Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:15 am

mike-bronner wrote:If we're speaking of graphically drawing things out, the browser is already doing this. The server just sends the raw data about the objects (coordinates, basically), then the browser renders everything through SVG data. The selectable road object is actually separate from the road that you see. It is an invisible vector object that gets manipulated as you select it or hover over it.
Because all objects are essentially data, and not graphics, we can create nifty add-ons, like timbones' color hightlights script, that can manipulate segments. :)
The only graphics that the server servers up is the Bing imagery, which comes from Bing servers, so it doesn't present an additional load on the Waze servers.

We are saying the same thing I think. What we see visually for the road layer, is a png, aligned with the actual SVG layer. What I'd like to see is the SVG layer only to be loaded, and have the browser draw the actual visible layer too.

In terms of the browser save causing a tile refresh, that is a capability of the current infrastructure and was one of the major features of the upgrade the US got a few months ago, and the World got this past week.

However, we do not want it to happen this quickly, at least, not so the app can download it right away or by default. Can you imagine a tile being saved 20 times in 5 minutes and the app downloading the tile 20 times? That would crush both the infrastrucutre network bandwidth and kill our data plan limits. :) It may be able to do that, but before we do, we need better, more restrictive default app tile download behavior.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby invented » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:30 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
mike-bronner wrote:If we're speaking of graphically drawing things out, the browser is already doing this. The server just sends the raw data about the objects (coordinates, basically), then the browser renders everything through SVG data. The selectable road object is actually separate from the road that you see. It is an invisible vector object that gets manipulated as you select it or hover over it.
Because all objects are essentially data, and not graphics, we can create nifty add-ons, like timbones' color hightlights script, that can manipulate segments. :)
The only graphics that the server servers up is the Bing imagery, which comes from Bing servers, so it doesn't present an additional load on the Waze servers.

We are saying the same thing I think. What we see visually for the road layer, is a png, aligned with the actual SVG layer. What I'd like to see is the SVG layer only to be loaded, and have the browser draw the actual visible layer too.

In terms of the browser save causing a tile refresh, that is a capability of the current infrastructure and was one of the major features of the upgrade the US got a few months ago, and the World got this past week.

However, we do not want it to happen this quickly, at least, not so the app can download it right away or by default. Can you imagine a tile being saved 20 times in 5 minutes and the app downloading the tile 20 times? That would crush both the infrastrucutre network bandwidth and kill our data plan limits. :) It may be able to do that, but before we do, we need better, more restrictive default app tile download behavior.
the app doesn't even update a tile until you route over it so it's pretty moot.
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented

Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby mike-bronner » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:40 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:

Oh yes, didn't mean to contradict, was expanding on your answer. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mike-bronner

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:57 am

invented wrote:the app doesn't even update a tile until you route over it so it's pretty moot.

1/2 true. There is also a date associated with tiles and the app is supposed to download nearby tiles even when not routing if they have "expired."
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:38 am

There does seem to be a bug in updateModel in the current 771 public version on NA. It will, for causes yet to be determined, decide not to request segment data from the features server.

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:34 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:It would be quite heavy on the browser to draw all segments, including the direction arrows, and more importantly the road names and their position on the segment and the angle in vectorial mode. Not impossible though. It's still easier and cheaper to do it once on the server side.

The browser essentially does this now, though it doesn't actually produce the images for the visible road layer. But every road object is loaded from the server which allows us to manipulate that object. The browser is tracking it, panning it, zooming it, etc., with every movement of the map.

I would think we are closer to having the visible road layer rendered completely in the browser that we think. At least, I hope so! :)

No it doesn't, you didn't read me completely ;) Drawing dozens even hundreds of lines is easy. It's the text and the effects (direction arrowst, node circles) hat would not scale. But mainly the text. Unless you want to see most of the road nameless and directionless until you click on it, like the client does now.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby wroadd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:08 am

The gas station's brand field is fixed...
Waze Global Champ, (Re)tired
Hardware: THL T11 & iPhone 5S
Car: Opel Insignia : blueish grey
wroadd

Postby bz2012 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:56 pm

WAZE did some testing and saw no problems so I tried various things.

I don't know if it was something I did, or a change along the network pathway, or something at the WAZE end, but I can now see roads and GPS points.

The last thing I tried, immediately before it started working, was rebooting my cable modem.

Other things I tried that produced no joy were:
  • clearing my arp table with arp -d
  • trying different browsers
  • trying browsers with ALL history and cookies removed(I ran the browsers under sandboxie so the 'delete stuff' would NOT cause a permanent loss of information).
  • trying a different computer (actually a virtual machine running under vmware)

Next time it happens, I will reboot the cable modem first!

Hope this helps someone.
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby davipt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:07 pm

bz2012 wrote:I don't know if it was something I did, or a change along the network pathway, or something at the WAZE end, but I can now see roads and GPS points.
(...)
Next time it happens, I will reboot the cable modem first!

First I thought "what does the cable modem have to do with this, but then something came into my mind and I can do some further tests if waze needs (am busy right now, it's Sunday and the kid needs attention), but I have a feeling that the new editor does a lot more connections than the previous one. This is because in a certain case I use a proxy over a ssh tunneled connection and I noticed the ssh tunnel returning me "too many connections" - the default files limit on Mac (ulimit -n) is 256. So either there are much more requests than before (I've already reported that the editor loads at startup some 25 tiles from london independently of wherever you are right now), but it can also be some stale connection that never gets closed or never times out and keeps piling up open connections.

So if indeed there are so many connections, a reboot of the cable modem to reset the NAT state could help. But I'd rather buy a better cable modem ;)
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby trinity76 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Trinity76 wrote:Hi all
New WME looks great - but found a little problem:
The "+" to add roads etc. overlays the layer selector - see attached jpeg.
How can I change this ? Is it only a problem at my desk ?

That happened to at least one person during the beta last week, and it appeared to clear itself somehow. I'd make sure you clear your cache, disable scripts/extensions related to Waze, restart the browser.

I tried my best (deactivate Greasemonkey, clear BrowserCache, restart Browser and OS) - but nothing changes...
So I will wait that it fix itself over next time.

Anyway - thanx for helping.

Sven

Hi all
Found the solution of this problem:
This error depends on the zoom level of the Firefox browser. After changing it by <CTRL>+MouseWheel it's gone ... :geek:

CU
Waze for Android (3.5.3.0) on HTC Sensation XE (4.0.3)

trinity76

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor