Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

City names in alt names not checked at save

Postby skbun » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:20 pm

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Editor_Interface_and_Controls#Segment_Edit_Detail:

An alternate name street must also have the same city as the primary segment. (My emphasis added)

This may be a best practice, but it's not enforced by WME. Here's some bullet points of what's possible:

(When you click a segment, it has either a City (CityID) or (None), and a state as its primary, as we know.)
* If the primary segment has 'None' for a city, clicking 'alternate name' will put in a City field with 'None' checked, but you can uncheck it. This means alt can have a city even if the primary does not.
* If the box is unchecked, the suggested added city is the same as the primary segment, but the field is editable. You can change it to anything you like, including:
- A city name that doesn't exist in your state, which creates a new CityID (includes misspells)
- A city way way far away from where you are - a condition that's caught by checking the primary segment, but alt segments aren't checked (i.e, I could add an alt segment in Grand Coulee, WA to one in Burien, WA, and confirmed it has the same CityID with Timbones's highlight script)

Implicitly, the state and country of the segment you are working on is added to the alt text when you add that alt text. I suspect that if you live in an area where an irrational state or country is present (smudging), and add an alt text with that bad default in place, you'll add a city/state/country matching that bad data in the alt. You then MAY get an error when you try to save (primary segment is checked of course), but I'd bet money the alt text still has the bad CityID even if you fix the primary and save.

Research shows me that Timbones's highlighting script knows to 'get cities' with bad alt text, because it's a general 'show me all the cities in this area' query. However, it does not check alt properties, so if an alt text is smudging a city/state/country, that tool can't find it.

On that subject, there already exist segments with these properties; have a look at https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat=47.47196&lon=-122.31685&layers=BTTFFTTTFTTFTFFTFTTTTFT&segments=54594585, segment 54594585.

Primary: Des Moines Way S, Burien, Washington, United States
Alt: Des Moines Memorial Dr, SeaTac
Alt2: Des Moines Way S, SeaTac

Since this was created in 2009 and last edited in February 2012, I must presume that this kind of 'bad city/state/country alt bounds checking' existed in Cartouche as it does here. We may need to be checking alt segment city, state, and country names for smudging, and I'm not even sure how we can do that at this point. Can Waze Colour Highlighting and WME Extended Tools be modified to check for these things?

Well, the thrust of this whole huge paragraph is, the javascript making alt street names in the first place has to lock down city to match exactly what the primary segment has. If the CityIDs don't match at save time, error out. We've got countless mismatches already, but now that we're down to one editor, at least we can stop more of them from showing up! Once that bounds checking is in place, It may also be worth Waze scrubbing all segments to make any alt CityID match the primary in that segment. It would save us countless hours of work.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Re: City names in alt names not checked at save

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:24 pm

skbun wrote:An alternate name street must also have the same city as the primary segment. (My emphasis added)

This may be a best practice, but it's not enforced by WME. Here's some bullet points of what's possible.

Yes, there are lots of things which we have as guidelines/best practices which the editor does not enforce. This is one of them.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:53 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
skbun wrote:An alternate name street must also have the same city as the primary segment. (My emphasis added)

This may be a best practice, but it's not enforced by WME. Here's some bullet points of what's possible.

Yes, there are lots of things which we have as guidelines/best practices which the editor does not enforce. This is one of them.

Agh, I realize how this might have sounded now, as you were the one who wrote that portion of the Wiki! Trust me when I say, sorry! :oops:

I agree wholeheartedly with you that primary and alt must match is the way to go. I'm pointing out the details to Waze so it could be fixed, because this mismatch problem can be really hard to find with our existing tools, and it -does- cause real problems we have to edit out.

I'm pretty sure, to Waze, It wouldn't really be that hard, either. At 'Apply' time on the Edit Segment dialog, force the CityID of any alt name to be the same as the primary, regardless of what the user did in the meantime. Simple as that?

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:57 pm

skbun wrote:Agh, I realize how this might have sounded now, as you were the one who wrote that portion of the Wiki! Trust me when I say, sorry! :oops:

I agree wholeheartedly with you that primary and alt must match is the way to go. I'm pointing out the details to Waze so it could be fixed, because this mismatch problem can be really hard to find with our existing tools, and it -does- cause real problems we have to edit out.

I wasn't taking any offense at this, be assured! I requested that they develop the editor to enforce this as it's really the only way that makes sense. What makes even less sense with the current implementation, is that if the road is a highway or freeway type, they default the city to None. :x
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby invented » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:06 pm

I just don't get why the City field even appears in Alternate as a separate option then. I thought it was to select different alt names for the different cities the road travels through, as all the segments I'm finding with this already filled out have different city names than the primary.
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented

Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:14 pm

invented wrote:I just don't get why the City field even appears in Alternate as a separate option then. I thought it was to select different alt names for the different cities the road travels through, as all the segments I'm finding with this already filled out have different city names than the primary.

Because every street in the database, which is where segments get their properties, has an associated city. That street could be empty, but then that is a different streetId than the same street with any other city name. All distinct. But we should be forced to have any new alt names be the same city as primary. When the primary changes city, though, there is no code or check to adjust alternates at the same time. Future features I hope.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby invented » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Annoyingly now, when you start typing a street/city name and it starts matching something else in the "help" list that pops down below, it selects the first entry in the list when you hit tab. This didn't happen before.
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:36 pm

invented wrote:Annoyingly now, when you start typing a street/city name and it starts matching something else in the "help" list that pops down below, it selects the first entry in the list when you hit tab. This didn't happen before.

This is normal behavior for auto-fill functionality. Tab or Enter typically select the currently highlighted item.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:18 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
invented wrote:Annoyingly now, when you start typing a street/city name and it starts matching something else in the "help" list that pops down below, it selects the first entry in the list when you hit tab. This didn't happen before.

This is normal behavior for auto-fill functionality. Tab or Enter typically select the currently highlighted item.

"currently highlighted item." <-- this is the problem, the first item is auto-highlighted all the time and it shouldn't. I've given my example before - N8 and N8-1, I can't write N8 anymore because it always changes to N8-1 unless I write N8 and escape and enter really quickly.
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:25 pm

davipt wrote:"currently highlighted item." <-- this is the problem, the first item is auto-highlighted all the time and it shouldn't. I've given my example before - N8 and N8-1, I can't write N8 anymore because it always changes to N8-1 unless I write N8 and escape and enter really quickly.

Hmm. In Chrome, as soon as I enter characters beyond or not matching any items nearby, the auto-fill menu disappears.

For example, I just created a segment and went to name it "US Hwy 26 W" Now, nearby is "US Hwy 26" but without any cardinal direction. As soon as I hit spacebar after "26" the auto-fill of "US Hwy 26" disappeared and didn't interfere.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor