Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby dmcconachie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:36 pm

enhket wrote:looks promising!! kinda slow, but i guess it will get better :ugeek:

ps: the old editor should still be available for new editors, im afraid this one may be hard to understand for newcomers

Why? Then they have to learn twice. Best just learn on the new version which is fairly intuitive.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:38 pm

enhket wrote:ps: the old editor should still be available for new editors, im afraid this one may be hard to understand for newcomers
That's what the sandbox feature is for - just don't be logged in when you access the editor and you can learn without actually changing anything...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby lakeyboy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:38 pm

Liking the new version so far, except that editing roads with long names is now more frustrating. Only about 13-15 characters can be seen in the road name field, which is far too few, which means I have to click and drag over text to see/edit the name. Please make the box longer / text smaller or make the whole left panel adjustable (increase info area whilst decreasing map area). Thanks.
ImageImageImageImage
Proud Melburnian and Australian Country Manager.
Map edits: 273,200+ | Distance travelled: 55,120km+ | Reports made: 1780+
Waze Australia Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WazeAustralia
lakeyboy
Australia Waze Champs
Australia Waze Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Mycrophage wrote:Is anyone, in any country knowing how does the Alt. Names works ?

Right now, it is of no use. But, for those who do have streets which go by multiple names, it is nice to have the data be totally correct.

I use it because often, highways or routes overlap. The primary name is used for the name most used, and alt name is where other names or routes are input. In my state of the US, all highways are named, and those usually have a route #, but not always.

Also, the primary name is used for shield creation, but alternate names can hold a local name if the route name is the most popular local name.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:45 pm

vickimachado wrote:Dumb question, perhaps: What's the utility of the Area Managers layer? Mine seems to just be a layer of green, watermarked with a user name I don't recognize.

Check the manual: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... a_Managers
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:46 pm

CJF2124 wrote:My only comment is that my Area Manager status appears to have disappeared with this editor upgrade

Permissions have not changed, but rank and cones are now synchronized. Please see the first post and note that "rank" <> "cones" in the previous editor version. Now, they are the same.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ronnyromero » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:51 pm

how about a map editor native app for ipad...then we could add more stuff on the road
ronnyromero

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 pm

ronnyromero wrote:how about a map editor native app for ipad...then we could add more stuff on the road

There is someone outside of Waze who is looking into a major front-end change specific to mobile/touchscreen devices to allow this. It is a major project though, as you have to override the idea of click-and-drag for scrolling, etc. Don't hold your breath for anything anytime soon. Big project.

Maybe it would be released as a cheap app to honor the development time spent on it... That's just me talking. It's never been discussed directly.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Daknife » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:02 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Mycrophage wrote:Is anyone, in any country knowing how does the Alt. Names works ?

Right now, it is of no use. But, for those who do have streets which go by multiple names, it is nice to have the data be totally correct.

I use it because often, highways or routes overlap. The primary name is used for the name most used, and alt name is where other names or routes are input. In my state of the US, all highways are named, and those usually have a route #, but not always.

Also, the primary name is used for shield creation, but alternate names can hold a local name if the route name is the most popular local name.

Agreed but with the final death of Cartouche there is now no ability at all to edit that data. Even if incorrect, it's locked in without an ability to edit it. I'd love to adjust what's in a lot of highway segments now that shields are working, to be able to use the local or official "name" on a road and put the Hwy designation number in the alternate. I occasionally took the effort to load up cartouche and add the alternate designations but as I wasn't sure how well it was really working I hadn't made much of an effort to do so. Now should we want to we can't. My opinion, cartouche shouldn't have been killed (perhaps locked to CM status editors) until that feature was available in the WME. And any remaining level 6 locks will be much slower to get unlocked as we could do that in cartouche.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:11 pm

daknife wrote:Agreed but with the final death of Cartouche there is now no ability at all to edit that data. Even if incorrect, it's locked in without an ability to edit it.

Um, no. :?

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... e_selected
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor