Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
vickimachado wrote:Dumb question, perhaps: What's the utility of the Area Managers layer? Mine seems to just be a layer of green, watermarked with a user name I don't recognize.
Check the manual: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... a_Managers
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CJF2124 wrote:My only comment is that my Area Manager status appears to have disappeared with this editor upgrade
Permissions have not changed, but rank and cones are now synchronized. Please see the first post and note that "rank" <> "cones" in the previous editor version. Now, they are the same.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
ronnyromero wrote:how about a map editor native app for ipad...then we could add more stuff on the road
There is someone outside of Waze who is looking into a major front-end change specific to mobile/touchscreen devices to allow this. It is a major project though, as you have to override the idea of click-and-drag for scrolling, etc. Don't hold your breath for anything anytime soon. Big project.

Maybe it would be released as a cheap app to honor the development time spent on it... That's just me talking. It's never been discussed directly.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
daknife wrote:Agreed but with the final death of Cartouche there is now no ability at all to edit that data. Even if incorrect, it's locked in without an ability to edit it.
Um, no. :?

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... e_selected
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
davipt wrote:So waze please tell me the nickname of the reporter!!!
This is being looked into by management. Right now, the TOS/Privacy Policy doesn't allow it. It may be as easy as modifying that, but we're not sure.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
davipt wrote:The legal boilerplate should the same - the privacy applied to police/accident/etc reports visible on the client map should be the same as the privacy of a user report on the editor, or am I missing something?
I haven't read it recently, but before v3.5, there was no "invisible" mode, but there was the no-login mode giving you a usa_ or world_ username. The legalese I believe gave more privacy rights to the user regardless of submitting requests and what not. Waze just needs to make sure they have the right language to avoid lawsuits. Some users have been vocally pissed about their data being captured and stored. In fact, the reason the username was removed from URs was, I believe, because of an outcry.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
daknife wrote:
rleejr79 wrote:
skbun wrote:
It would really be nice if the behavior was that primary AND alt names should be scanned for something that generates a shield...
+1
And another +1
The local name should have precedence and be on the primary, with the shield being pulled from the alternate while the primary name is shown.
We don't know how the new method will or will not generate shields, or whether alternate names will also be displayed. A lot of unknowns.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
rleejr79 wrote:1.) I understand the the alt name feature works. Do I have to delete and reassign alt name every time? I am unable to edit the alt name as is. Yes, I have permission and I was last to lock it. (Highlighted it in red on left)
Yes, because each of the city/street name pairs are part of the street table (not the segment table), they must be either added or deleted, but not modified. If you modified the street name directly, that would change every segment which referred to that object in the street database, which would likely have significant unintended consequences. (Segments are "sub-objects" of streets.)
rleejr79 wrote:2.) Is the highlighted segment supposed to be to the side of the visual location of the road? If so, that is going to take some time to get used to. (Scroll right to see red arrow pointing to what I mean)
There is likely a script active which is causing that, or browser zoom level is not 100%. I've also noted the bug to developers that selecting Drives will also shift the road objects compared to the image location.
rleejr79 wrote:4.) Is Waze going to implement their own search result as per the ability to enter house numbers or is it still going to use the search provider?
I addressed this in another thread. Yes and no. Depends on country, and depends on whether they even stick with the sequential numbering thing. Many countries do not use sequential numbering and so this feature of Waze is useless.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
stevecody wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:So waze please tell me the nickname of the reporter!!!
This is being looked into by management. Right now, the TOS/Privacy Policy doesn't allow it. It may be as easy as modifying that, but we're not sure.
I don't care to know who the person is but I would LOVE to be able to simply send them a message, as in Cartouche.
Right there with ya! The email contains your username and a link to the forum, so if they are motivated, they can contact you.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
xtago wrote:would it have numbering across the whole street/segments or just incomplete numbering for the end segments?
No. You need to enter the range of numbers by individual segment.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message