Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by gordonski
Hi,

I also think that it would be a very useful feature to be able to set a speed limit for raods in the map editor so that the client can display warnings when you're going too fast. Most navigation softwares do this and I like that. The user could set the level of warnings to recieve e.g. "voice alert", "visual information" like a red speed indication or "no warnings".
Living in a country with highways without speed limit (don't forget to implement the "infinite speed" option in the map editor ;)) I enjoy fast driving, but there a high penalties for speeding and not all speed traps are reported by other users. Plus, we have the lovely ProViDa (Proof Video Data System): police measuring your speed from civil cars. You can't report these on Waze. :roll:
So in case I missed the speed limit sign and I don't know wether I may go 100km/h, 130km/h or whatever I please, it would be really cool if Waze could remind me!

Gordonski
gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte

Post by gordonski
bgodette wrote: There really is no gain from adding this, and a long list of downsides, chief amongst them the liability exposure and additional work needed to maintain that data. Get your speed limit information from where your attention should be, the road.
And get your information about dangers from there, too? Restricted turns? Watch the signs! Traffic jams? Keep a look ahead! ...seriously?

I could do my daily commute completely without the assistance of waze. But it's meant to maker things easier for you. I never drove myself in the US, so I'm not sure what it looks like over there. Here in Europe we have roads where speed limits vary a lot. Outside of cities Germany has a general speed limit of 100km/h (~60mph). But these streets could also be limited to any lower value. Furthermore streets with two lanes per direction or where lanes have constructional separations, the limit is 130km/h (~80mph). In cities the general limit is 50km/h (~30mph) except for multilane roads or seprated lanes where it can be up to 70km/h (~45mph). On highways there's no general limit. However there are many sections which are limited. We also have dynamic limits, which are set automatically or manually when traffic increases, or visibility decreases. Sometimes with individual limits for each lane. On 10 miles of highway the speed limit may vary from 60km/h (~40mph) (road construction) to "whatever your car can do". But few hours later the maximum limit could be only boring 120km/h (~75mph).
If waze offered a feature to inform you about the current speed limit, I'm convinced that over here many wazer would use this feature. I definitely would!

Everyone knows, that waze doesn't offer any official information. When you drive too fast because waze told you so and you get caught, it's still your own fault, just like it's your own fault when you take a disallowed turn or go the wrong way in a oneway street. Waze is an assistant, not an autopilot or a controller you must obey in any situation. I guess this is clear to all of us.

Gordonski
gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!

Post by gordonski
bgodette wrote:Nice hyperbole, except there's a difference, those are things you cannot see "from a distance" that AFFECT ROUTING. Speed limits are not.
Then I wonder, why waze collects speed information and calculates average speeds for roads, when they are not needed IN ANY WAY? (Hooray for caps :roll: )
Just because you don't want speed information it doesn't mean that they must be useless for anybody else on the planet.
As suggested before, it would be possible to implement a toggle in the settings menu to enable and disable speed information, for those who obviously don't give a http://marilyn-manson.net/forums/images ... s/shit.gif .
If this is such a crappy, useless, disturbing feature, then why does every navigation software I have seen so far offer it? And why can't you just accept that some people actually do use this feature because they do think it's useful?

Nothing on waze has official appearance, we all know it's purely user driven. Why does that make any bit of information wrong in your eyes? Why on earth do use waze, when you consider all user-provided data to be wrong?

That's all i have to say about that,
Gordonski
gordonski
Send a message

gordonski
Send a message

Post by harling
RallyChris wrote:The problem is, where to get the data from, and who updates it. Everything currently in the map, can over time be determined by watching people drive. But speed limit is not (as some people speed <gasp>).
And after all the work to enter speed data (segment by segment across the continent) and keep it current, how useful is it really, when the signs are already right there on the road where the Wazer is? Other than putting up a warning when exceeding the speed limit--which I expect many users would disable immediately--I just don't see a very big return on investment, when that time could be spent solving existing URs, making sure the highways are navigable, labeling ramps, etc..
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
kenf3 wrote:Just allow users to report the location of Speed Limit signs. This would fit in easily with the current Reports function/icon...
If you mean, treat speed limit signs like a variety of speed camera, I can see how that might work without diverting AMs and map editors. It wouldn't say anything between (reported) signs, but it wouldn't be a bad compromise. I couldn't tell you what kind of load it might put on the server database, though, as speed limit signs far outnumber speed cameras.
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
ryryryry87 wrote:I don't see why so many people are against crowd-sourcing this information..
Mainly, it's because we already have a pretty good idea how much maintenance the current crowd-sourced data requires, and recognize that adding to that task list leaves fewer resources--Waze employees and volunteers both--available for tasks that are more critical to Waze's success, like making sure the maps are correct and up to date.
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
ryryryry87 wrote:
harling wrote:Mainly, it's because we already have a pretty good idea how much maintenance the current crowd-sourced data requires, and recognize that adding to that task list leaves fewer resources--Waze employees and volunteers both--available for tasks that are more critical to Waze's success, like making sure the maps are correct and up to date.
i am guessing you do not like Waze's gas price feature?
Those are apples & oranges in at least four ways. Gas prices are short-term, constantly-changing data; correspond to a fixed GPS location rather than an area or a number of road segments; can be adjusted within the client; and present little risk of legal liability if the incorrect value is posted.
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
ryryryry87 wrote:
harling wrote:Gas prices are short-term, constantly-changing data; correspond to a fixed GPS location rather than an area or a number of road segments; can be adjusted within the client; and present little risk of legal liability if the incorrect value is posted.
Speed limit signs are long term, and rarely change (less maintenance than gas price changes)
Speed limit signs are a fixed GPS location (they are in the ground!) **I understand the implications in the current editor and this may need to be segment based**
Consider how many gas stations are maintained on the map. Now consider the number of segments on the map. (Hint: segment IDs are eight digits.)
Speed limit signs should be able to be adjusted in the client (with approval)
Exactly: who is going to review the speed limits submitted for the thousands of segments in my small town alone--not to mention in the greater Boston area, the rest of MA, North America...?
I think this task is less work than Gas station crowd-sourcing, but I may be wrong.
Even if Waze were keeping track of prices at 100,000 gas stations, it would take a couple years of daily fuel price updates to reach the number of speed limits that would have to be "approved" for just the first pass; i.e., not including corrections and additions.
I am bored because I just wait for URs so I have something to edit. If I had speed limit data to input, I would have something to do with my free time again :)
Now we're getting somewhere! If you have run out of URs, you need a larger area, preferably somewhere that does not already have an active AM. There is plenty of work left to do on the U.S. map, without having to create more.
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
daknife wrote:Yet if it's such an impossible task to accomplish using crowd sourcing, then how pray tell did the other stand-alone nav gadgets (Tom Tom, Garmin etc...) get their speed limit databases built without the power of crowdsourcing?
$$$$
harling
Send a message