Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby CrackedLCD » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:26 pm

bz2012 wrote:SO, I ask again: is everyone having the same problem?

I'll chime in with a resounding "yes".

I've only been editing for a few months but never encountered the issue you described until the update. So I think it's perfectly normal to report that here because it's an issue with the new editor version and this is the feedback page.

I combed through the entire thread and didn't see this specific issue really acknowledged, so I dunno why people would be upset that it's being mentioned now. If nothing else, it gives us solace to know we're not the only ones having these issues. If you lose the ability to select roads, hitting Permalink should fix it. I've been doing that because it's breaking almost every time I zoom in to handle superfluous nodes close together.

Of course, after the 22nd Permalink/refresh after zooming in/out, I finally decided to call it a night. ;)
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby wingneris » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:43 pm

I have been driving everyday for the past 7 days with my Waze app open and logged into my waze account.

However, only three of my drives show up in the map editor and they are all incomplete.
wingneris

Postby davipt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:32 am

bz2012 wrote:I have been editing for a little while. I have NEVER seen it where NO ROADS nor GPS points were being displayed BUT mouse-over shows the roads to be there.
(...)
SO, I ask again: is everyone having the same problem?

besides bing, all layers are retrieve as png images from etiles[1-4].waze.com, and they are right now randomly quite slow, for me right now with an minimum of 3 seconds per tile, and most with half-data tiles. When these server fails, you'll get holes in the map, missing layers or even the famous pink layer.

"mouse-over shows the roads" data is vectorial data retrieved as json from waze.com/descartes/features. If this fails, you'll get roads images but none will be selectable. And no radars, no problems, none of those.

Unfortunately I've seen both cases failing, including the famous pink background case.

To keep this conversation on-topic with the thread, I've recall I've already reported a possible regression with the new WME (or the backend), where the session is temporarily lost and the "loading roads" (the json) fails to load, but usually a pane or zoom refreshes the data. (ping me for more data if needed)

Further keeping it on-topic, I've just noticed a strange behaviour that can be a regression on the new WME, and can also be the cause for the slow retrieval of the tiles: everytime I load the map, I see a lot (25) request for tiles in London, independently of my position or even if I load a permalink. Those certainly cause additional unnecessary load on the etiles, and slows down the browser (4 servers vs. 4 parallel request per server). The good news is that it doesn't seem to retrieve tiles from London anymore after a pane or zoom, it's just the initial load.

So a simpler answer for you, yes it's happening to everyone, it may depend on the country or the zoom or the amount of data but it may reveal as an empty tile (a hole on the map), an empty layer, or even funny things like segments without the direction arrows or arrows without the segment lines.

With luck you may even see the famous pink background!

So please relax it's almost Sunday.

And WME developers, it's too late for me to check the javascript, but please verify this loading of defeault london tiles all the time, it's a waste of resources :|
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:40 am

wingneris wrote:I have been driving everyday for the past 7 days with my Waze app open and logged into my waze account.

However, only three of my drives show up in the map editor and they are all incomplete.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31184

It's about editing permissions, but I've been getting reports from my country also of missing drives and partial drives, and I'm sure both issues are related. I don't think it has nothing to do with the editor, so please report it on that thread.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bz2012 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:13 am

davipt wrote:...
"mouse-over shows the roads" data is vectorial data retrieved as json from waze.com/descartes/features. If this fails, you'll get roads images but none will be selectable. And no radars, no problems, none of those.

Hm... interesting point that I didn't bring up is that the WME color highlight extension DOES work.

That implies to me that WME could be made more efficient by dispensing entirely with the ROAD images and just using a method similar to the way the WME color highlight extension works.

That could dispense with the need for a LOT network traffic.
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby davipt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:22 am

bz2012 wrote:

Hm... interesting point that I didn't bring up is that the WME color highlight extension DOES work.

That implies to me that WME could be made more efficient by dispensing entirely with the ROAD images and just using a method similar to the way the WME color highlight extension works.

It would be quite heavy on the browser to draw all segments, including the direction arrows, and more importantly the road names and their position on the segment and the angle in vectorial mode. Not impossible though. It's still easier and cheaper to do it once on the server side.

From my experience with the browser and javascript, drawing lines and areas scales pretty well, but as soon as text is involved, it dies quite fast. :(

The thing that could be improved is caching, as I don't think there's any relevant cache on the tiles. If I request the same tile over and over again I get the average of 3 seconds, but sometimes a fast reply, sometimes a very slow one, and what tips it off is the sometimes there's segments, sometimes only arrows. But I'm sure one of the new infrastructure's advantage is better caching on these tiles.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:47 am

davipt wrote:
bz2012 wrote:

It would be quite heavy on the browser to draw all segments, including the direction arrows, and more importantly the road names and their position on the segment and the angle in vectorial mode. Not impossible though. It's still easier and cheaper to do it once on the server side.

The browser essentially does this now, though it doesn't actually produce the images for the visible road layer. But every road object is loaded from the server which allows us to manipulate that object. The browser is tracking it, panning it, zooming it, etc., with every movement of the map.

I would think we are closer to having the visible road layer rendered completely in the browser that we think. At least, I hope so! :)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:36 am

I hope so too.
Sorry if those newer editors are a little peeved, but non-loading images really is nothing new to most of us, and it does seem to happen during high server load and during the tile building process for that same reason.

I look forward to the day that the browser updates the tile image itself when Save is clicked, and the resulting pngs sent back to the server for redistribution to others. Distributed computing is still the way forward imho.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby mssusa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:22 am

Loading road images and not the road objects, or vice versa is not a new behavior at all. It has been there for a long time before the last upgrade.
I believe it is a server load problem as I've seen UK editors always complaining about unresponsiveness or missing layers while the editor is working perfectly for me. I've never paid much attention to see if I'm served by the same servers as the UK editors (both before and after the UK got their own servers).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby mike-bronner » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:34 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:.....

The browser essentially does this now, though it doesn't actually produce the images for the visible road layer. But every road object is loaded from the server which allows us to manipulate that object. The browser is tracking it, panning it, zooming it, etc., with every movement of the map.

I would think we are closer to having the visible road layer rendered completely in the browser that we think. At least, I hope so! :)

If we're speaking of graphically drawing things out, the browser is already doing this. The server just sends the raw data about the objects (coordinates, basically), then the browser renders everything through SVG data. The selectable road object is actually separate from the road that you see. It is an invisible vector object that gets manipulated as you select it or hover over it.
Because all objects are essentially data, and not graphics, we can create nifty add-ons, like timbones' color hightlights script, that can manipulate segments. :)
The only graphics that the server servers up is the Bing imagery, which comes from Bing servers, so it doesn't present an additional load on the Waze servers.
mike-bronner

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor