Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:05 am

I read all pages and I think I didn't see this mentioned here.

It would be nice to store the "full screen" state on the cookie so a browser page refresh would keep the page as full screen. (where full screen is getting rid of the waze header, the shift-f)
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:38 am

xtago wrote:The dead end roads I've done haven't needed a junction at the dead end and still worked with navigation, you will need the dead end as a 2 way street.

though, if you did want a Junction on the dead end, you would just lay a very small brand new road from or to the dead end side not connected to anything else.

which makes a new junction at the dead end then delete the new road segment and the junction will stay on the dead end side.

I'm not getting this conversation. You are talking about segments where one end is not connected to anything? Are you then talking that it's not enough to just draw a segment from nowhere to the end segment (or the other way around)??? Are you telling me I'll need to go to each unterminated road and create a new segment, delete it and save? :o:o:o

For example here I can see the segment below with a dot in the end, and the segment above without it. Is this what you are talking about? Is the segment above (or the two) broken then?

According to the hightlights script, the two above are lime and the one below is not. So if you confirm this, now I understand what that lime option was about.

Hey waze can't this kind of thing be solved automatically by the backend? There are some fixes like this that a simple algorithm could just solve instead of us loosing hours going segment by segment.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:53 am

xteejx wrote:Best option here is to ignore those people that spout crap thinking they know what things are.
Trust those with proper signatures and/or post counts.

If you create a road from nowhere to the dead end, then delete the new road, it should result in a terminated end (junction node). The reason this is needed is for navigation as waze gets confused if it thinks it's facing towards the dead end, and will give the "proceed to highlighted route" thing. Have also seen it play with TTS (maybe another issue), and starts a route far from your location (again, maybe a local issue).

I'm pretty sure there was previous hot discussions that created this kind of finger pointing, but from what I've read here I would prefer people being more calm and just explaining the things like happened on the last posts, because not everyone knows everything. As I said, even I after one year and 200K map edits had no idea about these unterminated roads - I always wondered why the option on the highlights script - and even after reading this conversation I first assumed it would be a limited number of buggy cases - like the u-turn and reverse stuff - and not for every single road I see on my map.

In other words, if this is not properly communicated to the editors (meaning I'll update our local wiki asap), all existing dead-end basemap or newly created roads will be unterminated unless the editor explicitly does an action that is quite hard to explain (create a road and delete it just for the sake of having a dot at the end).

I now know why a friend of mine was always complaining that his route would always start from a nearby road, or even force him to go up a stairway (the stairway all red arrows, just stopped routing there when we fully disconnected this stairway) - his home road is unterminated!
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am

xtago wrote:
wine4sure wrote:Dead ends need to be terminated in a node otherwise if you start a journey on them you get "proceed to highlighted route". Not sure what happens if you attempt to navigate to an unterminated dead end.

I don't see a problem with that myself, you have to go to the intersection anyway, I don't see what the point is of trying top start the navigation half way through the segment of a dead end road when you need top head towards the junction anyway.

Here is the problem: link.

If my friend leaves home at the rightmost end of "Rua da Portela", which is unterminated, waze always started him from "Rua 18" above, nearby the fake cross with "Rua da Quinta da Fonte". And this is not a case of bad GPS, as we've tried waiting and checking with other apps that he was at the right place and with a low gps error.

I think going back home would take him to his street though, so it may only affect the start point.

So now we know why it failed! thank you!
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:46 pm

dgtlrift wrote:Not sure if this is the right spot, but I believe I have found a bug with the map editor. -DG

permalink?
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:09 pm

and the intl editor is down right now, can't even login :(

update: temporary glitch only, working now!
Last edited by davipt on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:29 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:and the intl editor is down right now, can't even login :(

It's supposed to be isn't it?

Was it announced anywhere? Status mentions 5-6am, it's been working at least since 10am and it's 2pm now ;)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:30 pm

new WME keyboard shortcuts, "[None] Select entire street" WTH is a none?
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:58 pm

mike-bronner wrote:
davipt wrote:new WME keyboard shortcuts, "[None] Select entire street" WTH is a none?

It's the invisible button between ESC and F1 :)

I hope it's not some windows key I haven't on my Mac :lol:
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:12 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:new WME keyboard shortcuts, "[None] Select entire street" WTH is a none?

It means there is no shortcut assigned. (Or were you asking this jokingly?) What other word do you think would make more sense here and be less confusing?

The default is Ctrl+a, per the keyboard shortcuts list in the editor manual which I'm sure you've referenced already. You must have Ctrl+a assigned to something else?

It was a short bug report stating that the new WME "?" help dialogue is not consistent with its own key shortcuts, as it states "ctrl-a" to enable area managers - which is really "shift-a" (*), and "ctrl-a" is indeed used to select all segments, but funnily stated as none.

(*) which is a shame, as we're certainly already hardcoded to use the shift-a to toggle the connectivity arrows, which is now shift-z. I'm still constantly looking at the map and thinking "where are my arrows? and why is everything purple? oh right, z, not a!"

PS: suggestion: could we instead use shift-m to enable "area *M*anagers" and leave the A/shift-A/S keys as before?
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor