Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Operational gas stations in New York/New Jersey State

Post by TiredTracks
It would be great if Wazers living in New York could use this thread to let others know of gas stations that are operational. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find them. If your posts could state the names of the towns, that would allow those searching to simply go straight to your postings for the pertinent info.
As for me personally, if anyone knows of any between the Tappan Zee bridge and Harriman turn-off on the I-87, please let me know.

Thank you all in advance!

Travel Safe!
TiredTracks

POSTER_ID:11205370

Send a message

Post by alexwgogogo
I've been thinking of this problem too - perhaps we can utilize the built-in gas pricing feature to find a solution. If you pass a gas station that is closed, enter "$0.00" as the price. Then, people will know the station has no gas. If a real price is entered, then you know there is gas. How often do the stations pricing get updated? How many wazers need to enter in a price before the new one sticks? Most prices I've seen in NYC seem several days old, and those stations are well out of gas.

Alex
Brooklyn, NY
alexwgogogo
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
This morning I saw several gas stations with baloons on them (starting in New Haven, CT and heading south along I-95 towards NY)... When I clicked on them they opened up with a Business Name (not a Brand) and said Open, NJ in them...

When I passed Bridgeport, CT I got a pop us that said "NJ Wazers need your help..." with info about the chit-chat plan... So when I got where I was going (Service Plaza on I-95 in Fairfield, CT) I put up one about being open for gas (both North & Southbound) - since the Darien Service Plaza is closed for renovations, this is the closest Service Plaza to the NY border.

I did take a gripe with the "NJ Wazers need your help" headline... It's not just the NJ Wazers that need help, it's NY Wazers too (and some CT Wazers as well)... There were cabs out of Manhattan driving to Fairfield to fuel up this morning...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by balfour_75
We should all do what we can to help the Waze community. The link to Gas Buddy is certainly a help.
However, if the information is more than an hour old, the station is probably shut.

Real time Chat is probably the best way to go.
balfour_75
Send a message

dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by DuckynCindy
I, too, was thinking Waze would be our best resource for open and supplied gas stations in NY/NJ. I am reaching out to the Waze operators. It's becoming critical here in central NJ, as I am sure it is in your area too. We are Jersey Strong and New York Tough! Best of Luck My Friends!
DuckynCindy
Send a message

Post by TiredTracks
Thanks for the replies folks! I sincerely hope your weekend gas woes were not too serious.

For my own question of operational gas stations between Tappan Zee and Monroe, it's a sure bet that the Sloatsburg Plaza on the I-87 will always at least have regular to offer - i was assured this by a Sunoco representative.

As far as showing which gas stations have gas and which don't, I find that simply selecting Not Offered (N/A) for gas stations out of whichever fuel grades, should be sufficient. As for how long it takes to update with new information etc ... i have no idea. I did notice that some gas stations which were out were marked down as N/A and that worked well for me.

Hope this helps.

Travel safe!
TiredTracks
Send a message

Post by TiredTracks
dmcconachie wrote:I presume you've seen http://www.waze.com/blog/update-east-co ... shortages/
No but i have now, thank you. :D

Travel safe!
TiredTracks
Send a message

Post by TiredTracks
TyShoes wrote:We should all do what we can to help the Waze community. The link to Gas Buddy is certainly a help.
However, if the information is more than an hour old, the station is probably shut.

Real time Chat is probably the best way to go.
Agreed. I can tell you it's proved invaluable for me.

Travel safe!
TiredTracks
Send a message