These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Speedometer displays slower than car

Post by Lonewolf147
I did a search an found this thread from 2010, http://it.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7147, but it didn't look like anything was decided or fixed.

My wife and I both have a Droid 4 (previously used Droid 1's) running the latest ICS. For the past several years that we've been wazing, the onscreen speedometer has always shown a speed 2mph slower than what our vehicles show. This has happened in every car we've driven, so it seems to be related to the Waze API and not the vehicle.

I've done the 'drive a mile' test and have confirmed my results that waze is reporting 2mph slower than my actual speed. I've also ran other GPS programs on my phone and they do show the correct speed of my vehicle. That tells me that my phone is correctly measuring my speed and again points to the Waze API as having an issue.

Has there been any other work or discussion of this issue that I'm not finding on the forum? Has this problem been duplicated with anyone else recently?
Lonewolf147

POSTER_ID:207627

Send a message

Post by sahirnsiddiqui
My experience is that both Waze (& my old Garmin GPS) show speeds almost exactly 10km/hr slower than my actual speed.
sahirnsiddiqui
Send a message

Post by rbthomp76
I use Waze on an iPhone 4S. I also have a Garmin that run as well (guidance is pretty well covered). I have noticed that the speed on Waze (and thus the iPhone) is behind when starting and stopping. Once I get to a set speed, both the iPhone and the Garmin agree. My speedometer doesn't but that is a tire thing.

So, I think the GPS units in phones don't update as quickly as a stand alone GPS unit. But then against that is just a guess on my part based on what I've seen.

Perhaps that is what your seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbthomp76
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
jasonh300 wrote:Car speedometers generally read high to keep you out of trouble.
This matches my experience exactly. I drive many different cars (I travel a lot for business) and have used a Garmin and now Waze. Whenever I have passed a "you are going this fast" sign, the speed on the Garmin/Waze matches very accurately to the sign. I have also done a driving test and the Garmin/Waze are more accurate than the speedometer.

Some vehicles (especially those with a digital speed readout) have more accurate speedometers than others.

YMMV
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by Lonewolf147
jasonh300 wrote:Try your Drive A Mile test again. Divot based on mile markers in a different location.

OK, I'll try it again in a few different locations.

Thanks everyone else for the input. 8-)
Lonewolf147
Send a message

Post by loadbang
My little Mazda MX5 Miata and two Ford Focus speedo shows 70mph but Waze and my Garmin satnav show 63-65mph. I have tried holding an anemometer out of the window and Waze was correct. Cars are normally given -10% tolerance at max, also switching wheels and tires to different sizes can have an effect if the circumference is different. My friends Range Rover and Audi R8 match Waze perfectly.

iOS isn't accurate. You can only poll for a location once every 15 seconds plus it also use AGPS, DGPS would be the best way to get accurate readings.
loadbang
Send a message