Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:53 am

xteejx wrote:Best option here is to ignore those people that spout crap thinking they know what things are.
Trust those with proper signatures and/or post counts.

If you create a road from nowhere to the dead end, then delete the new road, it should result in a terminated end (junction node). The reason this is needed is for navigation as waze gets confused if it thinks it's facing towards the dead end, and will give the "proceed to highlighted route" thing. Have also seen it play with TTS (maybe another issue), and starts a route far from your location (again, maybe a local issue).

I'm pretty sure there was previous hot discussions that created this kind of finger pointing, but from what I've read here I would prefer people being more calm and just explaining the things like happened on the last posts, because not everyone knows everything. As I said, even I after one year and 200K map edits had no idea about these unterminated roads - I always wondered why the option on the highlights script - and even after reading this conversation I first assumed it would be a limited number of buggy cases - like the u-turn and reverse stuff - and not for every single road I see on my map.

In other words, if this is not properly communicated to the editors (meaning I'll update our local wiki asap), all existing dead-end basemap or newly created roads will be unterminated unless the editor explicitly does an action that is quite hard to explain (create a road and delete it just for the sake of having a dot at the end).

I now know why a friend of mine was always complaining that his route would always start from a nearby road, or even force him to go up a stairway (the stairway all red arrows, just stopped routing there when we fully disconnected this stairway) - his home road is unterminated!
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 am

Best option here is to ignore those people that spout crap thinking they know what things are.
Trust those with proper signatures and/or post counts.

If you create a road from nowhere to the dead end, then delete the new road, it should result in a terminated end (junction node). The reason this is needed is for navigation as waze gets confused if it thinks it's facing towards the dead end, and will give the "proceed to highlighted route" thing. Have also seen it play with TTS (maybe another issue), and starts a route far from your location (again, maybe a local issue).

Bottom line, waze navigates from junction to junction. Without these nodes, it gets confused and messes up.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Edit: Kuhl I realise you were the last poster, the first paragraph was not aimed at you or anything ;-) just to avoid confusion here.
floppyrod84

Postby wine4sure » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 am

Dead ends need to be terminated in a node otherwise if you start a journey on them you get "proceed to highlighted route". Not sure what happens if you attempt to navigate to an unterminated dead end.

If you just create a new dead end it will not be terminated in a node. As has been said many people do this (myself included, I just found one yesterday that I created a long time ago). I found an entire city (Bath) like this.
wine4sure

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:24 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I will make sure I disable scripts and try again.

Okay, so I've verified partially. It may be a hardware/software issue. I'm on a unibody MBP and when I click by fully depressing the trackpad so it actually "clicks" then nothing happens. However, if I just tap it, then it works fine. This sounds like an issue with Chrome and the OS/hardware, but not a Waze issue.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:16 am

invented wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Bug: Chrome/Mac: selection of any item in an autofill list cannot be done with the mouse. This can only be done with the keyboard.

???

I can't reproduce this one.

I will make sure I disable scripts and try again.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby invented » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:51 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Bug: Chrome/Mac: selection of any item in an autofill list cannot be done with the mouse. This can only be done with the keyboard.

???

I can't reproduce this one.
invented

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:36 am

Bug: Chrome/Mac: selection of any item in an autofill list cannot be done with the mouse. This can only be done with the keyboard.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:18 am

That's not a bad idea! :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby mike-bronner » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:49 am

One thing that would be handy is to have square ends if there is a junction, and round ends if there is none. -- or something similar.
mike-bronner

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:23 am

xteejx wrote:... the A and B are far too big to see node images....

You should have seen the first rev. :o

I too think they would be best smaller, but given the information trying to be imparted when it comes to being able to more easily explain directionality, as A and B both appear in the drop-down menu now, as well as house numbers, I'm not sure we're as good as it's gonna get.

Unless they do something like Cartouche and have the (A) and (B) be next to/above/near the node ends hovering in space, I don't think they can get any smaller and be quickly readable.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor