Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Mystery Speed Cameras

Post by RetiredGuyNOTL
First time poster here.
I've noticed the past few days that speed cameras are being placed in my home area. Not by the police, but by other Waze editors. I've driven to these locations, and found nothing. A couple of these are marked as created on yesterday.
My two questions (if anyone knows the answer) are; is it a software fault that they are marked as yesterday when they may have been created months ago, and could it be a software fault that they were meant to be located elsewhere but something messed up?
One of these speed cameras is placed in a car dealer parking lot, which is an oddity itself, but also weird since my home town does not employ the use speed cameras.
RetiredGuyNOTL

POSTER_ID:10584766

Send a message

Post by cherianchris
As far as the trend in India is concerned, I've seen that users use the Fake Speed/Red Light Cameras to earn points. They edit the cameras, I guess that counts as a Map edit. India will need another 10 years before Speed Cameras are everywhere.
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by jasonh300
Bad_Luck wrote:First time poster here.
I've noticed the past few days that speed cameras are being placed in my home area. Not by the police, but by other Waze editors. I've driven to these locations, and found nothing. A couple of these are marked as created on yesterday.
My two questions (if anyone knows the answer) are; is it a software fault that they are marked as yesterday when they may have been created months ago, and could it be a software fault that they were meant to be located elsewhere but something messed up?
One of these speed cameras is placed in a car dealer parking lot, which is an oddity itself, but also weird since my home town does not employ the use speed cameras.
For some reason, people like to plant false cameras. Either they're playing with Waze, or they're paranoid and see things that they think look like cameras and report them, although they have no clue what an actual speed or red light camera actually looks like. These things can include the vehicle sensors that activate traffic signals, traffic cameras that the traffic reports on radio and TV use, height sensors, power transformers, telephone booths and mailboxes. IOW, people are uneducated about these things.

If you know that they're not used in your municipality, delete them. If they show brown in the editor, that means they've been reported from the client by a driver, but they haven't actually been approved, and won't show in the client. You still should delete them.

Also, any time you see "Yesterday" as the date on a camera (or a UR, or your drives), it could very well mean "Today", or "Just now". That's a bug that has been called to the developers' attention, but is probably not high on the priority list due to other more pressing problems.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message