Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Brooksy73 wrote:Is it possible to add a shortcut to edit street name. Its click on the segment, then click on edit, then on the check box, then it allows you to edit the street name!
Possibly, but you'd have to override/overload the onclick functionality. Unsure how easy that is. Instead of clicking the Edit button, just tap 'e' on the keyboard, which you can do while you are moving your mouse towards the street name field.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
anonymous0816 wrote:Well. German keyboard layout would also require a double-shift.
Please fix this. Either make it "?"-only or "Shift+h" for example for "help".

2nd: This function is not mentioned in the wiki.
Which function isn't mentioned in the wiki? German keyboard layout activator for the help window?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mike-bronner wrote:Quick question on keyboard shortcuts: is there a way to insert a junction on an existing segment? The shortcut help screen doesn't seem to think so.
It's in the documentation: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... _a_segment.

Cartouche had a "add junction" function. You had to click the function, then click the location you wanted it. Then wait for 20s for it to split the segments, save and refresh. WME is faster. I often drag an existing segment over to do the split, drag it back.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mssusa wrote:From Waze biweekly 5/11/2012 ( http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 30#p281430) : the new editor has support for chatting with other editors online and offline. Any ideas?
It says they are "adding" it, not that it has been added. It appeared in a previous beta many months ago as a layer called "Other users" which was documented for many months in the wiki. At that time, all we could do was see other editors on the map as the "hardhat Wazer" icon. You could see their zoom level as a grayed circle, and when they were actively editing/saving, their icon would shade red. There was no ability to chat or interact or even know who it was.

Since then, they have continued to develop this feature, but have not yet deployed it for beta testing. It's considered to be in "alpha" testing IMO.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It appears that the "duplicate segments created on long road creation" issue (http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16200) has been resolved. Could someone else confirm?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The "Reverse connectivity is enabled when one-way roads are split" appears to be resolved. (Yeah, I'm going through the known issues list.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
skbun wrote:An alternate name street must also have the same city as the primary segment. (My emphasis added)

This may be a best practice, but it's not enforced by WME. Here's some bullet points of what's possible.
Yes, there are lots of things which we have as guidelines/best practices which the editor does not enforce. This is one of them.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
skbun wrote:Agh, I realize how this might have sounded now, as you were the one who wrote that portion of the Wiki! Trust me when I say, sorry! :oops:

I agree wholeheartedly with you that primary and alt must match is the way to go. I'm pointing out the details to Waze so it could be fixed, because this mismatch problem can be really hard to find with our existing tools, and it -does- cause real problems we have to edit out.
I wasn't taking any offense at this, be assured! I requested that they develop the editor to enforce this as it's really the only way that makes sense. What makes even less sense with the current implementation, is that if the road is a highway or freeway type, they default the city to None. :x
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
invented wrote:I just don't get why the City field even appears in Alternate as a separate option then. I thought it was to select different alt names for the different cities the road travels through, as all the segments I'm finding with this already filled out have different city names than the primary.
Because every street in the database, which is where segments get their properties, has an associated city. That street could be empty, but then that is a different streetId than the same street with any other city name. All distinct. But we should be forced to have any new alt names be the same city as primary. When the primary changes city, though, there is no code or check to adjust alternates at the same time. Future features I hope.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
invented wrote:Annoyingly now, when you start typing a street/city name and it starts matching something else in the "help" list that pops down below, it selects the first entry in the list when you hit tab. This didn't happen before.
This is normal behavior for auto-fill functionality. Tab or Enter typically select the currently highlighted item.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message