Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby jondrush » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 pm

dgtlrift wrote:Not sure if this is the right spot, but I believe I have found a bug with the map editor. I cannot add a legal turn to a street:
Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 8.29.37 AM.png

In the Image above, you can see on the South end of the Street that there is no way to add a right turn to the circle. This leaves directions always leading to the left regardless of which way is closer. I'm not sure it this is a systemic issue whenever there is a street configuration like this or if it's just a misconfiguration in this specific street. Any adice?

See this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27728
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fotrik » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 pm

porubcan wrote:PS don't expect from me to manually edit addresses for existing landmarks without telling us why it is important, how is it used and what's the added value. thanks for understanding.

+1
fotrik
Localizers
Localizers

Postby porubcan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:10 pm

mike-bronner wrote:
Timbones wrote:
wroadd wrote:As I see there was a change in the WME, new fields are available for gas stations (and any other landmarks) for country (state) and city

So it seems. Does this mean that landmarks will become searchable items?

I believe so. This seems to jive with their recent announcement to show advertisers' companies and stores along the way, which most likely would have to rely on landmarks, given that other services have often not been at the correct location.
My guess is that locations would help with these advertisements, possibly by being able to attach descriptions and logos to a special type of landmark, which could also apply to gas stations.
http://www.waze.com/blog/introducing-waze-ads-bringing-you-the-most-relevant-local-merchants-and-big-brand-stores-along-your-route/

so it is probably huge problem for Devs, to compare landmark's positions against "city" layer and if landmark position is within city, automatically fill address data?

in my opinion having address for landmark is great (if address data will be used correctly in search results, etc.).
on the other hand, having address defined just by country and city isn't enough, we need street too (and maybe house #)... how would you distinguish between X stores/gas-stations/ of same brand within one (bigger) city without knowing the street name?

last, but not least, no official communication again :!:

PS don't expect from me to manually edit addresses for existing landmarks without telling us why it is important, how is it used and what's the added value. thanks for understanding.
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby wroadd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Dave2084 wrote:The upgrade has broken the Brand field for Petrol (Gas) Stations.

When you look at a Gas Station the brand is blank.
Update it and Save.
Select the Gas Station again and it's blank!

Also instead of something we haven't been asking for being added to properties of objects on the Waze map how about something we have been asking for for almost 3 years like a COUNTY field for the UK and other ROTW countries?

I will look forward to updating the 7000+ petrol stations in the UK ... :?

Dave, I found the bug (the first item of the gas stations' brand-list was an empty line, so it destroy the selection, but if has no effect on the real values, so if you select one brand and save the changes, it will be saved to the waze's database), so they are working on it ;)
wroadd

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:02 pm

skbun wrote:At this point, it'd surely be less taxing on the database server than having to scroll around, zooming in and out, querying thousands of segments with the highlighting script -- and even then not finding it. ;)

And after all that work, six months later the city area layer haven't yet been updated and people still complain about a damn city name on the wrong segment on the wrong place that makes that small city become more prominent than, and even over, Lisbon, the capital of Portugal ;) we all hate that city these days, it's everywhere we drive.

At a certain point I just gave up and drawn "other" landmarks over the cities, first to use the extensions scripts to do a mass city set, but just kept them around.

Maybe it's better to forget the automatically city-areas and just let the editors draw them out, with a special landmark with a different colour than most other landmarks - the only disadvantage right now, every landmark not park/green or gas mostly blends with the city area :(
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:58 pm

skbun wrote:At this point, it'd surely be less taxing on the database server than having to scroll around, zooming in and out, querying thousands of segments with the highlighting script -- and even then not finding it. ;)

Perhaps so, but even with panning/zooming, you're hitting a lot of cached data. And all the highlighting is done at the browser level only, once the data is loaded from the server.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:56 pm

wroadd wrote:As I see there was a change in the WME, new fields are available for gas stations(and ny othre landmarks) for country (state) and city

In all seriousness, I've been trying to come up with methodologies to deal with city smudges recently, and it's really dang hard to do. At this point, I really wish there were ways to identify a numerical CityID, and just have it spit out 'all segments and lat/long of one of its connected nodes' at me, so I can get rid of the dang things. At this point, it'd surely be less taxing on the database server than having to scroll around, zooming in and out, querying thousands of segments with the highlighting script -- and even then not finding it. ;)
skbun

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:25 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Hey, why is the 'c' silent in the middle of Connecticut?

Because they don't want the extra Illinoise.
jasonh300

Postby skbun » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:20 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:
wroadd wrote:As I see there was a change in the WME, new fields are available for gas stations(and ny othre landmarks) for country (state) and city
Can you select a country? There is nothing in that dropdown here in the US...

I show United States for landmarks where I was just editing.

Oh, geez almighty. Looks like I get to fudge with the highlighting script again and add landmarks to city highlighting. ;)
skbun

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:17 pm

davipt wrote:(is it also on the wiki?)

:?: Documentation = wiki
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor