These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

train mode for passive wazers

Post by
Hi all! My police car idea was not popular, but lets talk about train mode.

People sometimes want to help drivers and change their waze icon to train (only one icon more!) while they travel by train. Others may see trains on map and maybe in future some warnings or re-directions or "get friend from train" will be calculated? :?

...and ferries? ;)

POSTER_ID:16965399

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Ditto what BT said.

Ferries, as a mode of transportion which is carrying your car, is generally OK. Ferry routes are often mapped as real roads in Waze.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
And even if it doesn't actually snap to the rail line in the app, when the drive is processed, it should "snap" to the rail line. I wonder if someone could confirm?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
fvwazing wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:And even if it doesn't actually snap to the rail line in the app, when the drive is processed, it should "snap" to the rail line. I wonder if someone could confirm?
Alas, no. Railroads do not make it to the client and they are never snapped to in post processing. Because railroads do not show "conscious" wazers on the train will pave again and again, creating red spaghetti on the map. For better results we use "walking trail" instead of railroads here - just make sure they are nowhere connected to the street-network.
Because we are being better at not junctioning non-drivable segments now, I'd rather see Waze display these in the client as a dashed line or whatever is correct for mapping, and be done with it. I really dislike the idea of changing them all to walking trails just for this... :x
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by BlazeTool
Wazing from anything other than an automobile is unsupported and heavily frowned upon as it causes problem reports and mucks with the speed data.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by BlazeTool
fvwazing wrote:A dashed line that is not used for routing, that does not bring points if you drive it, that does not report traffic if you stand still at the station, and that changes your Waze-mood into a little train. Right.
You forgot making the "chugga chugga, chugga chugga, choo choo!" whenever your location changes.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by CBenson
My understanding is that waze principals are involved in the crowdsourced mass transit app moovit. If you really want crowdsourced train information you're more likely to see it there than in waze.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by floppyrod84
An office in the garden of England would look nicer ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Let's hope that Waze detects a 'road' already there and ignores the paving mode!
I too am seeing it, especially map problems popping up so drew in the rail lines (might even do them all) but this needs addressed before it gets worse. This problem is not going to go away.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Why not both?? ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:And even if it doesn't actually snap to the rail line in the app, when the drive is processed, it should "snap" to the rail line. I wonder if someone could confirm?
Alas, no. Railroads do not make it to the client and they are never snapped to in post processing. Because railroads do not show "conscious" wazers on the train will pave again and again, creating red spaghetti on the map. For better results we use "walking trail" instead of railroads here - just make sure they are nowhere connected to the street-network.

"Unconscious" training wazers are those who forget to switch off as they hurry from the P+R to the train. They are punished with drained batteries by the time they arrive at their destination.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1