Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by dbraughlr
qwaletee wrote:"Forest Service 123" is alien-sounding. That's it. You think it isn't?
If Waze said "Turn right onto Runway 16L", would that sound alien?
Don't make the turn.

I'm not preaching. I am serious. If "Forest Service" sounds "alien" to you, you do not know what you are getting into and should not make the turn. Either the FS road is your intended destination and you know what you are getting into, or else you need to go some other way. The word "road" would provide false security. They are not "roads" in the sense that people such as yourself think of roads. If you make them sound "friendly", you could be sued for misrepresentation.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
vectorspace wrote:I thought that FS-XXX was shorter and closer to something like SR-XXX for State Route...
"Eye 80 Bus East" doesn't have "road" in it either. But people manage somehow just as they do with "U S 1" or "Aspen Sea Tee". I would have gone for "Biz I-80 East" just because a lot of exits have such long names that Waze can't say them fast enough when multiple instructions come in a short distance at highway speeds. I am fine with Waze saying "ess are" because it is short. I detested the "in a half of a mile" alien-sounding instruction when "in a half mile" is enough, the key word being "half".

I didn't go for "Forest Road" because of the risk of confusion with a "Forest Highway" which is entirely different.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Last edited by dbraughlr on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by dbraughlr
Thortok2000 wrote:Look at the road.

Point at it.

Begin the sentence: "That is a..."
I could let you play that game with many roads.
I-80 Bus W is a __________.
Broadway is a __________.

The Forest Service calls their own roads trails. But that is no guarantee that they are passable or reasonable. I don't know of any that should be used mid-route. They are roads only in the sense that a logging road is a road.
For safety reasons, equestrian travel is NOT RECOMMENDED on the following trails: Bear Canyon 12W08, Burkhart 10W02, Creekside 11W11, Devil’s Canyon 11W07, First Water 11W14.B, Indian 11W18, Kenyon Devore 11W13, Lower Sam Merrill 12W14.1, Lower Winter Creek 11W15, Middle Sam Merrill 12W14.2, National Forest 11W10, Nature’s Canteen 12W03A, Rim 11W28, Twin Peaks 10W04.A, Upper Sam Merrill 12W14.3, Upper Winter Creek 11W23, Zion 11W17 Station Fire Closure- Burton 12W19, Colby Canyon 12W23, Colby Canyon 12W23.1, Condor Peak 13W05, Dawn Mine 12W13, Fall Creek 12W02, Gold Canyon 13W06, Stone Canyon 13W07, Strawberry 12W05.2, Strawberry Peak 12W05.1, Tom Sloan 12W22, Trail Canyon 13W03, World of Chaparral 12W03.
-fs.usda.gov. (The word "trail" is omitted from the end of every name in this list, e.g., Trail Canyon Trail.)

It is not a Forest Service road, it is a trail designated by the Forest Service.
"FS-" = "Forest Service trail".
Thortok2000 wrote:I don't think it harms anything to have the couple extra words.
  1. It causes a delay until Waze gets to the part of the instruction that the driver really does need to hear.
  2. It makes instructions so long that Waze cannot say them twice in 500'.
    There are exits which have such long names that Waze doesn't finish them before it is time to repeat the instruction.

With FS-12W05.2, an extra word makes it more cumbersome.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
"Interstate" is an adjective modifying the noun "highway". I-routes are numbered highways of the federal interstate highway system. "I" is an abbreviation for "interstate highway". The abbreviation suffices and makes the speech shorter. FS-whatever is a Forest Service route. "Eff ess" serves the same function as "eye". Turning it into more words really doesn't help anything.

Broadway is not merely in the name; Broadway is the name. It is not "Broad Way".
Thortok2000 wrote: I named the road into the parking lot where I live 'Really long name of absolutely no significance except for testing.'
Not much can be inferred from your test. Though it does appear to approximate the length of "Forest service road 16W02 point 2".

There are a few exits/wayfinders that I've come across more than once that are interrupted by the next instruction. I'll have to pin a map issue next time I hear one. I know that another announcement starts immediately after "to I-80 Bus E / SR-99 S / Reno / Fresno". (Disorganized to follow an unreasonable rule rather than read off the BGSs separately from left to right. The two signs are 'biz' I-80 E to Reno and SR-99 S to Fresno. "SR-99 S Reno" makes no sense and is a wasted instruction.)
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
sketch wrote: You read left to right, top to bottom. Line one, then line two. 80 Business and SR 99, to Reno and Fresno. Maybe "SR-99 S Reno" doesn't make sense, but neither does "Reno Fresno". The slash is a separator. Go this way if you need to get to any of the following: I-80 Bus E, SR-99 S, Reno, or Fresno. Route names are more important to GPS navigation than city names, so they're read first.
Perhaps you read that way. But I read column 1, then column 2. I read the left column, then the right column. But anyway, taking it as a single column is not the rule being applied here anyway. The rule is unrelated to any reading order.

The proper reading is "Biz I-80 E : Reno; or SR-99 S: Fresno". This is the only logical way to read the sign. But the next instruction comes so fast that "Keep right onto Biz I-80 E or SR-99 S" would suffice. It will be followed immediately be either "Keep left onto I-80 Bus E / Reno" or "Keep right onto SR-99 S / Fresno".

I also think that city names can be more important. A lot of road can be confusing for how they are name and numbered. But the name of a distant city rarely sends you onto the wrong road. So in this tangled interchange, I am looking for South Lake Tahoe, Reno, or Fresno.

I am not listening for what I need so much as Waze is suppose to tell me what sign I should follow. It doesn't do that. Perhaps the segment name should be blank so that Waze will read to me only the correct one of the two signs that I should follow.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Last edited by dbraughlr on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by dbraughlr
I was in the process of adding a permalink while you were responding. You can follow it forward and try to determine on which signs the instructions should be based.

This is not exactly an exit. US-50E, SR-99S, and biz 80E split. Biz-80E goes to the right. But immediately thereafter, the exit for SR-99S is to the right and Biz 80E takes the flyover to the left (north).

The first sign is clearly intended to give traffic a head start on the SR-99S exit by including the yellow "exit only" marking above a pair of lanes. And that the real deal: If you aren't in one of the left two lanes at that point, you will have trouble exiting to Fresno.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Last edited by dbraughlr on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by dbraughlr
There are prefixes like "I-" and "US-" don't get special pronunciation.
For all these that you propose, I would be fine with just the letters being pronounced.

Otherwise, what the harm is there in shortening them?
  • IRR-xxx → "Reservation Road".
  • ITR-xxx → "Tribal Road".
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
txemt wrote:I've been spelling out "business". I'd rather have waze say "I-20 business" instead of "I-20 bus".
That's great if you want to do do that. Why don't you update the wiki so that we can update them all?

I propose that for a long-term solution for correct shields that we standardize a prefix ("BI-") for interstate business loops. Thus BI-20 would generate the correct shield and TTS (perhaps "biz loop twenty").
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
txemt wrote:It'll say "bee elle" or "bl"
I would expect BI- to be pronounced bee eye without a TTS abbreviation translation.
My proposal is to add "BI-" to the TTS translation so that it is read how ever it is that we want it to be read, and to the shield translation to get a green shield.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
davielde wrote:"Business" is understandable to the ear whether it is a loop or a spur. I know that "Business Interstate" encompasses both loops and spurs …
How about "BI-" → business eye to be generic for loops and spurs?
dbraughlr
Send a message