Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby HandofMadness » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 am

The editor opens up a large number of sessions. I had a switch that would choke on Waze editing. If you have an older router or a really cheap one, there' s a good chance its running out of sessions. Will often take several minutes of not doing anything for them to clear, then it will work again for a short time.

A good way to test if it is a session issue, is do you have problems with other web traffic? If the sessions are maxed out, your web browser will have problems opening new web pages at the same time.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby SocalToe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:13 am

jasonh300 wrote:
invented wrote:It wouldn't be an issue with a cable modem, it's just a dumb bridge. Maybe with something doing NAT like your router. Perhaps the user that reported success was using a combined modem/router thing.

It could be, as was pointed out by davipt and bz2012 earlier: viewtopic.php?p=288168#p288168

Does anyone make a Cable or DSL modem anymore that's not a combo modem/router? I've been trying to get a DSL modem for my office without a router because the wireless routers keep failing, but AT&T claims they don't use those anymore.

Just plug your own wireless network router into 1 of the ethernet ports on the modem and turn the wireless off on the modem............
SocalToe

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:04 am

invented wrote:It wouldn't be an issue with a cable modem, it's just a dumb bridge. Maybe with something doing NAT like your router. Perhaps the user that reported success was using a combined modem/router thing.

It could be, as was pointed out by davipt and bz2012 earlier: viewtopic.php?p=288168#p288168

Does anyone make a Cable or DSL modem anymore that's not a combo modem/router? I've been trying to get a DSL modem for my office without a router because the wireless routers keep failing, but AT&T claims they don't use those anymore.
jasonh300

Postby invented » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:15 am

jasonh300 wrote:
numbtrip wrote:So annoying it's soured the editing, and its also much too fiddly to try and select a road that is almost horizontal on the map, I have to keep adjusting my mouse precision just to try and select 1 segment.

This is a Firefox bug. Use Chrome.

If you're having loading issues on the NA server, try resetting your Cable/DSL modem. There hasn't been any type of editor outage this weekend. Not sure about the International server.

It wouldn't be an issue with a cable modem, it's just a dumb bridge. Maybe with something doing NAT like your router. Perhaps the user that reported success was using a combined modem/router thing.
invented

Postby mike-bronner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:24 am

Trinity76 wrote:Hi all
Found the solution of this problem:
This error depends on the zoom level of the Firefox browser. After changing it by <CTRL>+MouseWheel it's gone ... :geek:
CU

Perhaps a non-standard text size setting? CTRL-0 will revert back to default text size. See if that helps.
mike-bronner

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:47 am

numbtrip wrote:So annoying it's soured the editing, and its also much too fiddly to try and select a road that is almost horizontal on the map, I have to keep adjusting my mouse precision just to try and select 1 segment.

This is a Firefox bug. Use Chrome.

If you're having loading issues on the NA server, try resetting your Cable/DSL modem. There hasn't been any type of editor outage this weekend. Not sure about the International server.
jasonh300

Postby Numbtrip » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:45 am

I have given up trying to edit at all now, everytime I try I maybe manage to do 1 or 2 edits before it constantly sits stating "loading Map images" or similar. I've even tried it it Chrome instead of Firefox but no change.

So annoying it's soured the editing, and its also much too fiddly to try and select a road that is almost horizontal on the map, I have to keep adjusting my mouse precision just to try and select 1 segment.
Numbtrip

Postby trinity76 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Trinity76 wrote:Hi all
New WME looks great - but found a little problem:
The "+" to add roads etc. overlays the layer selector - see attached jpeg.
How can I change this ? Is it only a problem at my desk ?

That happened to at least one person during the beta last week, and it appeared to clear itself somehow. I'd make sure you clear your cache, disable scripts/extensions related to Waze, restart the browser.

I tried my best (deactivate Greasemonkey, clear BrowserCache, restart Browser and OS) - but nothing changes...
So I will wait that it fix itself over next time.

Anyway - thanx for helping.

Sven

Hi all
Found the solution of this problem:
This error depends on the zoom level of the Firefox browser. After changing it by <CTRL>+MouseWheel it's gone ... :geek:

CU
trinity76

Postby davipt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:07 pm

bz2012 wrote:I don't know if it was something I did, or a change along the network pathway, or something at the WAZE end, but I can now see roads and GPS points.
(...)
Next time it happens, I will reboot the cable modem first!

First I thought "what does the cable modem have to do with this, but then something came into my mind and I can do some further tests if waze needs (am busy right now, it's Sunday and the kid needs attention), but I have a feeling that the new editor does a lot more connections than the previous one. This is because in a certain case I use a proxy over a ssh tunneled connection and I noticed the ssh tunnel returning me "too many connections" - the default files limit on Mac (ulimit -n) is 256. So either there are much more requests than before (I've already reported that the editor loads at startup some 25 tiles from london independently of wherever you are right now), but it can also be some stale connection that never gets closed or never times out and keeps piling up open connections.

So if indeed there are so many connections, a reboot of the cable modem to reset the NAT state could help. But I'd rather buy a better cable modem ;)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bz2012 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:56 pm

WAZE did some testing and saw no problems so I tried various things.

I don't know if it was something I did, or a change along the network pathway, or something at the WAZE end, but I can now see roads and GPS points.

The last thing I tried, immediately before it started working, was rebooting my cable modem.

Other things I tried that produced no joy were:
  • clearing my arp table with arp -d
  • trying different browsers
  • trying browsers with ALL history and cookies removed(I ran the browsers under sandboxie so the 'delete stuff' would NOT cause a permanent loss of information).
  • trying a different computer (actually a virtual machine running under vmware)

Next time it happens, I will reboot the cable modem first!

Hope this helps someone.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor