Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Map Editor major ver (Nov 5, 2012) Official Feedback

Postby artuuras » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:52 pm

davipt wrote:It basically happens sometimes when I zoom in that a segment becomes half-selectable, meaning that it does become blue, but there is no A-B balloons, nor any change to that segment will be saved.

+1
Yes, and Loadinng road data... forever.
Here you can see segment blue but not editable.
loading1.jpg
(150.75 KiB) Downloaded 698 times

After pressing "permalink" it's o.k.
loading2.jpg
(152.19 KiB) Downloaded 698 times
artuuras

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Davipt, I've been seeing something similar to that for a while.

When you hover over segments they turn blue, but if you don't click on them, they normally turn white again as you move the mouse away. Sometimes, the blue will stick though, and other than the lack of the A/B, they appear to be selected. If you sweep the mouse pointer over a false-selected segment, it will usually turn back white.

When multiselecting, I always seem to end up with one or two segments that look like they're selected, but they're really not. In my case, it doesn't necessarily happen when zooming. This bug has been around for a long time and it happened in both Firefox and Chrome. It's a lot more obvious now that we have the A/B, and I'm so used to working around it, I never thought to report it.
jasonh300

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:51 pm

So I have yet another issue. This one seems to be happening only from today, but I can't guarantee as it's kind of random and hard to explain.

It basically happens sometimes when I zoom in that a segment becomes half-selectable, meaning that it does become blue, but there is no A-B balloons, nor any change to that segment will be saved.

It seems to be some concurrency between a quick zoom in via the mouse (both mouse wheel and mac's trackpad two fingers does the same) and the loading of roads. It's not a question of lesser roads (e.g. streets) not being selectable on high zoom levels, as it's happening a lot (but not limited to) I'm selecting a series of minor highways and sometimes there's a small segment I can't select at that zoom level, so with the previous segments selected, I zoom, cmd-select that small one, and the A-B doesn't update. So I try to change something (name, minor to major), the whole set of segments is orange, but after saving all segments but the small one are changed.

Most of the times I need to refresh the page to get the segments properly selectable again, but I think I saw once or twice the select working after the save and even after a pane to reload the roads.

This surely didn't happen on the previous WME, but again I can't assure for sure that this started only today.

Ping me if you need a better description.

PS: nothing related to any script, just tested it with every script disabled.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:34 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Swapping the segments around manually also reverses the speed data, which means total corruption for a one-way street. Someone did that to some segments around here and the one-way streets have speed data for both directions now, which is starting to cause problems.

Yes, but I've also seen a different case that can't be related to the inverse A-B/B-A. We have all freeways as two one-way segments, and most of the time they are parallel to each other just with a cement separator, but sometimes they do split from each other several meters away.

Either way, I do see fwd speed and rev speed on almost all segments, independently if they have been split from a single two-way segment (via cartouche_old's feature to split into two), or drawn from scratch as two segments, and locked right away.

My impression is that if a user is actively following a route, the client knows which segment he is and correctly sets everything, but if a client is not with an active route, and the segment is not locked, the client may be telling the server that the user may be on the wrong segment and driving against the traffic and setting the rev speed or even turning it into a two-way segment. The later happens a lot on national roads (minors) where they split for a junction, and almost all segments on waze have one way still correct, and the other way switched as two-ways, which obviously will wrongly tell the user "keep right" when arriving there. die die die!

This line of thought is what is making me simplify all roundabouts and perpendicular junctions, as all those segments, when unlocked, have a tendency to switch to two-ways, and according to the highlights script (which I patched to show me *all* u-turn/red, reverse/pink and soft/yellow segments), all segments near to each other (those freeways and all roundabouts/junctions with multiple entry/exit segments) are pink, when not even red. As I don't want to lock everything, I'll just try to simplify the map, qw' it all, ensure the highlight doesn't show anything else, and wait for the next update.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:23 pm

xtago wrote:The waze editor doesn't work on firefox at all, for it to be able to used on firefox you need to install a chrome overlay that allows chrome addons to work in firefox.

No. That's Internet Explorer that requires the Chrome Frame, not Firefox. There is no such plugin for Firefox that I'm aware of. The only real issue I know of with Firefox is the horizontal selection bug, which was severe enough to make me quit using it.

xtago wrote:Allow for the A/B of a segment to be swapped around instead of spinning it manually or having to do the lot numbering backwards on a segment.

Swapping the segments around manually also reverses the speed data, which means total corruption for a one-way street. Someone did that to some segments around here and the one-way streets have speed data for both directions now, which is starting to cause problems.
jasonh300

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:12 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:
davipt wrote:I found a way to do this by mistake (literally) as I turned a lot of roundabout segments from A-B to B-A.

This sounds pretty much like jondrush's work-a-round for Loop Roads: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27728

While his method works great for loops, it does not seem to work for roundabouts that have only one segment.

BTW..., can you Permalink an example of one you have edited this way?

That trick is nice, but as stated on the comments, self-loops usually it's easier to just redraw them. And single segment roundabouts I just kill them, the ones I found are worthless.

In my case what has been happening is that the basemap and the newbie editors draw roundabouts with the whole Y/triangle entry/exit, even if it's a very small triangle, and those tend over time to become two-ways and the instructions will become "keep right and then at the roundabout" or giving the wrong exit number.

The mistake I did was to kill the two Y segments, *bridge* the two dots and then reconnect the real segment. This was both making the roundabout have different levels (which may or may not be a problem, but I'm not trusting it anymore) and turning the A-B to B-A because usually I'd select first the next segment and then the previous one, as selecting the first one first would have the arrow on top of the next segment.

On the other hand I can't prove that having roundabouts with B-A segments affect the roundabout instructions, so I'm now fixing them all just in case but it might not have been the problem.

PS: another advantage of killing the Y segments is because most roundabouts here in Portugal (and there are hundreds, if not thousands of roundabouts!) are basically straight crosses, and redoing them turn the roundabout into "straight ahead/turn left/turn right" instead of "take the nth exit", which is much nicer.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 pm

davipt wrote:...
I found a way to do this by mistake (literally) as I turned a lot of roundabout segments from A-B to B-A.

This sounds pretty much like jondrush's work-a-round for Loop Roads: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27728

While his method works great for loops, it does not seem to work for roundabouts that have only one segment.

BTW..., can you Permalink an example of one you have edited this way?
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:23 pm

xtago wrote:Allow for the A/B of a segment to be swapped around instead of spinning it manually or having to do the lot numbering backwards on a segment.

I found a way to do this by mistake (literally) as I turned a lot of roundabout segments from A-B to B-A.

- Create a new segment to split the segment you want to turn around. delete the segment. save.
- pick first the second segment (the one with the B) then the first segment (the one with the A) and click on bridge. If A and B are not correct, pick the segments the other way around and retry.
- adjust the level back to the right level, as the bridge increments the level.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby xtago » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Feedback on the editor.

Seems to work pretty good overall.

Would like to see a settings page so you could change default settings in the editor on roads, like set new streets as one way or 2way by default or making new roads all 2 way to start off.

Maybe allow the snap setting to be changed as sometimes it doesn't snap if your zoomed too far out or have a road pin too close to a node/junction.

Maybe go back to the last editor drop lists so you don't have to click on apply to properly apply a name change and remove the enter key being a left mouse button click for automatically using the first item in the drop down.

At times you can enter the names and click on apply it might not take on the new name details on a segment, then needing to have the details reentered and clicking on apply again, I've had the details dropped a handful of times and fewer still dropped 2 or 3 times.

You should see about allowing the states to be edited or allowing them to be added some where so a country can have proper states that can be selected.

Notes should be added.

Besides Alt names you should allow for Roads to number detail that show up as part of the name or a picture of the A2 etc that countries have on roads and highways and allow the app to show the picture as you go along a route.

Allow for the A/B of a segment to be swapped around instead of spinning it manually or having to do the lot numbering backwards on a segment.

Not a major thing for Australia but if not added already have a segment that denotes a border of a country or state.
xtago

Postby xtago » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:52 am

Mike-1323 wrote:
fotrik wrote:OK, maybe I missed something but still don't see why it's a bug of the browser and not the editor.

I'm not an expert on cross-platform coding, but it may be that FF is not implementing something in a standard way. Meaning that code could be written to a cross-platform standard and work correctly on two or three browsers and fail on FF because of the way FF implements the code. I'm not saying that is whats happening, but that's a scenario that makes the behavior a browser bug (or feature depending on your point of view). That scenario is why IE is somewhat off on its own for website compatibility, it's been very poor (non-standard) at implementing standards.

The horizontal segment issue has been around long enough that there should be a workaround in place, especially with the release of the new version of the editor. So I guess either they can't figure out why the behavior is the way it is or can't figure out how to correct it.

The waze editor doesn't work on firefox at all, for it to be able to used on firefox you need to install a chrome overlay that allows chrome addons to work in firefox.

You'll find it's the overlay that doesn't work with all the waze functions and nothing to do with firefox itself, also you have the problem of Firefox being upgraded all the time and addons/extras/overlays will be broken until updated, The beta is worse though it's generally on a 2-3 week turn around for versions.

The above could be the reason why Waze doesn't code the editor for Firefox, beside Chrome and Safari maybe using the same programming language for browser addons.
xtago

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor