Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby davipt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:22 am

bz2012 wrote:
davipt wrote:...
"mouse-over shows the roads" data is vectorial data retrieved as json from waze.com/descartes/features. If this fails, you'll get roads images but none will be selectable. And no radars, no problems, none of those.

Hm... interesting point that I didn't bring up is that the WME color highlight extension DOES work.

That implies to me that WME could be made more efficient by dispensing entirely with the ROAD images and just using a method similar to the way the WME color highlight extension works.

That could dispense with the need for a LOT network traffic.

It would be quite heavy on the browser to draw all segments, including the direction arrows, and more importantly the road names and their position on the segment and the angle in vectorial mode. Not impossible though. It's still easier and cheaper to do it once on the server side.

From my experience with the browser and javascript, drawing lines and areas scales pretty well, but as soon as text is involved, it dies quite fast. :(

The thing that could be improved is caching, as I don't think there's any relevant cache on the tiles. If I request the same tile over and over again I get the average of 3 seconds, but sometimes a fast reply, sometimes a very slow one, and what tips it off is the sometimes there's segments, sometimes only arrows. But I'm sure one of the new infrastructure's advantage is better caching on these tiles.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bz2012 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:13 am

davipt wrote:...
"mouse-over shows the roads" data is vectorial data retrieved as json from waze.com/descartes/features. If this fails, you'll get roads images but none will be selectable. And no radars, no problems, none of those.

Hm... interesting point that I didn't bring up is that the WME color highlight extension DOES work.

That implies to me that WME could be made more efficient by dispensing entirely with the ROAD images and just using a method similar to the way the WME color highlight extension works.

That could dispense with the need for a LOT network traffic.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby davipt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:40 am

wingneris wrote:I have been driving everyday for the past 7 days with my Waze app open and logged into my waze account.

However, only three of my drives show up in the map editor and they are all incomplete.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31184

It's about editing permissions, but I've been getting reports from my country also of missing drives and partial drives, and I'm sure both issues are related. I don't think it has nothing to do with the editor, so please report it on that thread.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:32 am

bz2012 wrote:I have been editing for a little while. I have NEVER seen it where NO ROADS nor GPS points were being displayed BUT mouse-over shows the roads to be there.
(...)
SO, I ask again: is everyone having the same problem?

besides bing, all layers are retrieve as png images from etiles[1-4].waze.com, and they are right now randomly quite slow, for me right now with an minimum of 3 seconds per tile, and most with half-data tiles. When these server fails, you'll get holes in the map, missing layers or even the famous pink layer.

Unfortunately I've seen both cases failing, including the famous pink background case.

To keep this conversation on-topic with the thread, I've recall I've already reported a possible regression with the new WME (or the backend), where the session is temporarily lost and the "loading roads" (the json) fails to load, but usually a pane or zoom refreshes the data. (ping me for more data if needed)

Further keeping it on-topic, I've just noticed a strange behaviour that can be a regression on the new WME, and can also be the cause for the slow retrieval of the tiles: everytime I load the map, I see a lot (25) request for tiles in London, independently of my position or even if I load a permalink. Those certainly cause additional unnecessary load on the etiles, and slows down the browser (4 servers vs. 4 parallel request per server). The good news is that it doesn't seem to retrieve tiles from London anymore after a pane or zoom, it's just the initial load.

So a simpler answer for you, yes it's happening to everyone, it may depend on the country or the zoom or the amount of data but it may reveal as an empty tile (a hole on the map), an empty layer, or even funny things like segments without the direction arrows or arrows without the segment lines.

With luck you may even see the famous pink background!

So please relax it's almost Sunday.

And WME developers, it's too late for me to check the javascript, but please verify this loading of defeault london tiles all the time, it's a waste of resources :|
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby wingneris » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:43 pm

I have been driving everyday for the past 7 days with my Waze app open and logged into my waze account.

However, only three of my drives show up in the map editor and they are all incomplete.
wingneris

Postby CrackedLCD » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:26 pm

bz2012 wrote:SO, I ask again: is everyone having the same problem?

I'll chime in with a resounding "yes".

I've only been editing for a few months but never encountered the issue you described until the update. So I think it's perfectly normal to report that here because it's an issue with the new editor version and this is the feedback page.

I combed through the entire thread and didn't see this specific issue really acknowledged, so I dunno why people would be upset that it's being mentioned now. If nothing else, it gives us solace to know we're not the only ones having these issues. If you lose the ability to select roads, hitting Permalink should fix it. I've been doing that because it's breaking almost every time I zoom in to handle superfluous nodes close together.

Of course, after the 22nd Permalink/refresh after zooming in/out, I finally decided to call it a night. ;)
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Daknife » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:21 pm

Nope, no problems here.
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby bz2012 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:05 pm

xteejx wrote:And none of the above issues are news to anyone including waze. Please post about real issues with the editor, not simple timeouts!

Edit: oops, that's kinda what you just said, didn't read it fully :-P

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

I have been editing for a little while. I have NEVER seen it where NO ROADS nor GPS points were being displayed BUT mouse-over shows the roads to be there.

Yes, I have seen it slow before. But this is not just slow, and after the problem I had a couple of weeks ago, where I could not SAVE any changes, it took a while to get them to look at the problem. The problem was finally confirmed as one that seemed to be effecting ONLY CMs. They then fixed the problem.

Yesterday and today's problem seems to be of a different order of magnitude from previous 'slow' times, when some tiles were pink and some roads slow to appear.

I thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone else was seeing the same problem.

So far, no one has done much except to say 'this is to be expected' and "don't waste our time here with this kind of problem."

SO, I ask again: is everyone having the same problem?
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby floppyrod84 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:05 pm

And none of the above issues are news to anyone including waze. Please post about real issues with the editor, not simple timeouts!

Edit: oops, that's kinda what you just said, didn't read it fully :-P

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby davipt » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:49 pm

bz2012 wrote:
davipt wrote:
bz2012 wrote:Is anyone else having this problem???

"loading road images" appears to be failing.
When roads layer is on I see pink. Mouse-over shows roads data is there.

I think it's called "the weekend has started so the servers will be slow". Have patience and it it doesn't improve, wait until tomorrow when they get back to work ;)

GPS points are gone too, now.

Guys, are you new editors or something? Yes the editor sometimes get's slow, times-out, gives errors, it usually happens more during their weekend (Fri/Sat), but it's already been announced and promised it will get (even) better when the editor is migrated to the new infrastructure in some weeks, no need to report, specially in this thread, every timeout on the editor. Just pane the map to reload the roads. Or zoom. Or refresh. Or go have a drink, it will get better tomorrow morning, it always does. :)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor