Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Any Carpool option?

Post by Beachrigg
I'm driving 6 girls home from volleyball practice and dropping them at their respective homes. I'd love an option to add the six addresses from my contacts and let Waze efficiently plan my route. Does anything like this exist?
Beachrigg

POSTER_ID:4193636

Send a message

Post by cherianchris
Best solution, add all locations/addresses to your favs and use them. :grin:

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by christryon
True, overall this problem is very tough, but this specific situation (or one that could be limited to a small number of addresses) is not really tough at all given the saturation of the mapping data we now have. The TS problem to visit all addresses in a large number (100's or 1000's) of addresses is really where the problem is.

If i were to try and solve this manually, I would input all the addresses into google maps, then keep reordering them until i had a close to optimal route. Any mapping system today can do the same with a discrete number of addresses, and recalc after each destination is reached.
christryon
Send a message

Post by Daknife
And, you just want six addresses, the next person just want's seven, then 10 then 13 and so on. Each additional location compounding the difficulty exponentially. Where does Waze set the max threshold? And what happens when Waze has a route all figured out and you decide to stop for gas, or a traffic jam blocks the preferred route, all that computing power has to be applied yet again.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by fvwazing
It wasn't so long ago that we were plagued with timeouts in the routecalculation. Your 6 little girls could have caused timeouts for 120 other Wazers then ((n-1)!). Before Waze takes routing calculation to the next level their infrastructure must be ready for it.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
daknife wrote:And what happens when Waze has a route all figured out and you decide to stop for gas, or a traffic jam blocks the preferred route, all that computing power has to be applied yet again.
Even in the situation as it is now, with one stop, it would totally make sense to put the burden of calculating a DETOUR of your road locally, in the client. It should bring you gently (no U-turns please!) to a continuation of your precious server-calculated route. Only if you deviate again of that new proposed route should the server kick in. This scheme would also omit the loosing of your selected alternative (if it is #2 or #3 on the list of alternatives).
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by RallyChris
Not at this time. This is called the travelling salesperson problem. The more destinations you have, and the more options to do them in, it takes longer and longer to solve.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png