Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:43 pm

mike-bronner wrote:Quick question on keyboard shortcuts: is there a way to insert a junction on an existing segment? The shortcut help screen doesn't seem to think so.

It's in the documentation: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... _a_segment.

Cartouche had a "add junction" function. You had to click the function, then click the location you wanted it. Then wait for 20s for it to split the segments, save and refresh. WME is faster. I often drag an existing segment over to do the split, drag it back.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mike-bronner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks Alan, I was doing a search for "insert junction", that's why I didn't find that paragraph. :)
mike-bronner

Postby argus-cronos » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:37 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
anonymous0816 wrote:Well. German keyboard layout would also require a double-shift.
Please fix this. Either make it "?"-only or "Shift+h" for example for "help".

2nd: This function is not mentioned in the wiki.

Which function isn't mentioned in the wiki? German keyboard layout activator for the help window?

*lol*

In Austria they use shift+#
argus-cronos
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ultragreg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:47 pm

(Edit : I did not want to write this post in this section, I wanted top put it on the 3.5 feedback section. Sorry for the mistake.)

I would like to report a problem which was already present with the last version.
Sometimes we have a "turn left" or "turn right" instruction, when there is no other way to go... (minimal mode)
If there is other way, they are forbiden.

Example :
https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=1.33 ... s=62075349
GPS says 'turn left' when you go to point A to B. No instruction will be better.
This example does not happened before 3.5.

With some Y roads, there is also the problem, example before or after a roundabout. The logical is to go straight. A 150° turn is not possible... (and turn is already forbidden on the map)

Other example, but I have tried to edit the road to don't have the instruction (and waiting an update to see the results)
https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=1.34 ... 6,62080099
B to A : we have currently a 'turn right' instruction, which has no meaning in this case. The complete instruction is : stay left, then turn right.

(I have instructions in french, so I translate into what I think it is in english)
Last edited by ultragreg on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
L3 - Ouest Toulouse
Xperia Z2
ultragreg
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby mssusa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:49 pm

From Waze biweekly 5/11/2012 ( viewtopic.php?p=281430#p281430) : the new editor has support for chatting with other editors online and offline. Any ideas?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:56 pm

mssusa wrote:From Waze biweekly 5/11/2012 ( viewtopic.php?p=281430#p281430) : the new editor has support for chatting with other editors online and offline. Any ideas?

It says they are "adding" it, not that it has been added. It appeared in a previous beta many months ago as a layer called "Other users" which was documented for many months in the wiki. At that time, all we could do was see other editors on the map as the "hardhat Wazer" icon. You could see their zoom level as a grayed circle, and when they were actively editing/saving, their icon would shade red. There was no ability to chat or interact or even know who it was.

Since then, they have continued to develop this feature, but have not yet deployed it for beta testing. It's considered to be in "alpha" testing IMO.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:58 pm

It appears that the "duplicate segments created on long road creation" issue (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16200) has been resolved. Could someone else confirm?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:00 pm

The "Reverse connectivity is enabled when one-way roads are split" appears to be resolved. (Yeah, I'm going through the known issues list.)
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby mssusa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:39 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It says they are "adding" it, not that it has been added. It appeared in a previous beta many months ago as a layer called "Other users" which was documented for many months in the wiki. At that time, all we could do was see other editors on the map as the "hardhat Wazer" icon. You could see their zoom level as a grayed circle, and when they were actively editing/saving, their icon would shade red. There was no ability to chat or interact or even know who it was.

Since then, they have continued to develop this feature, but have not yet deployed it for beta testing. It's considered to be in "alpha" testing IMO.

It sounded like they are talking about this version, but thanks anyway. It is not like it'll be of any use to me; I'm the only one editing within at least 400km in each direction :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 pm

ultragreg wrote:Sometimes we have a "turn left" or "turn right" instruction, when there is no other way to go...
Example :
https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=1.33 ... s=62075349
GPS says 'turn left' when you go to point A to B. No instruction will be better.
This example does not happened before 3.5.

This should be discussed somewhere else, but I've seen similar stuff happening some days after the last international mapdate so this kind of instructions may be corrected by editing the map, but others may be a change on the backends.

To keep on-topic, it would be nice to have a feature on the editor where we could select two points and it would tell us the instructions between those points, according to the new map design, so we could preview the edited map and fix it until getting the right instruction instead of waiting months until getting it correct - sometimes it's hard to make the right angle to get nothing, keep or turn instructions. It would be enough to support a single instruction, but it would also need to support picking one segment before and after a roundabout to see the "take the nth" or "turn left/right".

For your case I'd just decrease the angle to less than 45º and the message would go away. See screenshot.
Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 6.31.12 PM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 6.31.12 PM copy.jpg (16.82 KiB) Viewed 622 times

ultragreg wrote:With some Y roads, there is also the problem, example before or after a roundabout. The logical is to go straight. A 150° turn is not possible... (and turn is already forbidden on the map)

I personally kill all those Y/triangles before and after a roundabout, they are worthless and just causes problem. Here in Portugal most roundabouts are just perpendicular crosses with a roundabout in the middle so I've been redoing them all by deleting them, connecting the 4 segments in a cross, and redrawing the roundabout over it, locking the roundabout, qw'ing all nodes and after a mapdate, the roundabout will tell me "straight ahead/turn left/turn right" instead of "take the 1st/2nd/3rd exit".
I also try hard to keep single segments instead of two parallel segments when they are not needed, or else they tend to switch from unidirectional to bidirectional and then start telling me "keep right" when arriving at the split. The simpler the better, adjust the map for the instructions and the gps lines, never for satellite images.

ultragreg wrote:Other example, but I have tried to edit the road to don't have the instruction (and waiting an update to see the results)
https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=1.34 ... 6,62080099
B to A : we have currently a 'turn right' instruction, which has no meaning in this case. The complete instruction is : stay left, then turn right.

On these ones I make the left exit a ramp, because with two primary streets there is a chance that going straight ahead will tell you "keep right". On the other hand, on these particular cases I'd rather just get the "keep left" and avoid the "turn left" at the end, because as soon as you enter the left lane, there is nowhere else to go. Here's an example where it only tells me "keep left".

Now probably related to the extra instructions, I have some cases where everything was perfect when the mapdate happened, and then some days after that some additional instructions started on the client, and there was no mapdate, no new client, so it must have been something changed on the backends. And now I have no idea what else to edit to fix them!

For example, on this one livemap, going north->south, I get a "keep right" that should not happen. Before the mapdate there was no node to keep the line straight, so indeed it was an expected instruction before the update, but I got it fixed and it was working for some days.
Another example is this one livemap where it was also working, and now it tells me twice "turn left".
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor