Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by mike-bronner
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:.....

It would be quite heavy on the browser to draw all segments, including the direction arrows, and more importantly the road names and their position on the segment and the angle in vectorial mode. Not impossible though. It's still easier and cheaper to do it once on the server side.
The browser essentially does this now, though it doesn't actually produce the images for the visible road layer. But every road object is loaded from the server which allows us to manipulate that object. The browser is tracking it, panning it, zooming it, etc., with every movement of the map.

I would think we are closer to having the visible road layer rendered completely in the browser that we think. At least, I hope so! :)
If we're speaking of graphically drawing things out, the browser is already doing this. The server just sends the raw data about the objects (coordinates, basically), then the browser renders everything through SVG data. The selectable road object is actually separate from the road that you see. It is an invisible vector object that gets manipulated as you select it or hover over it.
Because all objects are essentially data, and not graphics, we can create nifty add-ons, like timbones' color hightlights script, that can manipulate segments. :)
The only graphics that the server servers up is the Bing imagery, which comes from Bing servers, so it doesn't present an additional load on the Waze servers.
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
mike-bronner wrote:If we're speaking of graphically drawing things out, the browser is already doing this. The server just sends the raw data about the objects (coordinates, basically), then the browser renders everything through SVG data. The selectable road object is actually separate from the road that you see. It is an invisible vector object that gets manipulated as you select it or hover over it.
Because all objects are essentially data, and not graphics, we can create nifty add-ons, like timbones' color hightlights script, that can manipulate segments. :)
The only graphics that the server servers up is the Bing imagery, which comes from Bing servers, so it doesn't present an additional load on the Waze servers.
We are saying the same thing I think. What we see visually for the road layer, is a png, aligned with the actual SVG layer. What I'd like to see is the SVG layer only to be loaded, and have the browser draw the actual visible layer too.

In terms of the browser save causing a tile refresh, that is a capability of the current infrastructure and was one of the major features of the upgrade the US got a few months ago, and the World got this past week.

However, we do not want it to happen this quickly, at least, not so the app can download it right away or by default. Can you imagine a tile being saved 20 times in 5 minutes and the app downloading the tile 20 times? That would crush both the infrastrucutre network bandwidth and kill our data plan limits. :) It may be able to do that, but before we do, we need better, more restrictive default app tile download behavior.
Oh yes, didn't mean to contradict, was expanding on your answer. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
Trinity76 wrote: Hi all
Found the solution of this problem:
This error depends on the zoom level of the Firefox browser. After changing it by <CTRL>+MouseWheel it's gone ... :geek:
CU
Perhaps a non-standard text size setting? CTRL-0 will revert back to default text size. See if that helps.
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mike-bronner
Just have this bug with firefox on mac os mountain lion: I can't access the Layers as it is right under the '+' to add new roads, roundabout... :?
I believe this is due to customized font sizing. Hitting CTRL-0 should reset your font size/zoom level, and the menu should display normally again. If that doesn't work, what screen resolution are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mike-bronner
Send a message

Post by mssusa
I don't think he means old cartouche. What I believe he means is yesterday's version of WME.

I'm beat for the day. I'll give it a test tomorrow. I hope it plays nice with the highlighting tool in Chrome. I can't live without it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by mssusa
Had a test run. Not very encouraging, but I might get used to it once bugs are exterminated.

Issues: (On Chrome, Chrome zoom %100, Windows 7 64bit, World server, All helper tools disabled except the live map navigation list).

1. I got road object/image mismatch after I played with it for some time. I tired many combinations with browser full screen/WME full screen. The combination that matches objects to images perfectly is when the browser is on full screen (F11). Reloading fixed the problem, but what happened once will always happen again.

2. Geometry nodes are hard to spot. I don't mind them being circles, but I wish they are black. White on whatever that bright sky color used for highlighting selected roads is called is hard on the eyes.

3. There does need to be a faster way to access street names by just selecting the street without the need for "e" or clicking on "edit".

4. Hitting "Enter" on street name does not update it. I have to click on "Apply". The previous version was very productive by updating the field when you hit "Enter". It is not like it is taking the update directly with the server when you hit "Enter", so why remove this feature?

5. When naming segments of the same street by choosing from the nearby street name drop down list clicking on a names does not select it. Even after multiple refreshes and clearing the cache. Only hitting "Enter" on the keyboard selects the highlighted name. I can bring the names drop down list by typing a space or a couple of letters from the street name, but I can no longer select one of the names using the mouse. I have to scroll down using the arrow keys then hit "Enter". This used to work fine in the previous version.

6. I sometimes get transparent turn restrictions that I can't change. They are shown on the screen, but are not clickable. A refresh solves this problem. I don't know if it is a client side or a server problem.

I'll report back any other issues I find.
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by mssusa
F11 is even much better
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by mssusa
davipt wrote:...
So I'd switch back my request from getting the UR's username visible to getting back some of the cartouche_old functionality, namely the two input boxes, one where the reporter can edit the text of the report (easier to write on the web than the client), and one where the editor can write back some text to the reporter, both inputs visible, so other editors can see the status of the report fix. No users need to be visible. A change on the editor box should generate an email to the reporter, similar to the "closed" email of today, so the reporter can go back to the report and add more data or whatever is needed to fix it.

I'd also like a feature to set reports to be visible only by owner, probably solving the privacy issue for some users. This because I use and abuse the reports to take notes, while driving, of each potential fix and relevant information. Then when I drive a new route it may happen that the route itself becomes drawn just with the reports. I believe this can be frustrating for other editors as most reports are cryptic (hard to write while driving) but enough for me to know what to fix.

PS: Also on the subject of notes, but it would be nice to have a "notes" field for each segments and landmarks where editors could leave notes to other editors stating why some change was done some way.
+1

The communication with the reporter can also be using the client. This way, editors can get in touch with reporters who report an ambiguous issue many times. If they keep reporting then they are still using Waze and this is the best chance to invite them to explain the issue. Just show correspondence from the editors in the client's inbox.

Another +1 for the segment note field. A simple short text field to store notes on why something is done this way or that. I have many issues to address and can't fix all the area surrounding a report. I'm in a starting community with no active editors and no base map. So, I sometimes just fix the issue at hand and lay the base for future work and move on. I'd like to leave a note to myself or any other editor who might pass by.
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by mssusa
davipt wrote:
mssusa wrote:Issues: (On Chrome, Chrome zoom %100, Windows 7 64bit, World server, All helper tools disabled except the live map navigation list).

1. I got road object/image mismatch after I played with it for some time. (...)
2. Geometry nodes are hard to spot.
3. There does need to be a faster way to access street names by just selecting the street without the need for "e" or clicking on "edit".
4. Hitting "Enter" on street name does not update it. I have to click on "Apply".
5. When naming segments of the same street by choosing from the nearby street name drop down list clicking on a names does not select it.
6. I sometimes get transparent turn restrictions that I can't change.
1 was already happening on the previous version. It works on my firefox, but my colleague on chrome was always seeing the roads besides the satellite images, so it's not a new bug (it may happen more now, I don't know)

2. +1, the new drag nodes and the new arrows when a segment is selected are hard to distinguish.

3. having the "e" to edit is already an advance from the previous version. I'd just suggest that pressing 'e' and opening the editing would pre-focus the city input field right away (or the street if city=none, or no focus if both=none of course)

4. works on firefox and safari, it may be a simple javascript fix. which browser?

5. also works on firefox. both clicking on the street with the mouse, as well as arrow down + enter. I do have a issue though. Let's assume there is a road named "N8" and a "N8-1". If I try to edit the street name and write "N" the drop down shows the two suggestions. Then I write 8 because I want N8, but because the first suggestion is N8-1, the input box changes automatically to N8-1. I basically need to write N8+ESC+Enter to dismiss the suggestion box and avoid saving the wrong name.

6. isn't that the transparent arrow feature? just press "a" to make them transparent or opaque, and shift-z to switch between the arrows from the selected segment to the red arrows on the map. some say shift-? gives you a screen with the keyboard commands, but I can only see it on safari and not on firefox, as the ? in the Portuguese keyboard is already a shift-key-right-to-0 so I can't do a double-shift ;)
3. It'd even be better if selecting a segment automatically opens its properties and focuses on city or name as you suggest. Why click to select the segment then click or press "e"? why not just click to select the segment?

4. Chrome 19.0.1084.56.

5. Same problem you describe + earlier problem I described on Chrome.

6. No it is not, or at least it should not be as I have not asked for it. "a" produces the same behavior, but I did not touch it. It happened when I QWed a node while editing and saved before picking individual turns to restrict. It also happened with the previous version once or twice.
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by mssusa
davipt wrote:
3. I don't agree. I personally seldom need to change the city or street name (it should be a one time operation) so I'd hate if every time I'd select a segment the editor would focus on a input box and I'd no longer be able to do anything else as no other key shortcut would work. I like the 'e' shortcut a lot, just miss the auto-focus on city/street to be even faster.
Well.. I think they should cater to me first ;)
Seriously, that's hard to solve. I and, I believe, many many others, are editing on virgin countries where there is no map at all. Most of our work involve creating and naming streets as opposed to fixing geometry, connectivity and/or turn restrictions.

A middle meeting point is to keep the old behavior: when clicking on a link its properties should be opened without changing the focus.

I wish this can be customizable, or someone would add it to the user scripts.
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message