Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Need more detailed driving directions

Post by rkylin
I have noted several instances where Waze provides no directions when changing roads. For example, when coming to a T (more like a -/) it doesn't tell you to turn left onto the new street, in fact the next direction is well beyond the intersection. Similarly, I've been on a road, that turns into a freeway onramp. After first turning on the road, the next direction is the exit to get off the freeway. But it never said to get on the freeway.

Perhaps Waze should always provide directions when the name of a road changes?
rkylin

POSTER_ID:10733156

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It doesn't always provide the name as it is situation dependent. There are tens of thousands of 4-way right-angle intersections where both sides are not the same name. Waze doesn't need to give directions there to go perfectly straight. Though sometimes it seems like it would be nice.

Because each intersection is fairly unique, someone would need to take a look at it. There are things we can do to override default behavior and "force" Waze into giving an instruction, though it will always be one of "stay to the left/right", "exit left/right" or "turn left/right." It is all dependent on segment type, name and angles.

If you could provide a link to the intersection in question over in the map editor (use the link in that section appropriate for your country), post it back here and someone can take a look at it. When you post it, add more info about which direction on which street and transitioning to which street, and how you feel Waze should instruct the driver so it's clear what you're after.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
usa_01hzqkdv wrote:This seems to be a frequent issue for me. The instructions tell me to "keep right" and the direction arrow implies a slight jog in the road, but what I should have been shown and told to do is "Turn right". This has already happened a few times times in the few days I've been using Waze, including on long-established roads
This happens when someone has created a dedicated left or right turn lane. Because of the angle of the turn lane meeting the next road, there is no turn instruction given, because that is really more of a "merge" angle, for which Waze gives no instruction.

There are ways around this which involve tweaks to the very end or beginning of the dedicated turn lane to produce a turn instruction.

Example: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-122.7 ... 3,61432649

The left-side right turn lane will give a "stay to the right" whereas the right-side turn lane will give a "turn right."

Contast that with the turn lane after this segment: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-122.7 ... s=63833005

Notice that the turn arrow is a right-angle turn. That's because the turn lane segment has a kink at the beginning. The kink is very small, put in place at a very high zoom level, so it is very short doesn't appear obvious at first.

Last different example: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-122.7 ... s=61507072

The freeway onramp here will give a "stay to the right" due to the first angle, but will also give a "turn right" as you approach the end of the ramp segment, because it ends in a right-angle with the next segment.

Each intersection is unique, so different methods are employed as appropriate. Note also that in many cases, the Waze map doesn't 100% follow the on-the-ground road geometry exactly. This is oftentimes on purpose in order to produce proper turn instructions for legal/safety reasons, as well as one of Waze's top mapping guiding principles: simplicity.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
usa_01hzqkdv wrote:This seems to be a frequent issue for me. The instructions tell me to "keep right" and the direction arrow implies a slight jog in the road, but what I should have been shown and told to do is "Turn right". This has already happened a few times times in the few days I've been using Waze, including on long-established roads
Can you post a Permalink to the intersection?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by usa_01hzqkdv
This seems to be a frequent issue for me. The instructions tell me to "keep right" and the direction arrow implies a slight jog in the road, but what I should have been shown and told to do is "Turn right". This has already happened a few times times in the few days I've been using Waze, including on long-established roads
usa_01hzqkdv
Send a message