so Tim said 'Sure, let's put it in'. Real time data and 'Time of day data' is not, so far as I know.

skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor