Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby cageybear » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:46 am

i guess i am against gps advising me of the speed limit - on the basis that i am supposed to be awake and aware of where I am. I am not a robot.

A while ago I was listening to a police officer on the radio and he reminded the listeners that speed limits are MAXIMUM speed, not TARGETS. Problem is that some people might think that the satnav was telling them the speed they should be doing, rather than what it mustn't exceed.
Calling in from Bracknell in Berkshire
Viewsonic ViewPad 7 powered by Android
cageybear

Postby Daknife » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:39 am

cageybear wrote:i guess i am against gps advising me of the speed limit - on the basis that i am supposed to be awake and aware of where I am. I am not a robot.

A while ago I was listening to a police officer on the radio and he reminded the listeners that speed limits are MAXIMUM speed, not TARGETS. Problem is that some people might think that the satnav was telling them the speed they should be doing, rather than what it mustn't exceed.

That's a weak argument, one that could be made against the peed "suggestion" signs as well.

Particularly if as I suggested Waze were to do like other aps and devices that do track the speed limits and change the color of the speed box to red when you exceed the posted limit. Those services see no legal problems with such a feature and I doubt waze would either.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby OldGnome » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:44 pm

daknife wrote:Particularly if as I suggested Waze were to do like other aps and devices that do track the speed limits and change the color of the speed box to red when you exceed the posted limit.

The last thing I want is yet another piece of software nagging me. I would like to decide when and where and under what circumstances to alert me of my speed. Besides, on my Garmin, the red font on the dark grey background that it uses to display one's speed when traveling faster than the speed limit is extremely difficult to read in the daytime.

When driving on the interstate in Florida, if you aren't driving at least ten miles an hour over the speed limit, you are in danger of getting rear-ended.
OldGnome

Postby Daknife » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:15 am

That's why I quickly voiced against any kind of audio warning. I can ignore a color change if I choose (or more accurately, I'd simply expect it to nearly always be red). If they were to make it do something annoying like flash, or ding or do anything to attract my attention other than simply changing color then yes I too would be against it as I agree with not wanting it nagging me. But it can be quite easy to miss a speed limit sign and thus miss a change, and it would be nice to have a visual indicator as to when I was taking my wallet in my own hand while driving (risk a ticket) for in case I did miss a change in the speed limit.

Here in Utah even the freeways can vary in the speed limit. In metro areas it's 65, in most rural areas it's 75 though there is a stretch of one freeway that is 70, and there are sections in the very rural central and southern parts of the state that are 80. But it's not 80 from one point on, it bounces back and forth between 75 and 80 a few times. We wish they'd just make it all 80 but they haven't yet.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby Daknife » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:03 am

+1
AM in Utah; CM USA
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby gordonski » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:15 am

+2
ImageNo stop signs, speed limitImageNobody's gonna slow me down!Image
Country Manager for Germany, Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte
gordonski
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby WayzNut » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:16 am

I can see the arguments about the accuracy of the posted speed limit and the changes needed in the backend to support this new piece of information. One thing I can see that waze could do easily is to change the color of the speedometer circle (just the outline of the circle) to a different color. Black (same as now) if you are within 10% of the AVERAGE speed of the segment at that day of week/time over the past week or month. Red outline if 10% above the AVERAGE, and yellow if 10% below the AVERAGE speed of the segment. No need for a sound, popup or anything. (although some may like/want it)

This would help people that are unfamiliar with the area to know what the average speed normally is. They would still be responsible to find out the actual speed LIMIT, but at least they will not be going way too slow and get rear ended.

This type of system would not require much of a backend change since waze already has the data and they are not trying to represent a limit, only an average.

Just my thoughts.
Area Manager: Salt Lake/Utah Counties, Utah
WayzNut

Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby BlazeTool » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Speed limit is an instantaneous value (if at any instant you exceed the limit you are speeding, regardless of average speed). Comparing an instantaneous value to an average value is fairly useless, it's comparing apples and oranges.

IMHO giving flawed data is worse than giving no data.
BlazeTool

Postby harling » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:12 pm

ryryryry87 wrote:I don't see why so many people are against crowd-sourcing this information..

Mainly, it's because we already have a pretty good idea how much maintenance the current crowd-sourced data requires, and recognize that adding to that task list leaves fewer resources--Waze employees and volunteers both--available for tasks that are more critical to Waze's success, like making sure the maps are correct and up to date.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby scruffy151 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 pm

WayzNut wrote:I can see the arguments about the accuracy of the posted speed limit and the changes needed in the backend to support this new piece of information. One thing I can see that waze could do easily is to change the color of the speedometer circle (just the outline of the circle) to a different color. Black (same as now) if you are within 10% of the AVERAGE speed of the segment at that day of week/time over the past week or month. Red outline if 10% above the AVERAGE, and yellow if 10% below the AVERAGE speed of the segment. No need for a sound, popup or anything. (although some may like/want it)

I think that a similar thing would be more in keeping with waze's strategy than worrying about the actual speed limit. The difference I would suggest is to color code the same as traffic reports. So if you are significantly slower the speedometer would turn red, a little slower it would turn yellow, near or exceeding the average would be black/no color.
scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General