Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:44 pm

As I said, shift-? on european keyboards, even if ? is already shifted, works on Safari Mac and, tested now, on Opera Mac, but *does not* work on Firefox Mac. No idea on Windows, and my colleagues are busy to test on Linux.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 pm

maantje76 wrote:Just logged out, and edits are gone....I thought this has been fixed?

They are probably not gone (I hope). Here it's just slow (again) updating the tiles. Need to zoom in/out a lot to get them up to date. And be very careful to not get into the ghost segments war again. Or just stop editing and go for a coffee ;)
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:42 pm

mike-bronner wrote:Quick question on keyboard shortcuts: is there a way to insert a junction on an existing segment? The shortcut help screen doesn't seem to think so.

"yes". "i", draw a new segment ending at the point you want to split the other one, then delete the new segment ;)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 pm

ultragreg wrote:Sometimes we have a "turn left" or "turn right" instruction, when there is no other way to go...
Example :
https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=1.33 ... s=62075349
GPS says 'turn left' when you go to point A to B. No instruction will be better.
This example does not happened before 3.5.

This should be discussed somewhere else, but I've seen similar stuff happening some days after the last international mapdate so this kind of instructions may be corrected by editing the map, but others may be a change on the backends.

To keep on-topic, it would be nice to have a feature on the editor where we could select two points and it would tell us the instructions between those points, according to the new map design, so we could preview the edited map and fix it until getting the right instruction instead of waiting months until getting it correct - sometimes it's hard to make the right angle to get nothing, keep or turn instructions. It would be enough to support a single instruction, but it would also need to support picking one segment before and after a roundabout to see the "take the nth" or "turn left/right".

For your case I'd just decrease the angle to less than 45º and the message would go away. See screenshot.
Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 6.31.12 PM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 6.31.12 PM copy.jpg (16.82 KiB) Viewed 407 times

ultragreg wrote:With some Y roads, there is also the problem, example before or after a roundabout. The logical is to go straight. A 150° turn is not possible... (and turn is already forbidden on the map)

I personally kill all those Y/triangles before and after a roundabout, they are worthless and just causes problem. Here in Portugal most roundabouts are just perpendicular crosses with a roundabout in the middle so I've been redoing them all by deleting them, connecting the 4 segments in a cross, and redrawing the roundabout over it, locking the roundabout, qw'ing all nodes and after a mapdate, the roundabout will tell me "straight ahead/turn left/turn right" instead of "take the 1st/2nd/3rd exit".
I also try hard to keep single segments instead of two parallel segments when they are not needed, or else they tend to switch from unidirectional to bidirectional and then start telling me "keep right" when arriving at the split. The simpler the better, adjust the map for the instructions and the gps lines, never for satellite images.

ultragreg wrote:Other example, but I have tried to edit the road to don't have the instruction (and waiting an update to see the results)
https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=1.34 ... 6,62080099
B to A : we have currently a 'turn right' instruction, which has no meaning in this case. The complete instruction is : stay left, then turn right.

On these ones I make the left exit a ramp, because with two primary streets there is a chance that going straight ahead will tell you "keep right". On the other hand, on these particular cases I'd rather just get the "keep left" and avoid the "turn left" at the end, because as soon as you enter the left lane, there is nowhere else to go. Here's an example where it only tells me "keep left".

Now probably related to the extra instructions, I have some cases where everything was perfect when the mapdate happened, and then some days after that some additional instructions started on the client, and there was no mapdate, no new client, so it must have been something changed on the backends. And now I have no idea what else to edit to fix them!

For example, on this one livemap, going north->south, I get a "keep right" that should not happen. Before the mapdate there was no node to keep the line straight, so indeed it was an expected instruction before the update, but I got it fixed and it was working for some days.
Another example is this one livemap where it was also working, and now it tells me twice "turn left".
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:18 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
invented wrote:Annoyingly now, when you start typing a street/city name and it starts matching something else in the "help" list that pops down below, it selects the first entry in the list when you hit tab. This didn't happen before.

This is normal behavior for auto-fill functionality. Tab or Enter typically select the currently highlighted item.

"currently highlighted item." <-- this is the problem, the first item is auto-highlighted all the time and it shouldn't. I've given my example before - N8 and N8-1, I can't write N8 anymore because it always changes to N8-1 unless I write N8 and escape and enter really quickly.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:27 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:"currently highlighted item." <-- this is the problem, the first item is auto-highlighted all the time and it shouldn't. I've given my example before - N8 and N8-1, I can't write N8 anymore because it always changes to N8-1 unless I write N8 and escape and enter really quickly.

