Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by davielde
dbraughlr wrote:
davielde wrote:"Business" is understandable to the ear whether it is a loop or a spur. I know that "Business Interstate" encompasses both loops and spurs …
How about "BI-" → business eye to be generic for loops and spurs?
We could use "Business Loop 94", and "Business 94", and "Business I-94" ("eye") interchangeably without sounding strange and still follow signage. "Business Eye" would work.

I was focused solely on interstates this morning after reading the last few posts. After thinking more about it though, business routes for US highways are also common, and Michigan even has a few business routes for state trunklines (i.e. "Business M-60"). I wouldn't propose anything state-specific, but where would "Business US-[#]" routes fall? In making things convenient from a TTS and shield-generating standpoint for interstate business routes only using "BI-", are we sacrificing consistency with US business routes, or should potential abbreviations be discussed with those in mind as well? "BUS-[#]" likely wouldn't work as we know how that is pronounced...
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The list is case sensitive so I don't think "Mt" had ever been officially tested.
I could not find any reference to "Mt Clemens" quickly, but "Mt" pronounces as "Mount" for me: "at Mt Olivet Cemetery" < voice file

davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
qwaletee wrote:I can see Divers being an issue, as it is also a word unto itself.
I may just be easier to spell out "Diversion". I have not encountered too many in Canada, but I'm not sure how popular it is outside of Ontario.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
PesachZ wrote:
miked_64 wrote:Speaking of problems with letter abbreviations - this UR in Michigan for West "AB" Ave (W AB Ave in the editor) reports that it's pronounced as West Alberta Avenue.

edited url
you may have to change the name of the segments in waze to "W 'AB' Ave", unless the street sign says something different.
If that doesn't pronounce as Alberta, won't it pronounce as "ab" and not the intended "aye bee"? Local usage is to distinguish each letter as this is used in a north to south mile grid. Kalamazoo county would also have a similar issue with "DE Ave" pronouncing as Delaware instead of "Dee Eee" (although that is not as long of a street or in as populated of an area as AB Ave). Maybe use "A B" and "D E" instead?
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by Davisnado
Hey, I have been having issues with TTS pronunciation for a whole blvd in my area. The ramps, the service roads and the main street are all mispronounced. I sent in forms to get these fixed months ago but there is still no response. Causeway Blvd is pronounced erroneously Cause"well" and it should be cause"way" blvd. Here are a few of the segments affected.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 3,20923250

All the segments that are mispronounced

https://www.waze.com/editor/? env=usa&l ... 4,20949915

These are TTS using Jan on Waze
Davisnado
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Davy_Ray
I live in Quebec and often we have streets with directions like east/west, but here it is spelled est/ouest. it pronounces the ouest as west which is fine, but it pronounces est as "Estate".

Something to eventually fix i assume
Davy_Ray
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
GizmoGuy411 wrote: Penn for Pennsylvania was moved from the main list to the State abbreviation list where it belongs
Penn => Pennsylvania belongs on the list to be deleted.
GizmoGuy411 wrote: Camino=Cam
This is another conflict. You cannot use a combination of letters of a real word as an abbreviation for another word. If you want to do that, you'll have to include the period or something which makes it distinct. See Penn => Pennsylvania above.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
In case this is a poll, I vote for "Forest Service". It doesn't seem strange or confusing to me, certainly not as strange as "Turn right onto Old William Pennsylvania Highway" or "Turn left onto Tee 800".

People who aren't familiar with these "roads" should have think about it before turning onto one.

Many of the roads have a normal name ending in "Trl" which is what will be pronounced in most cases. FS-nnxnn should be used to generate a shield because the route # is always important.

Let's just suppose that someone is uninitiated, lost, and confused. What's the difference between "Turn right onto [unintelligible] road 123" and "Turn right onto [unintelligible] 123"?

Half the time, I don't know what Waze is saying anyway. When it says turn, either I see the road and I turn, or I glance at the map to see where Waze thinks I should turn.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
qwaletee wrote:To me, there is. When you hear the word road, you have better mental context.
Is this in contrast to the mental context you have when Waze tells you to turn onto a river, railroad, boardwalk, or runway?

When Waze says, "Turn left on Broadway", I don't wonder whether that means to enter stage left or stage right. I know that it means a street not a theater.

Lots of roads don't have "road" in the name. The point is that regardless of whether Waze says, "State route 99", "C A 99", "California 99", "Highway 99", "State Highway 99", "The 99", or plain "99", the driver should understand it in context.

"Forest Service" is going to be a trail in that context. There are a finite number of turn instructions that Waze gives. I dare say that all are in the context of being on a road.
qwaletee wrote:And when you're already nervous because you aren't sure where you're going, ...
I admit to not knowing what you mean by this. But that is the wrong mental state for operating a motor vehicle at all. Such a person needs to pull over safely somewhere and park. Review the route. Be familiar with the names ahead and the turns to be made. Do whatever it takes to remove the uncertainty. It is so easy with Waze to drag the map to see what is ahead. The turn instruction text is prominently displayed on the screen.

And above all, if Waze tries to route you across a FS-nnxnn road and you don't know what it is, select fastest route or drive somewhere else first. You probably shouldn't be on such a road if it wasn't your intended destination.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
davielde wrote:
sketch wrote:Unless that state's DOT is particularly sadistic, there aren't going to be three roads with the same number at that intersection.
So...close...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... notI68.jpg

On I-70 W before Clear Spring, MD, that there is a disambiguation sign clarifying that the exit is for MD-68, so to get to I-68 / National Freeway, remain on I-70.

I-68 is a newer freeway (thanks to the late Sen Byrd). The MD-68 number greatly predates the designation of I-68 in 1991.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Last edited by dbraughlr on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:59 am, edited 3 times in total.