The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by kentsmith9
ispyisail, it looks like your example landmark area is too small. I think it is not fully including all the 4 streets you want to select. Try again with a slightly larger area to ensure you fully enclose all the segments you want.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Just started testing this tool (very carefully on small areas). I think I have the general idea, but my focus was to use the tool to fix neighborhood street direction problems.

I keep running into entire neighborhoods with many streets marked as unknown or one-way when it is all two way streets with no turn restrictions. I have confirmed this with many field trips as well. Currently I use the CTRL-click (or "M") to additive select the roads and then do a global edit to update them to two-way. Then I use the Shift-A sequence to display all the turn restrictions (up to a zoom level of 500ft) and then one by one select each intersection to use "W" to mark all turns OK. Very painstaking and yes you have to be careful so you don't enable turns across medians that you don't see if zoomed out too far.

I ran into a problem using the tool in the following procedure:

1. Create a landmark around the street segments you want to make two-way.
1a. Do not have the screen zoomed out more than 500 ft when you create the area. It will not properly select the roads.
2. Hit the "Select in landmark" button from the Extended Tool.
2a. If you do not see all full segments become highlighted, sometimes you have to hit Select in landmark twice if you had a segment already selected inside the landmark.
3. In the standard editor Properties box for the roads, the Direction field is likely blank since you have a mix of road directions. Select two-way. You can also select the other fields (Road Type and Level) not available in the Extended Tool Edit Properties.
4. Next is where I run into problems.
4a. If I save changes, it locks up trying to save changes forever. I have to reload the screen and lose changes.
4b. If I simply try to select the landmark area to remove it before I save changes, my street changes do not take effect.
4c. The solution I found is after I select the road direction I CTRL-click a segment not currently selected. That seems to lock in the changes to the other segments.
5. I then must select and delete my landmark before I save changes or it locks up indefinitely.

6. I also found that I cannot use the Allow all connections option "W" after I save changes above until I reload the page. Again not sure if this is a new issue or always existed, but after I reload the page all works fine until I use the above procedure again.

I am using Tools 1.4.4 on Chrome 19.0.1084.52 on Windows Vista (still). Maybe this is a bug in the latest release? I have no prior experience using the tool before this version. Either way the workaround seems to work and prevents you from saving the temporary bogus area. ;)

Also the Wiki for the Extended Tools does not say if you can control Turn Restrictions. I assume since this tool is only able to perform what you can do in the web interface, then since you cannot select more than one intersection at a time you cannot enable all turns for an area of roads. Or did I miss something?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I assume all of the other streets are not already correctly named. ;)

So far I found the following things will help select everything enclosed in the area. These do not always fix the issue, but I seem to run into them based on some combinations of steps I must have done before.
1. Make sure to save all changes before creating the new landmark.
2. Don't have anything selected before you create the landmark.
3. Sometimes you need to hit "Select in landmark" twice (or more?).
4. If you previously created a landmark and made changes, you may need to refresh your browser screen.

I have not spent much time yet editing the street names to know if these also affect the Extended Tool Edit properties changes, but they certainly have an effect on the regular Properties edit box.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Also have you tried using the Segment List option to highlight the streets without the proper city name? I have not spent much time with that, but after a few minutes messing with it I can see how it will enhance my street selection I described above and see for sure what streets I am changing to 2-way rather than setting everything in the area.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
It is at the top of the Extended Tool button list. When you select it you you see a window with a list of all segments on your screen (and slightly beyond from what I can tell) based on your zoom level. You have three options on that screen

1) Choose columns - select which database elements of all the segments you want to display/sort on.
2) All - See the list of all segments in your view.
3) Selection - Display only those segments inside the selected Landmark area.

If you have the column called "Select" turned on from Choose columns, then when you press the number in that column (press it multiple times to select/deselect it), it highlights/selects all the segments that meet that criteria for that line. Using this feature you can select the names of roads that show a city with the incorrect name. Technically what you are doing is the same principal, but maybe this will work better.

Once the segments are selected on your screen, you can do the same things you do as if you used CTRL-click to select multiple segments.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Something I am noticing, the standard Properties edit window will not properly update when you switch between different segments in the Segment list table. If you select "nothing" on the map the Properties window goes blank and then when you select something different in the Segment list window it shows the proper list of segments that you just selected. I suppose this could also affect some of the other features in the same way and may explain why you are only seeing one road getting updated even when you use the Extended Tools buttons.

Also, once you edit a group of segments, the Segment list does not update until after you reload the page. I assume if you zoom in and back out that might also do it.

Although currently after 30 minutes of tests, I don't think I got the Edit properties option to let me change the name of the city. The permalink is https://www.waze.com/editor/?id=&countr ... ts=5635556 . Testing continues...
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
After a multitude of tests I can only surmise there is a problem in the WME Ext Tools V1.4.4 with Chrome 19.0.1084.52 currently that is causing inconsistent behavior when using the Segment List to select roads and make edits that do not show problems when using the map to select the same roads manually and perform the same property edits.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
mapcat wrote:I couldn't get the segment list to come up when I tried it in Chrome. It did select some one-way segments, but not all.
Someone earlier noted that the FF version is working much more predictably than Chrome. I confirmed that with the latest FF version 12 and the latest Extended Tools (many problems with Chrome and no significant ones with FF).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
foxitrot wrote:The enlarged editing area is an excellent goodie. There is just one issue with the Full screen enlargement.
For those who did not notice (I missed this for a while), once you enable Full Screen mode there is a new button with a yellow wrench next to the Find button that gives you access to the WME Ext Tools including the ability to return to a standard screen.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
foxitrot wrote:"Segment list": it is not possible to sort according to the first (i.e. the leftmost) column (it actually never was, IIRC), other text columns sort correctly.

If I change the column order (using "Choose displayed columns"), again the new leftmost column does not allow to sort the list, other columns work fine.
Funny thing for me I recently noticed none of the columns will sort any more. Might be one of the other scripts. I have not root-caused it yet, but wanted to make the note in case others have seen a change recently.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message