Hmm. In Chrome, as soon as I enter characters beyond or not matching any items nearby, the auto-fill menu disappears.

For example, I just created a segment and went to name it "US Hwy 26 W" Now, nearby is "US Hwy 26" but without any cardinal direction. As soon as I hit spacebar after "26" the auto-fill of "US Hwy 26" disappeared and didn't interfere.

Sure, the problem is the other way around. Try to set a segment to "US Hwy 26" without the editor saving it as "US Hwy 26 W" by mistake and without using the escape key :P
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:57 pm

wifeypoo wrote:Another thing (...) to click w to enable all turns at the junctions. (...)

Please always do "q" then "w". "w" will only turn reds into greens, but won't turn any possible existing soft greens into hard greens, nor clear up any u-turn old flags. The highlights extension is great to detect the softs and u-turns. I've patched it myself to show *all* u-turns (magenta and red segments) and optionally all soft turns (yellow segments), and honestly I'm not sharing the fix with anyone because the view is scary as hell. It made me already more convinced that drawing whatever is on the satellite images is *bad bad* idea, so no more Y/triangles on roundabouts, no more two parallel segments if less than 10m or there isn't a major reason for that (like a left turn lane in the middle), no more complicated stuff. And lock the roundabouts. I'm going crazy with them. How can a locked roundabout stop being a roundabout, or change a segment from a-b to b-a and stop giving the right instructions. </rant> ;)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:07 pm

japri wrote:I lost my editable region that drove three days ago... when i started using this new map editor.

I have a user here in Portugal that reported the same. He logged in and had 0 points and no permissions to edit anything (and surely was on world.waze.com), but after some hours everything was back ok for him.

Do you see any points and drives on your account?
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:27 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:I have a user here in Portugal that reported the same. He logged in and had 0 points and no permissions to edit anything (and surely was on world.waze.com), but after some hours everything was back ok for him.

Please document areas lost here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31184

In my user's case I don't think it was related to that topic (*), as it was just a temporary glitch where all points and editing areas disappeared.

I've posted this because it may be relevant to the new WME, as I think it might be a case of resilience in case of backend timeout.

For example, when the backend is quite slow and timesout, the XHR call to /Descartes-live/app/Features may return an error but the old WME would say nothing - the "loading roads" would go away but then stuff would be missed, roads, landmarks, depending on the cache and how many timeouts. I don't know about the areas as I'm CM and don't have that layer enabled anymore).

On the new WME I'm seeing something similar happening, and it could be the issue from my friend. I'm seeing a lot the session going away and the new WME tells me nothing (unless I save). I just notice it because when I scroll the map the data is not updated, and notice even more because the highlights script stops highlighting the streets - as there was no response from that XHR call.

So my feeling, to keep this completely ontopic, is that the user was logged in, lost the session, scrolled around, tried to edit stuff and nothing was available. I don't think he tried to logout and login again though. And this is relevant because I've seen myself the case where the map doesn't update, I click refresh and get the login page, then click refresh and am logged in again.

Is the cookie session load balanced and maybe one node is returning an error?

(*) thanks for that link, let me just quickly note that in my case I see the drives becoming unavailable either after one month, or when a mapdate happens, and as the mapdates have been once per month, I can't relate to one case or the other ;)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:47 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:So my feeling, to keep this completely ontopic, is that the user was logged in, lost the session, scrolled around, tried to edit stuff and nothing was available. I don't think he tried to logout and login again though. And this is relevant because I've seen myself the case where the map doesn't update, I click refresh and get the login page, then click refresh and am logged in again.

Is the cookie session load balanced and maybe one node is returning an error?

You may be correct with your conclusion, but I cannot say for sure. If the session is "lost" then it should prompt you to log in again. I have seen this happen. But, if logging out and logging back in resolves it, then that is also good evidence.

It does prompt when one clicks on save. But if the session is lost in the middle of a browsing or editing, nothing popup besides the lack of some details on screen. It may even happen that the call to /Features returns an invalid session or 403 or something, and scrolling the map triggers a new XHR call that succeeds.

I think WME should notice the users if the background call does fail, hopefully not with a popup but with a more discreet sign somewhere. Something kind of like the client that shows on the header the lack of gps or lack of network.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor