Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Moderator: Unholy

Postby iahim » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:52 pm

My point was that Waze could do something to help the drivers with the data it already has. Seeing a red speedometer would make you slow down and look for a real speed limit sign on the road. I'm 100% against displaying a speed limit on the screen because it could be incorrect. It's just impossible to keep up with all the speed limit changes, especially temporary changes during road work.
iahim

Postby iahim » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 pm

gettingthere wrote:
fvwazing wrote:BIG NO! I disabled this on every gps I used so far - not because I speed all the time, but because the continuous false alarms this feature gave. Of every map, speed seems to be the first part that is outdated. Housenumbers is less work than this - housenumbers tend to stay over the years. Speeds tend not to.

Given that all the big map-providers have a lot of problems doing this right I am very sceptic that Waze can do this by means of importing, regulary, of updated speeds from a mystical, all-knowing source of speeds. Waze may get some data from some source and then rely on the crowd to set and keep it right.

I agree that this is a major undertaking to keep updated with minimal benefit. But Waze seems to think otherwise.

If I understand correctly, for each road, Waze keeps a record of the the average hourly speed. They could use the maximum hourly average to estimate the speed limit. Based on that, like somebody suggested a few weeks ago in a post, change the color of the speedometer to let you know that you may be above the speed limit (green if you're at or bellow the speed limit, yellow for 10% above, etc.) That's less likely to create problems than displaying an incorrect speed limit on the screen.
iahim

Re: Show speed limits om roads you drive.

Postby harling » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:04 pm

gettingthere wrote:So if you are sitting at home with WME editor open and the built in functions how are you to determine what a speed limit is for a road segment, where is begins and where it ends? Remember the example where the sigh is knocked down (ie Street View and similar of no value).

Does your area have some government published speed limit data that can be referenced?

I think the working assumption is that the speed limit data would be entirely crowdsourced from drivers on location, requiring no attention from Area Managers. (Whether that is tenable is another question.)
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Re: Show speed limits on roads you drive.

Postby harling » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm not saying it is impossible, or that nobody would find it helpful; just that this feature needs to be evaluated in terms of cost/benefit; and compared to all the other things that Waze wants/needs to do.

The required effort to design, implement and maintain is typically underestimated; and while the feature will garner the appreciation of a number of end-users, it won't help Waze produce better routes, improve the performance of the client/server, or pave the way to any future capabilities of which I am aware.
harling

Postby harling » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:20 am

daknife wrote:Yet if it's such an impossible task to accomplish using crowd sourcing, then how pray tell did the other stand-alone nav gadgets (Tom Tom, Garmin etc...) get their speed limit databases built without the power of crowdsourcing?

$$$$
harling

Postby harling » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:39 am

ryryryry87 wrote:
harling wrote:Gas prices are short-term, constantly-changing data; correspond to a fixed GPS location rather than an area or a number of road segments; can be adjusted within the client; and present little risk of legal liability if the incorrect value is posted.

Speed limit signs are long term, and rarely change (less maintenance than gas price changes)
Speed limit signs are a fixed GPS location (they are in the ground!) **I understand the implications in the current editor and this may need to be segment based**

Consider how many gas stations are maintained on the map. Now consider the number of segments on the map. (Hint: segment IDs are eight digits.)
Speed limit signs should be able to be adjusted in the client (with approval)

Exactly: who is going to review the speed limits submitted for the thousands of segments in my small town alone--not to mention in the greater Boston area, the rest of MA, North America...?
I think this task is less work than Gas station crowd-sourcing, but I may be wrong.

Even if Waze were keeping track of prices at 100,000 gas stations, it would take a couple years of daily fuel price updates to reach the number of speed limits that would have to be "approved" for just the first pass; i.e., not including corrections and additions.
I am bored because I just wait for URs so I have something to edit. If I had speed limit data to input, I would have something to do with my free time again :)

Now we're getting somewhere! If you have run out of URs, you need a larger area, preferably somewhere that does not already have an active AM. There is plenty of work left to do on the U.S. map, without having to create more.
harling

Postby harling » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:30 pm

ryryryry87 wrote:
harling wrote:Mainly, it's because we already have a pretty good idea how much maintenance the current crowd-sourced data requires, and recognize that adding to that task list leaves fewer resources--Waze employees and volunteers both--available for tasks that are more critical to Waze's success, like making sure the maps are correct and up to date.

i am guessing you do not like Waze's gas price feature?

Those are apples & oranges in at least four ways. Gas prices are short-term, constantly-changing data; correspond to a fixed GPS location rather than an area or a number of road segments; can be adjusted within the client; and present little risk of legal liability if the incorrect value is posted.
harling

Postby harling » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:12 pm

ryryryry87 wrote:I don't see why so many people are against crowd-sourcing this information..

Mainly, it's because we already have a pretty good idea how much maintenance the current crowd-sourced data requires, and recognize that adding to that task list leaves fewer resources--Waze employees and volunteers both--available for tasks that are more critical to Waze's success, like making sure the maps are correct and up to date.
harling

Postby harling » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:21 am

kenf3 wrote:Just allow users to report the location of Speed Limit signs. This would fit in easily with the current Reports function/icon...

If you mean, treat speed limit signs like a variety of speed camera, I can see how that might work without diverting AMs and map editors. It wouldn't say anything between (reported) signs, but it wouldn't be a bad compromise. I couldn't tell you what kind of load it might put on the server database, though, as speed limit signs far outnumber speed cameras.
harling

Postby harling » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 pm

RallyChris wrote:The problem is, where to get the data from, and who updates it. Everything currently in the map, can over time be determined by watching people drive. But speed limit is not (as some people speed <gasp>).

And after all the work to enter speed data (segment by segment across the continent) and keep it current, how useful is it really, when the signs are already right there on the road where the Wazer is? Other than putting up a warning when exceeding the speed limit--which I expect many users would disable immediately--I just don't see a very big return on investment, when that time could be spent solving existing URs, making sure the highways are navigable, labeling ramps, etc..
harling

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General